Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo for later on..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo for later on..

Decided that you guys are right and getting an evo for a first car is a huge mistake. Been looking at the 2g dsm and seems like a reasonable platform to start and then move my way up to an evo. My budget is about 8-10k. Any others you can think of to help me get into the evo scene? Like cars that will help me mod and learn to mod and maintain an evo on my own without a shops assistance. (Preferably rwd or awd, and the regular lancer and ralliart don't feel right lol)

Ps. I did post this thread in the evo x forum but wanted to get your opinions too

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_kid97
Decided that you guys are right and getting an evo for a first car is a huge mistake. Been looking at the 2g dsm and seems like a reasonable platform to start and then move my way up to an evo. My budget is about 8-10k. Any others you can think of to help me get into the evo scene? Like cars that will help me mod and learn to mod and maintain an evo on my own without a shops assistance. (Preferably rwd or awd, and the regular lancer and ralliart don't feel right lol)

Ps. I did post this thread in the evo x forum but wanted to get your opinions too

Thanks
I wouldn't say it is a "Huge mistake"

it really depends on how sensible you are and how much testosterone or pride you have.

E.g you pull up at a set of lights, you line up with a Mustang, the other guy is obviously a typical muscle head, that wants to race your "Ricer". your friend is sitting in the passenger seat and looks at you with an expectant look.

what are you gonna do?!

Its not about smashing the car up.. its about losing your licence too.

when it comes to a new driver; Experience, is one thing but Stupidity, is another.

I personally would not recommend buying a cheap turbo car to begin with.

due to the fact that you will be spending money to mod it and it will become an addition, as the modding bug has bitten many of us.

id buy a car to experience driving first… to get a feel of; what happens in the wet?… what happens when someone slams the brakes in front?… How fast will you go around a bend?…at an intersection or a rotary, what happens if someone doesn't give-way?

Basically knowing, the limits.

In Aust, when JDMs became very popular around just before the first Fast And Furious, came out. So many turbo cars such as 200SX, WRX & Skyline GTS-t were totalled by New drivers…

They ended up banning these cars for people under 3 years of driving experience.

It would be a shame to Bung up your EVO in those situations … as a first-car

Last edited by wowzers; Jun 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:31 AM

Just keep in mind that a lot/most 1g or 2g dsm's Have been abused or driven really hard. Don't rush into a car because it's heavily modded but more that has been maintained well... My first car was a 1g dsm (which I still own today) the car was a pos when I first got it and was always breaking down on me, when it was running it ran like a bat outta hell. But I had to replace/repair pretty much everything before finally getting it right. Even tho it gave me a lot of trouble at first, I never regretted it because it taught me a lot. Not only how to work on the 4g63, but how to respect my car and take care of it. So when it came time to getting my evo I knew what not to do lol.. Hope that helps. GL bro be safe
P.s. Have u considered a galant vr4?

Last edited by MrEvo420; Jun 21, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get yourself a honda civic, eg or ek
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Like I told you in the other thread. Get an integra and enjoy driving. Buying an old DSM is gonna be super costly. If that's what your planning doing, it would be better to just keep saving and buy a moped.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MrEvo420
Just keep in mind that a lot/most 1g or 2g dsm's Have been abused or driven really hard. Don't rush into a car because it's heavily modded but more that has been maintained well... My first car was a 1g dsm (which I still own today) the car was a pos when I first got it and was always breaking down on me, when it was running it ran like a bat outta hell. But I had to replace/repair pretty much everything before finally getting it right. Even tho it gave me a lot of trouble at first, I never regretted it because it taught me a lot. Not only how to work on the 4g63, but how to respect my car and take care of it. So when it came time to getting my evo I knew what not to do lol.. Hope that helps. GL bro be safe
P.s. Have u considered a galant vr4?
Yeah the amount of boost some people are running and claiming never been tracked or abused is unreal.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by wowzers
I wouldn't say it is a "Huge mistake"

it really depends on how sensible you are and how much testosterone or pride you have.

E.g you pull up at a set of lights, you line up with a Mustang, the other guy is obviously a typical muscle head, that wants to race your "Ricer". your friend is sitting in the passenger seat and looks at you with an expectant look.

what are you gonna do?!

Its not about smashing the car up.. its about losing your licence too.

when it comes to a new driver; Experience, is one thing but Stupidity, is another.

I personally would not recommend buying a cheap turbo car to begin with.

due to the fact that you will be spending money to mod it and it will become an addition, as the modding bug has bitten many of us.

id buy a car to experience driving first… to get a feel of; what happens in the wet?… what happens when someone slams the brakes in front?… How fast will you go around a bend?…at an intersection or a rotary, what happens if someone doesn't give-way?

Basically knowing, the limits.

In Aust, when JDMs became very popular around just before the first Fast And Furious, came out. So many turbo cars such as 200SX, WRX & Skyline GTS-t were totalled by New drivers…

They ended up banning these cars for people under 3 years of driving experience.

It would be a shame to Bung up your EVO in those situations … as a first-car
Yea I know what you mean, knowing that I would probably have raced the mustang was an indicator I should probably start with a "beginner" car Andover my way up
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Like I told you in the other thread. Get an integra and enjoy driving. Buying an old DSM is gonna be super costly. If that's what your planning doing, it would be better to just keep saving and buy a moped.
Sadly all the integras near me are beat to crap or over priced cause there an "iconic car". Some ppl man.... Lol
Old Jun 21, 2014, 01:38 PM

I say get a good, clean, well maintained 2g dsm gsx/gst. I have owned one for over 10 years, great cars (when taken care of) There are a lot that have been beaten on, just keep an eye out for a nice one and you will not be disappointed. Mine has been very reliable for the amout of abuse I put it through (it survived all of my 20's) not to say I have not had to fix alot of the that car, most was self inflicted, Plus it drives very similar to an evo, I just bought my first evo, and was surprised at how similar it felt, granted the evo does everything better! Plus working on a eclipse, will get you ready for an evo.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
This is simple. Galant VR4. I own a 1g, 2 2g's, a GVR4 and an Evo. I can tell you right now that if you're looking at spending 8-10k on a DSM you could get yourself into a very nice one easily. If you want something Evo-like, without the evo insurance, cost of maintenance, or cost of entry- get yourself a VR4 galant.

Since I'd assume you've never heard of one (like most) they use the same drivetrain as a 1g dsm. 6 bolt turbo'd 4g63, AWD, AWS, 5 speed. The US versions all had black leather interior, you can get a power sunroof model, or no sunroof. These came fully loaded for their time (1991/92 years only). It's a grandma's grocery getter with all the potential of a 1g/2g. The good news for you is 1- They're cheap (IIRC I paid 2k for mine bone stock, and drove it 1100 miles home) 2- They're easy to work on and parts are abundant for the drivetrain (albeit body panels and interior pieces are harder to come by as only 3000 models were imported in the US) 3- They're generally* not as hacked up as most DSM's you see. They attract an older crowd more interested in the mitsu heritage/rally legacy, than the typical DSM crowd who's just interested in going straight and fast as cheap as possible.

Pic is of my personal 91 GVR4 #736/2000. I'm running evo 9 bilstein suspension, evo 8 ECU, and just a few minor bolt ons and it's a great daily. Average 24mpg in town, insurance is $20/month Liability (22 years old/ 3 minor tickets), and it's got enough power to make the honda guys cry.
Attached Thumbnails Evo for later on..-galant.jpg  
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by black_out
This is simple. Galant VR4. I own a 1g, 2 2g's, a GVR4 and an Evo. I can tell you right now that if you're looking at spending 8-10k on a DSM you could get yourself into a very nice one easily. If you want something Evo-like, without the evo insurance, cost of maintenance, or cost of entry- get yourself a VR4 galant.

Since I'd assume you've never heard of one (like most) they use the same drivetrain as a 1g dsm. 6 bolt turbo'd 4g63, AWD, AWS, 5 speed. The US versions all had black leather interior, you can get a power sunroof model, or no sunroof. These came fully loaded for their time (1991/92 years only). It's a grandma's grocery getter with all the potential of a 1g/2g. The good news for you is 1- They're cheap (IIRC I paid 2k for mine bone stock, and drove it 1100 miles home) 2- They're easy to work on and parts are abundant for the drivetrain (albeit body panels and interior pieces are harder to come by as only 3000 models were imported in the US) 3- They're generally* not as hacked up as most DSM's you see. They attract an older crowd more interested in the mitsu heritage/rally legacy, than the typical DSM crowd who's just interested in going straight and fast as cheap as possible.

Pic is of my personal 91 GVR4 #736/2000. I'm running evo 9 bilstein suspension, evo 8 ECU, and just a few minor bolt ons and it's a great daily. Average 24mpg in town, insurance is $20/month Liability (22 years old/ 3 minor tickets), and it's got enough power to make the honda guys cry.

+1 on the galant vr-4, their usually not torn to shreds like most 1g/2g dsm's. Since their not as well know...I personally have never owned one but is still on the list of cars to own someday ... (Make great sleepers, cuz a lot of people don't know much about em)

Last edited by MrEvo420; Jun 21, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
SRT4's and Mazdaspeed 3's seem to be a common turbo platform that people come from (for modern-day cars)
Old Jun 21, 2014, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_kid97
Yea I know what you mean, knowing that I would probably have raced the mustang was an indicator I should probably start with a "beginner" car Andover my way up
Well at least you are honest.

Ive been driving for 15 years, since i first got my licence.

Till this day, i still find those moments very difficult, hard to swallow your

ego.

Dunno how strict the law is there… but in Aust, 40KM/H (24mph) over the speed limit is an instant loss of licence.

I see people suggesting the, Galant VR4. Seriously dude, if your gonna buy

that. you may as well buy the EVO!!! Save your money on a low

maintenance car, get the experience of driving. Once your Confident, Buy ONE!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:53 PM

For a first car, go for a responsive, durable, and forgiving car that is low maintenance and simple repairs. Basically, not a Mitsubishi, although the Eclipse is not a terrible idea. Modding potential is a bonus to get some experience with the process.

Some ideas: Miata, RX8, V6 Camaro, 3rd Gen MR2, Probe GT, Mazda 3, Focus, Neon. An Eclipse is not a terrible idea.

I had a Conquest (aka Starion) as my first car, and it went to crap because I couldn't afford to maintain it. I'll do an extra century in purgatory for that.