Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Running no oil cooler...

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running no oil cooler...

Is it terrible to not run an oil cooler? I had an engine failure a while back and removed the oil cooler. I've been running without one and other than noticing slightly higher oil pressure nothing weird. Finishing a tune and was wondering if I should replace it with another stock one. I can't see paying a lot for the aftermarket oil cooler... Thanks
Old May 30, 2014, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stms oil cooler isnt that expensive, but daily driving the car with no oil cooler isnt the best idea. Ive seen track evos do it and it works fine because they need oil temps to come up rather quickly. I have my oil cooler, i daily drive it, and see oil temps top out at 180-190 depending on the weather. I wouldnt want to know how hot it would get with no oil cooler
Old May 30, 2014, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't have an oil cooler right now, I don't have any issues with daily driving it. Oil temps get a little warm while driving in stop and go traffic on a hot day, but other than that no issues at all. Temps get up to 220 or so.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shrtstuff89
Stms oil cooler isnt that expensive, but daily driving the car with no oil cooler isnt the best idea. Ive seen track evos do it and it works fine because they need oil temps to come up rather quickly. I have my oil cooler, i daily drive it, and see oil temps top out at 180-190 depending on the weather. I wouldnt want to know how hot it would get with no oil cooler
How isn't the best idea? Just a question because A LOT of oem manufactures do not use oil coolers. You do realize that the water temp is an accurate representation of your oil temp since the water jackets not only pull heat away from the block but also the oil because the oil is in contact with the block. I have a galant didn't have an oil cooler. Now I have awd converted it with a MAP 2.4LR build ect, and I decided to NOT run an oil cooler because I didn't want to. I will keep track of oil temps since I have a temp gauge, but I felt that it isn't NEEDED you know? 190 degrees is ok by me, and your coolant system will keep your oil temp in check. BUT this is only my opinion. If you track it hard that the turbo is hot you will see an increase in oil temps, but for a dd you are ok
Old May 30, 2014, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I didn't run one for well over a year (OEM unit got pierced)

Not a single ill effect to speak of UOA's still looked fine plenty of oil life left
Old May 30, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't use one. Daily driver with 500+hp, car has been autocrossed, drag raced, roll raced, and road tripped.
Old May 30, 2014, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im gonna run without one, for now at least. Car is not DD and I don't track it. Just a little spirited driving and a few drag passes occasionally. My setup should be just over 500hp so its nice to see some higher HP cars running w/o one. Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:55 PM

I drive a 335i and temps range 220-240. Although lower temps might be better. As long as you have full synthetic you will be fine. Just do earlier oil changes. Oil cooler would be a better choice.