Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo won't stay on after letting off gas.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo won't stay running.

I bought a salvaged 03 evo 8 that needed little to nothing and have replaced all the outside damage just it was sitting for a while. It starts up fine and idles fine but when i let off coming to a stop and push in the clutch it dies immediately unless I hold the gas and keep it running. I think it's just boost leaks. or since the gas sat, it might have gummed up the injectors but im not sure. also the bov flutters or compressor surges I think but it happens when I let off at low boost. I was just wondering if anyone couild help me if they have dealt with this too.

Last edited by Montrocity; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Boost/Leak test result?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you unplug the battery? If so, you need to let the car idle for 20 minutes and let the ECU and MAF learn the idle air ratio. DO NOT touch the gas pedal when doing so otherwise it will throw off the readings.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Boost/Leak test result?
Haven't done that yet
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by leemaster
Did you unplug the battery? If so, you need to let the car idle for 20 minutes and let the ECU and MAF learn the idle air ratio. DO NOT touch the gas pedal when doing so otherwise it will throw off the readings.
I did let it run, for an awfully long time hoping it just needed to run but it still just dies when I put it in gear and move it a bit. I will be getting a boost leak test done soon and getting a new bov cuz I don't want my turbo going. It's a greddy recirc that's on it right now but it flutters a ton.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does it still have a MAF? IF it does, does it have a cold air intake? The MAF's tend to hate aftermarket intakes, and can cause stalling, but that tends to happen when rpm's are higher and then you let of the accelerator.
I would try unplugging the MAF (if installed) and test it when you state it likes to stall. If it doesn't help, then if you can check fuel pressure, I'd go there next. It may be too low to sufficeintly fuel the engine when you request more. You said you've been in the boost, so fuel pressure doesn't seem likely, though. Vacuum and boost leaks are a definite possibility. If it stalls just off idle, then you're not in any boost state yet. More likely a vacuum leak if that is the case.
Good luck, man. Keep us informed.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:27 AM

Yes it has a MAF still and a cold air intake but the past owner was running them both fine with no problems. I will be getting a boost/vacuum leak test done shortly.