Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

buying a evo soon ... question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying a evo soon ... question

Hello every one I'm currently looking for my first evo 9 mr. I found one mostly stock it's just sitting on tein coilovers and it has 107k miles. He's asking for $16,500 for it. Do you guys think it's a good deal? I'm also worried about the transfer case and transmission going out soon because of the mileage. Of course there are many factors that can determine the life of the tranny and transfercase, but should I be worried about it just because of the miles? Im just going to use the car as a DD and thats it. Planning on keeping it pretty stock as well just might add basic bolt ons.Thanks for your help and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section I'm new to forums.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

First I will look the history the car like car fax and thing like that. Transmission service on 60k timing belt should be change by now (find prove). If the vehicule has been good maintain I don't see why.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by oscarquinones
First I will look the history the car like car fax and thing like that. Transmission service on 60k timing belt should be change by now (find prove). If the vehicule has been good maintain I don't see why.
thanks a lot man I will be doing that.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

$16,500 with those miles seems high to me. I know one guy was posting in another thread about how the Evo 9's are appreciating right now but I wouldn't pay that price. I got my Evo from a stealership with all the mods in my signature for $13,500, they wanted $16,900. The body has only 89k miles and built engine has probably less than 10k miles on it. The KBB on mine, not taking into account any mods, and going with the body mileage and going with "good" condition only gives mine a value of $15,056. Excellent was still only $15,800. I'd offer him $15,500 tops.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

And I will admit, KBB supports the value of that MR, actually in very good condition with those miles it lists value at 18k. So in terms of KBB value then yes, $16,500 is a good price. I still would offer $15,500 and go from there. I always low ball when buying vehicles.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:33 AM

Any reason why a MR? I only ask because most of my friends have transfer case and transmission issues. I know when we first get the car we say "oh just bolt ons" but we mod like crazy. Basic bolt ons are ok, but once you get power mods (bigger turbo and such) thats were issue starts. I always suggest 5 speed GSR instead. I sold my 03 GSR evo 8 in 2005 for $19k fully modded with 60k miles
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

the 6spd on the MR is ****ty isn't it?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by NSDQ
the 6spd on the MR is ****ty isn't it?
Yes very much so. I know some MR owners who switch to 5 speed because they cant handle the power or abuse.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the price is about right, evo 9 with 100k go for 18K allday, but it also depends your location too. dont let miles scare you because theres evos on this site with 200K+ miles and still runing strong, just make sure you look at the carfax accidents, rebuilt title ect. also the maint. make sure you flush the drivetrain fluid, replace timing belt, water pump kit things that are gonna make the car run at its peak. Since your gonna DD the car and keep it fairly stock I dont see why you would have any issues, the 6 speed is great shift smooth alot of ppl dont like it because they abuse there cars 24/7 and obviously its gonna break just like any other vehicle. but theres alot of ppl running 6 speed and pushing big numbers but like I said it all depends on how you treat it, if you use to play around sometimes race an subby or something you should be good, but if you use it to race every civic and integra that pulls up next to yea its gonna start grinding even a 5 speed will. Just take care of it and it will take care of you
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:03 AM

Nice, another 300zx owner! Any pictures or detail on your Z?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The MR 6 speed is perfectly fine for daily driving with bolt ons. Don't get confused with everyone saying it's junk because unless your running a bigger turbo and pushing probably 500+ the 6 speed will hold up just fine. I have full bolt ons and I haven't had 1 issue in over 5 years/20k miles with my 6 speed. I change the drivetrain fluid regularly and keep my car maintained and I haven't had any issues. Once you get into the higher power, 4th gear is usually the 1st thing that seems to go.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:38 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
if it makes you feel any better, i have 125k on my drivetrain and no issues. the previous owner neglected the car (but never raced) and i beat up on it at the track as often as i can. no noises, no weird shifting. i love my 6spd.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Any updates in your decision
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:01 AM

My MR 6 speed is still going strong at 87k. Just don't launch your car unless you know how to put in a cluch or have 1500 bucks for a new one. Other things will wear faster from racing like rotors, pads, and tires. At around 250 a set for each rotors and pads and tires can be high depending on what you get also the fact you have too keep them with in a certain tolerance. You should expect these costs being a bit more than like a nissan or a honda but it is more bang for your buck to be honest.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:09 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
if you are daiy driving the car, you can keep costs down plenty low. no need for fancy parts. luckily, these cars are a blast to drive, even stock.

Quick Reply: buying a evo soon ... question