Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8/9 in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 8/9 in Canada

Hey guys I was interested in bringing a Evo 8/9 to Canada and was wondering what the cost would be aside from the actual purchase of the car? I've loved Evos since i was a kid but sadly they were never produced in Canada,
I'm going to be purchasing a Evo then driving it up into Canada in the next year and a half but just wanted to get people's feedback on the expenses of doing so.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:05 AM

I would research to find out if there is any import tax when crossing the border. And obviously make sure your passport is up to date since our countries are as friendly anymore. I remember when you didn't need a passport to get to Canada through NY.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 04:45 PM

Passport is a definite must-have haha :P
I did some research and the fellas on the forum are saying you need the following :

-Car must be CLEAN (no accidents/stolen history)
-According to RIV.ca you'll be paying approx. $200 + 5% GST
-If you're driving it to the border then you must get a temporary licenses plate and insurance for driving
-They hold your car at the border for 3 days to check history and everything so faxing documents would and spending 3 days in the states seems like a better idea
-You have 45 days to get the vehicle cleared of inspection (that means setting up a DRL)

Other than that it seems pretty okay bringing a car like that over here! Now all I need is the money and a clean car! Trying to look for a fairly stock Evo 8/9 is tough! I'm worried the extras people put in there may mess up bringing the car over haha
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

I just saw someone post a link to a web site that is all about importing cars to Canada. Keep searching! It's in here somewhere.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This little calculator should help give you an idea:

http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:02 PM

http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
Old Jun 25, 2014, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
danieltran63, I have imported 2 Evo's myself. I live in Edmonton, come out to a meet on the weekend, I can walk you though the whole process.

My big suggestion is treat it like a vacation, it'll go much smoother, I can assure you that. Less stress. Also make sure you have a good relationship w/ your seller. This last time I was buying one. So many douche bag evo sellers.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:04 PM

That's awesome thanks so much! When and where are the meets that you go to? I think I've seen you around town, waiting to buy a newer Ralliart before I come show off at the meets haha
Old Jul 1, 2014, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by danieltran63
Passport is a definite must-have haha :P
I did some research and the fellas on the forum are saying you need the following :

-Car must be CLEAN (no accidents/stolen history)
-According to RIV.ca you'll be paying approx. $200 + 5% GST
-If you're driving it to the border then you must get a temporary licenses plate and insurance for driving
-They hold your car at the border for 3 days to check history and everything so faxing documents would and spending 3 days in the states seems like a better idea
-You have 45 days to get the vehicle cleared of inspection (that means setting up a DRL)

Other than that it seems pretty okay bringing a car like that over here! Now all I need is the money and a clean car! Trying to look for a fairly stock Evo 8/9 is tough! I'm worried the extras people put in there may mess up bringing the car over haha
I bought my car over from the USA and some of the above is wrong.

For example, "Car must be clean (no accidents/stolen history). No accidents? really? who told you this. I bought my car with a rebuilt title, so you're wrong on that. Car must not have a history of being stolen, well, thats like trying to sell and illegal firearm and try to send it through customs hoping they would allow it.

Anyway, not to waste any time.

Steps to bring car over;

--All you need to get through the border on the USA side is "Ownership" and "Bill of sale".

--Get a "COPY" of the ownership, and send it to CANADA CUSTOMS, they need to verify that the car CAN be brought across (which it can), and they need "72 Hours" with the papers, and that's something you can not rush. They will take their 3 days no matter what.

--Bill of sale will be needed, and you will pay around 2000$(give or take 500) tax's at the Canada Customs side. For example, my tax's were 1000$, and 1000$ because car was built in Japan, and 100$ because car had A/C (dont ask, this is what i was told and this is what i paid).

--I also had the Seller get me a TEMP plate from the US, so i can drive the car across with no issues and then i could get around here and get things done.

--Down here you will need to get DRL-Daytime Running Lights installed to get it to pass safety.

--You will also need a recall clearance documentation which you can Obtain for "FREE" from any dealership in the USA. Keep in mind, some dealerships will try to charge you around 300$ to get this paper. "DO NOT PAY A DIME", hang up and call another dealership. You get this paper for free. They just ask you for the VIN number and basic information, and they'll fax you a copy. Just be nice and call around, you WILL find someone to help you out.

--You will ALSO deal with RIV- Register of Import Vehicles, but you'll be given more information on that (VERY EASY), once you'll be crossing the border on the Canadian side.

Hope this helps. Any questions, feel free to pm me.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
FFFRESH (Sep 26, 2017)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:01 AM

Expense wise. You are looking at about a $200 RIV fee, $100 AC tax, 5% GST (because you are from Alberta), 6% duty because the car was made in Japan. So depending on the vehicle cost, you are looking at ~$2000-3000 in fees at the border.

Logistics wise. There a quite a few things to do. All of which are explained on the RIV site. Basically, make sure the car has a clean title. Get the owner to send you the title, bill of sale, etc after you buy it. You will also need a letter stating that there are no outstanding recalls on the VIN. Send the title to the border crossing you plan to go through at least 72 hours ahead of time. Also have bill of sale and proof of insurance when you cross. If you are driving back you will have to set up temporary registration. Once you have made it into Canada you will have to complete an RIV inspection at Canadian Tire which in this car will include making sure you have DRL's (you have 45 days to do this). Once you finish all this you take your Form 1, Form 2, Bill of Sale, and Insurance to the local registry and register the car.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 06:28 AM

Hi everyone!

It's 2017 and I finally want to also pull the trigger in bringing a Evo 9 from US to Toronto, Canada. Does anybody know if there have been changes to the importing requirements since 2014 (this thread)?

Also... I know it's not a good idea to buy Evo's from US dealerships but I don't see too many that look stock-ish and are private sales. If anybody could give me some tips and advice on finding the optimum Evo 9 in the states, that would be amazing!! I was looking at a bunch in Cali to ship to Buffalo and possibly trailer it from Buffalo to Toronto... but open to anywhere in the States.

Thanks guys! Possibly one step closer to the love of my life.
-Mayo
Old Sep 21, 2017, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mayoslife
Hi everyone!

It's 2017 and I finally want to also pull the trigger in bringing a Evo 9 from US to Toronto, Canada. Does anybody know if there have been changes to the importing requirements since 2014 (this thread)?

Also... I know it's not a good idea to buy Evo's from US dealerships but I don't see too many that look stock-ish and are private sales. If anybody could give me some tips and advice on finding the optimum Evo 9 in the states, that would be amazing!! I was looking at a bunch in Cali to ship to Buffalo and possibly trailer it from Buffalo to Toronto... but open to anywhere in the States.

Thanks guys! Possibly one step closer to the love of my life.
-Mayo
I believe they're the same. Personally i would rather buy a car off the forum (i did that back in 2008 for my car). That way you have better insight to how the car was handled. You can learn a lot about a car through old posts. What was done, what issues they may have come accross...etc. Just my opinion though.
The following users liked this post:
mayoslife (Sep 25, 2017)
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I was thinking also of shipping my car back to Montreal from Dubai eventually.
Worried about mods
Old Sep 26, 2017, 04:45 PM

I plan on moving to Canada soon and looking for an evo. This thread was a big help!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:32 PM

I'm sorry to bring back an old thread. Have been reading in this forum for a long time. But just registered now to get this answer. Almost ready to pull the trigger on importing an evo to Canada. The only question and concern I have in this age 2018 is how tight is customs on both sides to importing a modified evolution? Also some crossings are more lenient then others? I"m at the toronto/niagara border crossing. It is pretty difficult to get a non molested stock evo. Why would I when I can get a modified one that has all the bugs worked out. Sorry again for bringing a dead thread alive again.

Quick Reply: EVO 8/9 in Canada