Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo FS - Honest opinions appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo FS - Honest opinions appreciated...

Hey guys,

I wanna get back into an Evo, I've had several in the past, and there is a IX for sale that I may be buying, but wanted to get some feedback from some members on here...

Ad:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4446903965.html

The guy selling it is a nice and honest guy, but here is what I'm thinking about....he doesn't have any records of when anything was done or any info on the motor build, so he's going by what the previous owner told him, so that's kinda up in the air.

A buddy of mine was saying he's had issues with built motors depending on who does them, and not knowing any of the details makes it a little sketchy.

I drove it and it shifts smooth and pulls strong, but from talking to ER who did look at and do a quick retune on the car, it sounds like it has an issue with the WG, but other than that looks pretty solid.

Any input would be much appreciated, as I would love to buy it, but don't wanna regret it after! Thanks!
Old May 13, 2014, 06:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Other than the bold statement of "easily one of the cleanest Evos out there" it sounds decent. You should be able to lower his price based on the fact there's no documentation. If he built it himself that would be one thing, but since it's not there should be paperwork that the previous owner supplied to him. A wastegate issue isn't a big deal so don't let that hold you up.
Old May 13, 2014, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that white smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Old May 13, 2014, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

I think the white smoke is just because it was very cold out (?) but English Racing did have to replace the head gasket, but I'm pretty sure that shot was after that was done. Head gasket replacement was done, and like I said a minor WG issue that can be fixed for 200-300 probably is all I'd have to do, and even that can wait, I just can't adjust the boost from where it is now...
Old May 13, 2014, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ER has a good rep. I would say if it passes their walk thru I would trust their opinion over all.
Old May 13, 2014, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
ER has a good rep. I would say if it passes their walk thru I would trust their opinion over all.
That's the way I'm leaning...the only thing they said they're not sure about is obviously the build. They haven't torn the motor apart to look at it, but it seems to be ok.

Do any of you guys have a built motor and have had issues with it? I've been warned that a build can lead to issues, but so far is looks alright.

Thanks for the input / feedback!
Old May 13, 2014, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

I'm curious how you have an hta35r on stock ic piping
Old May 13, 2014, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe smog, looking for "stockish appearance"
Old May 13, 2014, 10:24 PM

So there's no previous records what so ever? No receipts of anything on the build? Seems a little sketchy but I'd go for it since English has passed. I'm a little skeptical since I've seen that Craigslist post up for a while. I'd be happy for someone to pick it up and bring it down to Portland, Oregon though! It'd be awesome to know that another evo is in town
Old May 14, 2014, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Might be good, but any built motor could give you issues, especially with no documentation or knowing what shop did it

Best bet in this case is ER's word, but just know what you're getting yourself into. What sort of power did it make?
Old May 14, 2014, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Might be good, but any built motor could give you issues, especially with no documentation or knowing what shop did it

Best bet in this case is ER's word, but just know what you're getting yourself into. What sort of power did it make?
454 awhp I believe on ER's dynojet. Decent power, and that's about what it feels like from driving it.
Old May 14, 2014, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Ask the seller if he is willing to have ER go through it and fix the WG issue. Tell him that if ER gives it the thumbs up, you will pay their bill and buy the car. Plus then the car would be closer to you to pick up.

If the seller if unwilling to have ER check it out and fix the WG issue, that should be a red flag.
Old May 14, 2014, 06:27 PM

Have the car checked out, ER will verify everything and will be worth the time. I bought a used Evo fully built off these forums and it's been nothing but a nightmare. First and last time I do that, been a very long and expensive lesson. Unless you know everything about that build or its vouched for, be careful.
Old May 14, 2014, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Berns82
Have the car checked out, ER will verify everything and will be worth the time. I bought a used Evo fully built off these forums and it's been nothing but a nightmare. First and last time I do that, been a very long and expensive lesson. Unless you know everything about that build or its vouched for, be careful.
I would personally take it to ER, and have them look at it like Berns82 said.
Buying a car off a whim is stupid, and will give you nothing but expensive lessons 70% of the time.. Most people also document maintenance right? I know i do.. with every car i own, makes proving your not a bull****ter that much easier, and paperwork doesn't lie.
Old May 15, 2014, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

If E.R. did the head gasket, they should be able to tell if the motor is built or not.. Stock pistons dont look like aftermarket pistons.. But they probably work on hundreds of evos so they wouldnt remember. If its possible, borrow a borascope that does down into the spark plug.. Easiest way to check..

Quick Reply: Evo FS - Honest opinions appreciated...