Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo good first car?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like these threads start every two days..
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:59 PM

why not? just be smart with it. Lambo would be an excellent first car
Old Jun 2, 2014, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_kid97
whats up,
Ive been saving over 6 years to purchase an evo and finally have the money to pay for the car, mods, insurance and gas. however, this will be my first car, not the first car ive driven (driven beamer,cadillac, kia etc.) but it will be my first owned car.
Please dont nag me about me crashing, or being irresponsible, etc. because in the end i will still purchase the evo.

If you have any helpful advice on it being a first car and if it is hard to maintain (monthly maintenance fees, etc) that would be awesome. evo ix or viii???

also, if you have any knowledge the cheapest places to purchase an evo (provinces in canada or states in the US) that would be great too.

my first post,
thanks
Seems like you answered your owned fate & post.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

I would buy something a little slower as a first car. The car can be expensive to maintain.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokejka
why not? just be smart with it. Lambo would be an excellent first car
Old Jun 2, 2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shortbus115
I didn't catch how old you are but I assume 16 to 18.

At that age my main concern was 16 to 18 year old girls. Unfortunately 16 to 18 year old girls don't like Evos. They do however like BMWs. So you have two options. Get the cheapest BMW you can find and stuff your glove box with trojans.

Option 2, get a kia, honda, VW, whatever. Pop all the emblems off of it and glue a BMW emblem to it. Those girls don't know cars, they know brands. Stuff that glove box full of trojans.

You're welcome.

This...Get any year Jeep Wrangler, take the top and doors off and watch the panties fall. EVOs attract guys, its actually pretty funny. Jeeps are easy and cheap to work on.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 02:32 PM

Hmmm, I would perhaps dip your toe with something a bit slower until you have more experience
Old Jun 3, 2014, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Stop being a *****, buy the Evo! They are slow when stock lol
Old Jun 3, 2014, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Even for a mature and competent driver (which 99% of first time car purchasers are NOT) the Evo makes a poor first car because of the extensive maintenance, insurance costs, and negative attention they get.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly.. Unless your ready and willing (namely your bank account) to support an older EVO as your first car and ill assume daily driver then go for it. They are not the cheapest to maintain. I would if I had the means at a young age. Then there is your driving maturity. One can get into big trouble really quick in a car like an EVO. I wanted one for ages and ages. Have had a 2003 Lancer since I was 17. Now I'm 28 and picked up a 2011 STi last year. Don't regret my time with the Lancer at all. Taught me to work on cars and respect them on the street.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im not sure why everyone makes it seem like we drive exotic cars. Our cars are no more expensive to maintain than any other AWD platform. So you have to change two additional fluids compared to a FWD car. Tcase and rear diff, not a big deal. Which is not expensive when you are doing it every 15,000-30,000 miles. Timing and all related components are done every 60,000 miles, again nothing crazy or expensive.
I say an Evo would be a great first car. And for all you that bought them stock as I did, a stock Evo is anything but fast. I enjoyed it for a couple days then was ready for more power. If you treat your Evo with respect and do the scheduled maintenance you will be good to go. Basically do not launch at every stoplight and redline every gear.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 03:50 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by roach85
Im not sure why everyone makes it seem like we drive exotic cars. Our cars are no more expensive to maintain than any other AWD platform. So you have to change two additional fluids compared to a FWD car. Tcase and rear diff, not a big deal. Which is not expensive when you are doing it every 15,000-30,000 miles. Timing and all related components are done every 60,000 miles, again nothing crazy or expensive.
I say an Evo would be a great first car. And for all you that bought them stock as I did, a stock Evo is anything but fast. I enjoyed it for a couple days then was ready for more power. If you treat your Evo with respect and do the scheduled maintenance you will be good to go. Basically do not launch at every stoplight and redline every gear.
Anything but fast? Tell me. how many cars can out perform it at its price range? Last time i checked a stock 0-60 of 4.8 seconds still passes as fast. If i was a parent I wouldn't let my kid have an evo as a first car.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Anything but fast? Tell me. how many cars can out perform it at its price range? Last time i checked a stock 0-60 of 4.8 seconds still passes as fast. If i was a parent I wouldn't let my kid have an evo as a first car.
It only puts those times down with a launch due to its AWD. Start off slow and go WOT at 5mph and tell me how fast it is. An Evo 9 only "feels" fast stock because of the power delivery around 3500rpms. It falls off up top really badly too. Now an Evo with a tune and a few bolt ons with the boost turned up is a different story. I am a parent and Id let my son get an Evo for his first car.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 06:26 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by roach85
It only puts those times down with a launch due to its AWD. Start off slow and go WOT at 5mph and tell me how fast it is. An Evo 9 only "feels" fast stock because of the power delivery around 3500rpms. It falls off up top really badly too. Now an Evo with a tune and a few bolt ons with the boost turned up is a different story. I am a parent and Id let my son get an Evo for his first car.
Well the car is AWD and those are the times it puts down. Its a sum of its parts, im sure if you took the turbo off it would suffer a loss in 0-60 times too. Anyone who understands how turbo's work would realize that your scenario is exploiting a weakness in how a turbo functions. Why would you judge a car based on its easily avoidable pitfalls? The cars performance is comparable to porsches and the like, seems like alot of car to put in the hands of an unexperienced driver. Im not telling you how to raise your kids, but clearly you havent looked into insurance for a teen with an evo.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Shortbus115
I didn't catch how old you are but I assume 16 to 18.

At that age my main concern was 16 to 18 year old girls. Unfortunately 16 to 18 year old girls don't like Evos. They do however like BMWs. So you have two options. Get the cheapest BMW you can find and stuff your glove box with trojans.

Option 2, get a kia, honda, VW, whatever. Pop all the emblems off of it and glue a BMW emblem to it. Those girls don't know cars, they know brands. Stuff that glove box full of trojans.

You're welcome.
lmao

Quick Reply: Evo good first car?