Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AEM EMS v1 vs Stock ECU

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AEM EMS v1 vs Stock ECU

I have an opportunity to buy a AEM v1 for cheep but was wondering if it worth anything. Can the v1 give me more hp over stock ecu with both being tuned. What would be the reason to switch. Any help would be great Thanks in advance
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you tuning it yourself or having someone else or a shop tune it?

If you're doing it, then stock ECU gives you 'less' ability to break things and you'd want training on the EMS before you started.

If someone else is doing it, talk to what they know and use that. I have an EMS (because I went E85 before the ECU could do it) and I tinker with it, but if you're going to have someone set it and leave it, the stock ECU can do most things the EMS can. (I know the EMS can do crazy stuff, but if he needed crazy stuff, he'd know he needed the EMS).

Short and sweet, stick with the stock ECU unless your tuner knows the EMS very well.
The following users liked this post:
O0oDC (Mar 8, 2016)
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If you are going to run an aftermarket ECU only do the AEM Infinity or something that is VE. Otherwise stick with the stock ECU.

I ran an AEM Series 1 for years with out any issues, I loved it but I could tune it and I had my maps super dialed in. So my car would start close to stock, and idle and drive very well. Most AEM EMS setups that I see are not that way.

The newer standalones out there are all VE, and are very fast and support flex fuel. So if you really want to spend money on an ECU stick with an AEM Infinity 6/8 or the ProEFI.

Also the last thing to remember with any ECU aftermarket or stock it is only as good as the tune on it.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBoz
If you are going to run an aftermarket ECU only do the AEM Infinity or something that is VE. Otherwise stick with the stock ECU.

I ran an AEM Series 1 for years with out any issues, I loved it but I could tune it and I had my maps super dialed in. So my car would start close to stock, and idle and drive very well. Most AEM EMS setups that I see are not that way.

The newer standalones out there are all VE, and are very fast and support flex fuel. So if you really want to spend money on an ECU stick with an AEM Infinity 6/8 or the ProEFI.

Also the last thing to remember with any ECU aftermarket or stock it is only as good as the tune on it.
Did they actually come out with an infinity plug n play for our cars already?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aem v2 is also really good without the infinity price tag
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Okay just found this

http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/...tion_Guide.pdf
Old Jun 5, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock ecu all day. Tephra and all the guys that have worked on breaking it down are amazing. I run 2150s and pump gas/E85 dual map and have great driveablity, stock starting and idle, and have a bunch of awesome built in features.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Both are great. If you already have a stock ECU then keep it. I went pretty fast with one.

Last edited by badev0; Jun 5, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M4Lki3r
Are you tuning it yourself or having someone else or a shop tune it?

If you're doing it, then stock ECU gives you 'less' ability to break things and you'd want training on the EMS before you started.

If someone else is doing it, talk to what they know and use that. I have an EMS (because I went E85 before the ECU could do it) and I tinker with it, but if you're going to have someone set it and leave it, the stock ECU can do most things the EMS can. (I know the EMS can do crazy stuff, but if he needed crazy stuff, he'd know he needed the EMS).

Short and sweet, stick with the stock ECU unless your tuner knows the EMS very well.

Its going to English Racing for a tune when I am done rebuilding it
Old Jun 5, 2014, 02:26 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
The stock ECU will also pass emissions, and even lie for you. Not so much the AEM. Something to consider.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

stock ecu works just as good as a standalone maybe even better
Old Jun 5, 2014, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Alright I will stick with the stock...Thanks for all the advise
Old Jun 5, 2014, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
The stock ECU will also pass emissions, and even lie for you. Not so much the AEM. Something to consider.

This. If you are living in King county you have emissions testing ever other year. With the AEM you'd need to have a stock ECU somewhere which would need to be tuned to pass emissions and then switch back. Unless this is a track/show only car go OEM.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I think 90% of people, or more, with AEMs don't use hardly any of the functionality it offers you over a stock ECU.

I love what our stock ECU can do, BUT, there is a ton of utility in an AEM with all the inputs, outputs, triggers, failsafes, etc. etc. etc. They can do a lot. None of which is necessary to drive to work.

So, I mean it depends on what you want from the car. I'm being 100% serious when I say if you don't know what the AEM can offer over a stock ECU, than I'm positive you don't need it.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

When I took the nitrous off my car, the AEM came out with it. OEM from here on!

Quick Reply: AEM EMS v1 vs Stock ECU