Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Spark Tech COP is awesome! But one issue remains. (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Tech COP is awesome! But one issue remains. (pics included)

Today I just picked up a set of Spark Tech's COP ignition system off craigslist for great deal. It's in amazing condition and look great in the engine bay. After install, there is a noticeable difference in the idle, the sound of the exhaust, and the smoothness in the entire rev range. Even with the AC on, shifting has improved. Overall a great upgrade, especially since I'll be looking for more power in the near future.

There is one issue though. The reason I upgraded from my stock coilpacks was to solve the issue of misfire (p0300) under a slight load (0-5psi boost) in 5th gear. I'm still getting a check engine light every now and then because of it and I don't know why. I use NGK bpr7es gapped at .025 along with bolt ons tuned on 24psi on 91oct. I also put in fresh Amsoil and spark plugs as of last week.

Possible problem areas could be:
-Twinvent BOV
-Spark plugs or their gap
-The tune

Any input would be appreciated.

Old May 24, 2014, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Close the gap to .022, are they fresh plugs?
Old May 24, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
Close the gap to .022, are they fresh plugs?
Yes. I've been using these for the last 2 years. Should I try the bpr8es or a similar one-step colder plug?
Old May 24, 2014, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Runker
Yes. I've been using these for the last 2 years. Should I try the bpr8es or a similar one-step colder plug?
I actually run BR8es plugs with the same spark tech cop and run 100% denatured alcohol and have no issues, I gap my plugs at .022.
Old May 24, 2014, 03:05 PM

As u stated, possible issue could jest be a retune. Chances are you will gain more so its a win/win.
Old May 24, 2014, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I actually run BR8es plugs with the same spark tech cop and run 100% denatured alcohol and have no issues, I gap my plugs at .022.
Does the fact that I have a stock head/turbo on 91 matter if i'm going to be using the br8es though?
Old May 24, 2014, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm tuned on 91 as well, I use ngk bpr8es gapped at .022. Copper plugs should be changed with every oil change. They foul out pretty regularly.
Old May 24, 2014, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Runker
Does the fact that I have a stock head/turbo on 91 matter if i'm going to be using the br8es though?
No. None what so ever. I have the same set up you have and zero issues. It's something besides the COP unless one of them is flaky which is unlikely.

If you had the issue before and that didn't fix it you have some other problem it's that easy.
Old May 24, 2014, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

I'm tuned on 91 as well, I use ngk bpr8es gapped at .022. Copper plugs should be changed with every oil change. They foul out pretty regularly.
You must be made out of money, not that plugs are overly expensive but you should NEVER have to replace them that frequently unless you are racing with them. Even then that would be excessive.

I guess as long as it works for you it's all good though. You have issues if you are replacing them that often though.
Old May 24, 2014, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Haha out of money, oil alone cost more than plugs. Ngk coppers cost me about 10$ for 4. So why not change them every oil change? But you are right it might be excessive. I just do it for the piece of mind, if they were irdiums I would use them for awhile.
Old May 24, 2014, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Haha out of money, oil alone cost more than plugs. Ngk coppers cost me about 10$ for 4. So why not change them every oil change? But you are right it might be excessive. I just do it for the piece of mind, if they were irdiums I would use them for awhile.
I do the same with my plugs, as running the 8's they do tend to foul out easier. I have heard by many that on a highly tuned car that the ngk coppers only last from 3000-5000 miles.
Old May 24, 2014, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

I usually change my spark plugs every 5000 miles because why not, it's $10. Anyways, I guess I'll try .022 and a retune.
Old May 24, 2014, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
That code popping up is a common issue. Just turn it off in the ecu. There are several threads in the ecuflash section about it.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
That code popping up is a common issue. Just turn it off in the ecu. There are several threads in the ecuflash section about it.
Okay, but clearing a CEL isn't gonna make the misfire go away.
Old May 25, 2014, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you believe you're having a genuine misfire issue? How often does your car crackle, pop and bang?

Quick Reply: Spark Tech COP is awesome! But one issue remains. (pics included)