Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Im buying an eve 8 :D:D

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im buying an eve 8 :D:D

I just sold my rx8 and now i want an evo read a bunch of reviews and forums. I know when i go seem i don't want anything modded other than basic bolt ons also to check for boost leaks and compression. Is their anything else i should know about them before checking one out

I found an 03 with 98k yellow for 12k which is an ok price i guess

All feedback is appreciated thanks guys I'm so pumped
Old Jun 7, 2014, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Drive it first and listen to suspicious noise,see if it's not grinding when shifting,no smoke coming out of the exhaust.post some pictures,so more ppl can see it and give you more advises.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 03:05 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Look for a complete maintenance history, do a thorough test drive, and get a Pre-purchase inspection done by a mitsu dealer/ knowledgeable shop. If the seller has a problem with any of this then just move on. Don't let emotions get involved its business.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
maintenance history on a car like this is a VERY hard thing to get and something that shouldn't be a deciding factor. the only maintenance history i have on my car is alignments, the 60k service, and two tunes from ER. everything else has been done by me and i know a lot of others are the same

i have pictures of all the stuff i do though, but receipts? no way. i have receipts for the parts i buy, but not for installs
Old Jun 7, 2014, 06:50 PM

Get a 9 if you can also 03 has no acd
Old Jun 7, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meric
Get a 9 if you can also 03 has no acd
You say that like it's a bad thing. Good drivers don't need ACD! That's just more garbage to have to maintain or fix.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
maintenance history on a car like this is a VERY hard thing to get and something that shouldn't be a deciding factor. the only maintenance history i have on my car is alignments, the 60k service, and two tunes from ER. everything else has been done by me and i know a lot of others are the same

i have pictures of all the stuff i do though, but receipts? no way. i have receipts for the parts i buy, but not for installs
Receipts for the parts is proof. They have dates on them, and its not like you bought the timing belt and then decided not to put it on.

With the auto industry in general being so shady, if you dont have proof that it was done, then you have to assume it wasn't. Im not talking about every oil change (although that would be nice) but at least major stuff like timing belt change and clutch job. Paying special attention to things like, did they change the balance shaft belt when doing the timing belt? I do all my own work, but i still keep all my receipts. If you cant establish if major maintenance was done or not, then the price should reflect that.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 7, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Biggie,if price is right who cares about receipts.like demon stated if it's done by you,you can't proof $hit.i know what you mean but at the end if buyer can afford it he buys it.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by egis
Biggie,if price is right who cares about receipts.like demon stated if it's done by you,you can't proof $hit.i know what you mean but at the end if buyer can afford it he buys it.
I do all my own work, and i can easily prove it. I have a file with all my receipts in it. Im not a fan of buying someone else's money pit step child of a car. Its buyer beware. This goes for all cars, but especially cars like the Evolution.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cal City Evo
You say that like it's a bad thing. Good drivers don't need ACD! That's just more garbage to have to maintain or fix.
Then why is acd and Ayc on all jdm models. Has nothing to do with if you can drive I am just trying to steer him in the direction of getting the best bang for the buck. Sorry in the north we deal with weather not just nice weather so as a dd I wouldn't want to just rest on my driving skills alone as snow rain a ton of gravel is a factor. Consider all your options. It took me like 6 months to find the right car. 03 evo has lost a lot of value price wise. I do all my work my self as well.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ACD sucks I wish I had an 03. Since you're up north check for rust! my buddy has an evo from PA and that thing is a pain with all of the rust I hate it
Old Jun 8, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Big issue with my 03 was the chronic syncro problem. It would often grind while shifting from 4th into 5th. It improved with a fluid change, but would still happen from time to time. Also had my transfercase go out too. Hope you find a good one, the cars are amazing (in my opinion).
Old Jun 8, 2014, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have at least like a thousand extra for additional maintenance after buying one. certain things wear out by that mileage but usually isn't too bad if you get on top of it.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:37 AM

Bring a friend to look t the car. It's always good to have another set of eyes look over the car. And they won't be as attached to the purchase as you are so they may notice red flags that you wouldn't normally.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a pre-purchase inspection. With the Evo platform being often ragged out, or hastily reverted to stock and sold, its much more likely you are buying someone else's money pit. If you go in with your eyes open, and recognize things you intend to replace its not bad, but you have to be observant and a PPI helps with that a lot. Be willing to walk away from a bad choice, and wait until you find the cleanest example you can. Other than that, its a fantastic platform, and you will be very happy with it. I had a turbo RX-8 before the Evo, and I never looked back.