Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mounting/balancing costs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mounting/balancing costs

So, what do you guys pay to get your tires mounted to your wheels and balanced? I have a brand new set of wheels and tires and I was quoted $160.00!!!! That sounds ludicrous. I don't even need them to install them on my car as the car is at home on stands waiting for coilovers. Isn't this overboard?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
look for a discount tire in your area
Old Jul 5, 2014, 04:04 PM

That's insane. I had mine done at Goodyear/quality tire. They were gonna charge me like $85 for all 4, but ran into I guy I knew that worked there n ended up charging me $15 each wheel (n I still thought that was a lot lol). Look around.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Ok I thought so, thanks. I've just really picky cause I don't want these scratched, but 160 is total nonsense.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 04:57 PM

When I had my old 8 i was swapping the rims to sell it. To dismount the old tires, remount the old tires to my new rims and balance them I think I paid $150, totally sucks but I don't know anyone who can do it for cheap. I would totally do it myself but don't have the tools because anything $100 and over is ridiculous lol but yeah thats what I paid
Old Jul 5, 2014, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BadassEvo8
When I had my old 8 i was swapping the rims to sell it. To dismount the old tires, remount the old tires to my new rims and balance them I think I paid $150, totally sucks but I don't know anyone who can do it for cheap. I would totally do it myself but don't have the tools because anything $100 and over is ridiculous lol but yeah thats what I paid
BUT I'm literally giving them the easiest job ever! Brand new wheels in the box and brand new tires. Just mount wheel to tire and balance. That's it. Not even mounting to the car and bolting them back up, or taking a wheel off old tired. 160 is stupid! Lol
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:14 AM

Yea I hear u about not wanting them to damage your new wheels. So cheaper isn't always better. But still $160 is a lot given they don't need to dismount old tires n disposal fees lol... gl brotha.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:54 AM

I just recently had mine done at Discount Tire (Americas Tire in Cali) and they charged me $20 a tire to remove and swap to opposite side and re-balance. That was with 285/30/18's on 18x10's which were more because they are over-sized wheels.

They used inside weights, too. I hate when a shop hammers weights to the lip of a shiny new wheel...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluescoobywagon
I just recently had mine done at Discount Tire (Americas Tire in Cali) and they charged me $20 a tire to remove and swap to opposite side and re-balance. That was with 285/30/18's on 18x10's which were more because they are over-sized wheels.

They used inside weights, too. I hate when a shop hammers weights to the lip of a shiny new wheel...
They're gonna hate me when I go in. "I need my brand new wheels in brand new condition after your done and don't put weights on the outside"
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:04 PM

most places up here in VT will do it for $50-60 dollars or so. thats bringing your car in and having them swap the tires over onto the rims and putting them back on.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20 bucks a tire if you have them take the tire to get rid of. I personally keep my tires just incase
Old Jul 7, 2014, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
They're gonna hate me when I go in. "I need my brand new wheels in brand new condition after your done and don't put weights on the outside"

Most of the designs for our evo wheels, with exception of the oem, you don't use the outside weights. With the oem wheels you get a more exact balance but I think they look hideous. Honestly this mostly means that if you use the outside pound on weights and lets say it takes 30 grams, if you were to set the machine to balance that same rotational assembly but now using stick on weights on the inside, it would just take a little more, like say 50 grams. But at least you don't have the ugly weights on your shiny new wheels.

There are shops that have that new hunter machine that removes and installs tires without making a scratch. We have one at work and its really nice.

Call around and tell them you have expensive wheels that you don't want scratched. Ask if they have are using a Hunter TCA34 (Auto34) tire machine. Youtube it and youll see how it works, pretty cool.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
We charge $1 a inch, so for a set of 4 18's, price would be $72 mounted and balanced.

-Ethan
Old Jul 7, 2014, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
should be $15 to $20 each tire to mount and balance.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

$20 per tire was $80 total did that a week ago

Quick Reply: Mounting/balancing costs