Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

For those with a SS clutch line

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with a SS clutch line

Looking at buying a SS clutch line for various reasons and need help deciding between the full length or a half length. For those that have one or the other do you regret not getting the other style? If so why?

I have been seeing company's claim that the full length is the way to go due to the stock hard line breaking...anybody experience this?

One thing that has been kinda a turn off for me on the STM full length is a lack of coating on the bare SS hose.

Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:18 PM

I have the STM full length, no complaints from me. Can't comment on a before/after difference on just the line, because I had a Comp clutch put in at the same time… But the setup as a whole feels less "spongy"

I also left in the clutch pill as per the recommendation from the shop I had put in my clutch, which is a well known evo shop in Socal.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
STM full length line on my car as well and unfortunately I don't have much valuable feedback as it was also put on along with a new clutch.

I went with the full line because it eliminates a connection point which in my eyes means less chance of a failure.

They are pretty cheap so why not just get the complete one and call it a day?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the agency ss line I think for four years and I had the pill removed and I love it. I don't launch though.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i switched the whole line as well but i never really noticed any differences.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the responses everybody, seems like everyone so far goes with the full length.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
STM full length line on my car as well and unfortunately I don't have much valuable feedback as it was also put on along with a new clutch.

I went with the full line because it eliminates a connection point which in my eyes means less chance of a failure.

They are pretty cheap so why not just get the complete one and call it a day?
Agreed with eliminating a connection point to prevent failures and leaks. My concern isn't cost but my issue with the full length ones (at least that I've seen) is there is no covered option. Not sure why and it may just be my "OCD" kicking in but I would prefer a line with a protective coating. Are there other options beside the STM version?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rongdoer
I've had the agency ss line I think for four years and I had the pill removed and I love it. I don't launch though.
Is the agency one coated? I'm looking to remove the pill as well, pretty much the main reason for doing the line since I will already have to bleed the system. Good to know you like it, thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

I put in the full length one from STM. I cant really say I noticed a whole of difference actually, from the oem setup. If I had the option to do it again, would I purchase ANY ss clutch line... I don't know really.

IMHO, I don't know if the clutch hard line breaking is really a issue that is a concern to warrant an upgrade, or a bit of a sales pitch. I purchased mine to see if any differences in pedal firmness would be noticeable, but it felt the same really. I guess if you think about it, the oem hardline should give you the firmest pedal feel in theory since its a hard line and cant flex.

With all this said my STM SS full length clutch line has been performing flawlessly. Its a quality piece for sure.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by WWJPD
Thanks for the responses everybody, seems like everyone so far goes with the full length.

Agreed with eliminating a connection point to prevent failures and leaks. My concern isn't cost but my issue with the full length ones (at least that I've seen) is there is no covered option. Not sure why and it may just be my "OCD" kicking in but I would prefer a line with a protective coating. Are there other options beside the STM version?
I've been looking into a SS Clutchline and it looks the works and ams lines are coated. Living in NY corrosion is also a worry of mine.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kreeker
I've been looking into a SS Clutchline and it looks the works and ams lines are coated. Living in NY corrosion is also a worry of mine.
I covered mine in wire loom to keep it from chafing where it contacts the chassis. If you wrapped it in electrical tape then covered it in a loom it should prevent it from corrosion from the elements. You just wont be able to see the fancy ss bling, haha.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sure there isn't much difference in the choices you outlined. If you get to cutting nuts, no way a flexible line will out do a solid line---the whole purpose is to control expansion as a result I replaced the rubber line as that's the flex point, no need for anything more---but hey as you see others have different opinions and your likely not going to feel the difference either way. What you didnt state is why you want to do it--?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I bought and installed the STM SS line when I replaced the bad clutch master cylinder. It made the installation much easier. I did not notice any operational difference but as others have mentioned it's a quality piece.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by meckert
sure there isn't much difference in the choices you outlined. If you get to cutting nuts, no way a flexible line will out do a solid line---the whole purpose is to control expansion as a result I replaced the rubber line as that's the flex point, no need for anything more---but hey as you see others have different opinions and your likely not going to feel the difference either way. What you didnt state is why you want to do it--?
I was leaning towards doing just the upper half before making this post for just that reason you mentioned. In looking into the lines I came across a statement (believe it was STM) saying the stock hard line was a failure point. Although I find it hard to believe and figured it was just a marketing pitch as another member mentioned, I was curious to find out if people have in fact had that issue.

A few reasons for wanting to replace it:

- removing the clutch pill (already going to be bleeding the clutch so why not replace the line)
- "bling" factor I suppose
- stock rubber line almost 10 years old (although it shows no signs of dry rot or defect)
- hoping to increase clutch feel and responsiveness, about a 1.5 years of ownership and disliked it since day one. I'm assuming the pill is mostly to blame for this.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My oem hard line failed on my 03 afew months back. I installed the stm full length and have had no problems ever since. I say go for the full length...
Old Jul 5, 2014, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Since no one else has been able to put feedback on half SS line, I'll give you my own. I purchased my vehicle which had a half SS line installed. After X months I lost my "clutch" due to stress at the midway point and it started leaking. The hardline also had a hairline crack so that was replaced as well.

My car was a DD and needed it back a.s.a.p so the shop I went to had an extra half SS available so I didn't go full length. I have one in my possession now and will swap it out next time it fails or when I start my tare down for next years setup.

I would say go with the obvious full length to reduce risk of hairline cracks that are prevelant in the oem setup and reduce any chance of my failures onto anyone else!

Quick Reply: For those with a SS clutch line