Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

new evo owner 2 problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new evo owner 2 problems

I am new to the forums and new to the Evo 8, i have bought an EVO 8 randomly, its the UK260 model but it is moded and pushing 360/368 on the Dyno.
I am completly new to Performance cars this is my first one froma diesel, people say there high maintencance other people say keep an eye on the water and the Oil.

I have had the car two weeks now, what should i do every week or every month etc... to keep the car intact... what shall i look out for... do i need to check for rusts... what shall i look for when i open the bonnet. Sorry for being a complete novice.. but i want to make sure i maintain it right...

I dont know what to look out for on a day to day basis...
How long to wait for the turbo to start the car and turn it off etc....
what does the boost gage mean....
Basically i want to keep the car mint... what does it mean by AYC pump etc... do i need to change the oil for that?
i just want to know everything about my car so i now what to do and what each part means etc....

When i am moving off in first gear uphill, the clutch is making a grinding noise then releases... basically you have to give more gas.... but normal start is fine but some gears grind when released.... but speed and torque is fine.

Thirdly when moving in slowly in low revs, the offside back wheel is making a slight ticking noise... at a constant sound but took the wheel off cannot see anything.

Please help out from the basic stuff to advance.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search the threads, there are bunch of posts what to maintain and look for as the beginner.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

With buying a used car, and likely no paperwork on prior maintenance, change out all the fluids. Oil, transmission, transfer case, and even brake fluid. Check the oil about every week or every other week. Weird sounds, feelings, smells, will get your attention and make you want to know if somethings wrong.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

I am completly new to Performance cars this is my first one froma diesel, people say there high maintencance other people say keep an eye on the water and the Oil.
I have had the car two weeks now, what should i do every week or every month etc... to keep the car intact... what shall i look out for... do i need to check for rusts... what shall i look for when i open the bonnet. Sorry for being a complete novice.. but i want to make sure i maintain it right…

It depends on how often you drive it, how you drive it or how old + what condition the car is…

My car is a weekend warrior, street driving, 50,000km & Literally no maintenance at all, this stage.

If you are going to track-it… track cars will be high maintenance.

With regards to rust, every car may be different. but i find rust tends to like accumulating in areas under the engine bay, near the crevices, wherever the manufacturers paint is lacking.

I dont know what to look out for on a day to day basis...

i don't think its practical or necessary to go through the whole car every day.

As much as it is good practice to check your car thoroughly but to some degree, you should have some faith in your car. Otherwise if your that

conscious and worried your car will break down every time you start it & drive it up the road…. then you shouldn't bother to drive your car at all.

How long to wait for the turbo to start the car and turn it off etc....

Warming up the car by extended idling & whether it is beneficial...has been a long subject of debate. Many experts believe that it is more beneficial driving off slowly once the idle is steady

to warm up, rather than idling and wasting fuel.

Idling + turning off / turbo timers are also another debatable subject… and experts claim that cooling down the turbo by driving slowly, a few hundred metres off-boost

before turning off the engine is more beneficial than stationary idling.

what does the boost gage mean….

The name says it all,
Its a meter/gauge that measures the manifold air pressure or manifold vacuum of the turbo based on the engine RPM.

Basically i want to keep the car mint... what does it mean by AYC pump etc... do i need to change the oil for that?
i just want to know everything about my car so i now what to do and what each part means etc....

I do believe there is an electric pump in the AYC system.

Yes, the fluid reservoir should be in the rear boot / Trunk. And your service book will tell you how often it is recommended to replace the fluid.

When i am moving off in first gear uphill, the clutch is making a grinding noise then releases... basically you have to give more gas.... but normal start is fine but some gears grind when released.... but speed and torque is fine.

Thirdly when moving in slowly in low revs, the offside back wheel is making a slight ticking noise... at a constant sound but took the wheel off cannot see anything.

im not certain what you mean there, but your better off recording it and uploading it here for peoples opinions… it could be anything.

Otherwise id take it to the workshop, because what is a "A noise"? … a noise can mean a lot of things in a vehicle.

Please help out from the basic stuff to advance.

if you are that, illiterate as you sound. I suggest you have a quick read through your Owners Manual… It will be a good place to start to know your car. As well as the Mitsubishi service book. It has all the intervals on there and what they normally check or change according to mileage.

Last edited by wowzers; Jul 19, 2014 at 06:47 AM.