Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

over heating issues

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will rebleed the system today! i bought a mishimoto thermostat already. after i get that in and installed ill report back.

if it was te head gasket wouldnt i have milky rad fluid, over heating issues and misfire all the time...?

bought the car from my cousin. i bought it from him he wasnt in the market of selling it.
Old May 20, 2014, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not necessarily at all, people get over heating issues and show no signs of milky fluid that's only if your so far gone that the coolant passages can cross over into the oil passages.

A blown head gasket in just a coolant passage on the block will allow air and heat to get in while it's running, check your coolant overflow usually it has air bubbles in there if that is the case
Old May 24, 2014, 02:37 PM

the new t-stat arrived thursday. i installed it this morning. gonna do a test drive will let everyone one know the results. thanks everyone for chiming in
Old May 26, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Any update in the tstat?
Old May 26, 2014, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
Someone on here had a similar issue. It ended up being a wiring issue with the temp sensor for the gauge. They got water on the pins and when they cleaned and dried them all was fine again.

You have one sensor for the cluster, the other temp sensor for the ecu. You can get a scan tool, or use evoscan to see what the temp sensor to the ecu is reading. If that's fine then check the wiring and condition of the pins for the temp sensor to the cluster.

You can also look at the coolant values on evoscan and then also use a IR temp gun and point it at the thermostat housing. They should be somewhat close to each other, at least for diagnosing purposes. They will be close enough to at least let you know the sensor is working correctly or not.
This/\/\ IF the system has been bled properluy including the heater, then it is what tommi said. The gauge sensor wiring is damaged, dirty or the gauge sensor is not working properly. sensor is like $20 from dealer. Sensor is on the front of the thermostat housing under the top hose. If the hose is leaking on to it, the antifreeze will mess with the grounding. If it grounds thru the antifreeze the gauge will show high temp. Do what Tommi said and log the actual temp from the engine temp sensor or use a scan tool. if it shows normal then the gauge sensor/wiring is the issue.
Old May 26, 2014, 04:35 PM

thanks guys, it was the t-stat. not it runs very cool, according to the oem temp gauge.