Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo upgrades.

HI guys,

I understand that there is a "Help me choose A best turbo" thread and has plenty of posts.

I personally feel i should open another one, not only for just choosing turbo but to put to focus more on what are these turbos, and what should they be used for…. side, rather than; "yep, i got an FP red, yep, works for me... its great.. yep "FTW"… yep you should get it too!"

I understand that FP green, red and black are very, very popular amongst the EVO community.

Im assuming it is due to it being a direct Bolt-ON, factory appearing turbo.

I am also contemplating on a larger turbo for an upgrade and have spoken to a few people with their opinions.

So far, a couple of people i know appear to frown upon the FP turbos.
Advising that i should focus on either; Garrett & Precision Turbos.

I have heard that the FP turbos are "OK" but "not great". Due to them being "Old school"…
Since, turbos neither have the newer technology of being; Twin scroll or Ball bearing? (which i guess are things to be considered)

Apparently I've been advised to be aware that it its also important on how the particular turbo works… whether it lags, then hits hard (which is what i heard the FP black does)… this then being an ideal set up for the drag strip.
but will suffer on a circuit track.

The problems so far that i can see with the above global brands is the amount of customisation / Fabrication that is required for compatibility.

Im not certain whether the Garrett or Precision have direct bolt ons to suit… but i believe i have seen "kits" that are made by such brands like ETS or Agency, that supply a set up for a Garrett turbo?

It would be great to see a more in depth talk about turbos in this post.

please share your thoughts.

regards,

Last edited by wowzers; Jul 13, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:22 AM

Im pretty sure you can get a ball bearing FP turbo, its just a little more money.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

FP sells ball bearing turbos for 2499$ if you want to ported or coated etc its a extra money
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FP recently stopped selling the Ball Bearing turbos. Look at it like this
1. Do you plan to buy an aftermarket manifold? If the answer to this question is yes, go with something else other than a FP stock frame turbo.
2. Do you plan on doing a simple bolt on? if yes, get an fp turbo. keep in mind that the fp turbos themselves are more money than something aftermarket like a good precision turbo
3. FP offers their new turbo with a stainles hotside which requires a different downpipe than the oem or aftermarket "stock frame" downpipe. If you want a simple bolt on turbo from FP, expect to spring an extra 300 bucks on the MHI hotside.

Cheers mate but this discussion on turbos has been around for a while. I am not sure exactly what type of analysis or assessment you're looking for so I think you will see alot of those "yep FP red love it" comments...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see that you are from down-under, i know there are alot of FP haters over there because the shipping cost and time is so much. FP is a great company but keep in mind that they stay great because they have well-trained staff so you're getting quality over quantitu with them. Expect delays so order turbos from them with plenty of downtime available.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shavkatjon2000
FP sells ball bearing turbos for 2499$ if you want to ported or coated etc its a extra money
that is indeed very dear.

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
FP recently stopped selling the Ball Bearing turbos. Look at it like this
1. Do you plan to buy an aftermarket manifold? If the answer to this question is yes, go with something else other than a FP stock frame turbo.
It depends, obviously i am weighing up options. But Ball bearing turbos have long been proven to be more efficient than Journal bearing. And I'm sure it should play a big part when selecting a turbo for anyone.

2. Do you plan on doing a simple bolt on? if yes, get an fp turbo. keep in mind that the fp turbos themselves are more money than something aftermarket like a good precision turbo
Yes i have noticed, The prices for the FP are a lot higher than turbos that are MUCH more superior.

3. FP offers their new turbo with a stainles hotside which requires a different downpipe than the oem or aftermarket "stock frame" downpipe. If you want a simple bolt on turbo from FP, expect to spring an extra 300 bucks on the MHI hotside.

Cheers mate but this discussion on turbos has been around for a while. I am not sure exactly what type of analysis or assessment you're looking for so I think you will see alot of those "yep FP red love it" comments...
Well, like i said about the pricing. It appears to be almost unjustifiable. Apart from the fact that it is almost a hassle free bolt-on.
(which I'm certain a lot of people would favour). But i have also seen Ballbearing + Twin Scrolls with a more reputable brand for less than what FP is asking. I think that it is important that people should know also.

And lastly, in my original post. About some turbos can have the tendency to lag and all of a sudden rocket. Which id imagine would be terrible on the circuit track.

Im not sure about "Hating" on FP turbos. But I can confirm that, "Down under".. it appears we seldom use EVOS for drags. They are much more popular on the circuit.
Where it appears to me in the states, they love to build big big power EVOS for the drag strip and the "Humble Pull", on the free way and streets.

(But then again, i could be wrong about you Yanks .)

Im definitely not here to argue, I think there is just more to it & a bigger picture than just "yep FTW, Love my red, Yep buy one too because i say so"

Last edited by wowzers; Jul 14, 2014 at 01:13 AM.