Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Coolant hose leak..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coolant hose leak..

I was driving recently and noticed the temp gauge going closer toward the hot side but wasn't there yet. I pulled over and shut it off right away. I turned the key to acc to let the fans run for a little bit. I left the car where it was and let it cool down all the way. A couple of hours went by and It was literally down the street from my house so I started it up and started driving very easy about 2 minutes and was able to coast most the way home. The temp didn't even get up fully operating. Once I got home I did some investigating and found the coolant hose going from the back right side of the motor to the throttle body got a hole in it and leaked all the coolant out. I'm replacing the thermostat, the hose and putting new coolant in tonight. I'm also going to let all the air out of the system. My question is do you guys think anything serious could of happen or anything I should keep an eye out for? Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
You will be fine .
Old Jun 20, 2014, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iD33
You will be fine .
Thanks man I just replaced the hose and thermostat and drove it around after bleeding the coolant and everything seems normal
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad you fixed the problem!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
glad you fixed the problem!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys, my car has been good and no overheating or anything. The only thing is now that its starting getting colder outside I have tried using the heater and it basically doesn't blow hot air.. I decided to try to burp it by removing the radiator cap and reving the motor once warm and saw a few bubbles when I was really reving it and it seemed to get hot while doing that. I checked the lines going to the heater core and both were hot. I put the cap back on and a few days after tried using the heat and it still isnt really working well.. any ideas?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beasters
Hey guys, my car has been good and no overheating or anything. The only thing is now that its starting getting colder outside I have tried using the heater and it basically doesn't blow hot air.. I decided to try to burp it by removing the radiator cap and reving the motor once warm and saw a few bubbles when I was really reving it and it seemed to get hot while doing that. I checked the lines going to the heater core and both were hot. I put the cap back on and a few days after tried using the heat and it still isnt really working well.. any ideas?

top off the coolant and put your radiator cap back on. run your car to full operating temps, open up the overflow container and top it off. turn the defroster on full heat full speed, rev it up to 2k rpm for about a minute or so, keep checking to make sure their is always fluid in the overflow. You should start seeing the gauge possibly drop or fluctuate a bit, and maybe even have some of that fluid from the overlfow suck in. let it idle and see if you still get heat coming out of the vents.

If you do this for a minute or 2 and still no heat comes out, then just top off your overflow and shut it down. When it cools down and depressurizes, the coolant should suck some fluid fromt he reservoir and help purge any air.

If that doesnt work you can force the air pocket out, get a coolant pressure tester and pump it up to about 17-19 psi. hold it at that psi for about a half hour, making sure it doesnt drop too much. After that time carefully remove the tester. By doing this you will force the air pocket out, this way has always worked for me on troublesome air pockets when the regular way hasnt worked.

Always make sure your overflow is filled to the proper level.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
top off the coolant and put your radiator cap back on. run your car to full operating temps, open up the overflow container and top it off. turn the defroster on full heat full speed, rev it up to 2k rpm for about a minute or so, keep checking to make sure their is always fluid in the overflow. You should start seeing the gauge possibly drop or fluctuate a bit, and maybe even have some of that fluid from the overlfow suck in. let it idle and see if you still get heat coming out of the vents.

If you do this for a minute or 2 and still no heat comes out, then just top off your overflow and shut it down. When it cools down and depressurizes, the coolant should suck some fluid fromt he reservoir and help purge any air.

If that doesnt work you can force the air pocket out, get a coolant pressure tester and pump it up to about 17-19 psi. hold it at that psi for about a half hour, making sure it doesnt drop too much. After that time carefully remove the tester. By doing this you will force the air pocket out, this way has always worked for me on troublesome air pockets when the regular way hasnt worked.

Always make sure your overflow is filled to the proper level.

Your the man, thank you so much for the detailed response. I really appreciate you taking the time to type these steps out for me. I'll be trying this tomorrow and I'll update how it goes. Thanks again!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

So I just had to remove my radiator anyway to swap turbos and I filled it back up and left the radiator cap off and let the bubbles out. I seemed to have more bubble come up while having the heat turned off. I went back and fourth from the highest setting on defrost to off for like 30 minutes and there is heat but its not very hot like i remember it used to get. When I originally had the coolant hose break on me I decided to replace the thermostat. Could the thermostat be bad or not fully working or do I still have bubbles in my coolant? My car doesn't overheat or anything so I assume the newer thermostat is working fine. Its starting to gt colder out and I need to get this figured out.