Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

FP BLACK brothers chime in!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP BLACK brothers chime in!!

So after a year of ownership I'm finally at a place where I can play with my car and start doing things I've wanted to for a while. Car has 105k on it(05 evo). I want to run an FP black and I'm curious. How much have you guys spent to get your motors built to withstand the high boost and torque levels reliably? ANY and all input will be hugely appreciated guys.

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2014, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
In my opinion the Black is a great turbo for a un-built motor, which is what I have. I feel that because it's torque come on quite late and it doesn't shock load the motor as much as smaller turbo's do. With that in mind building your motor is always going to be the safer option. Tuning is critical if your aiming for bigger hp numbers as keeping the torque in check is going to be important (check sig for my tuner, who did great work on my FP Black tune). I should also say that avoiding FP BB turbo's is probably a good idea (as FP have removed their BB Turbo's from sale this should be easy), I had nothing but issues with mine, which leaked oil constantly, including on a test machine (thread coming on this). I finally bit the bullet and had it converted to a journal bearing, which will hopefully fix the oil leak.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are mechanical inclined get some arp rod bolt ans acl bearing.....it will hold up a little more
Old Aug 2, 2014, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

That's odd... I've Always heard with the black you NEED a built motor, especially considering they make no power on low boost. FP doesn't make BB turbos anymore? I've always been under impression BB>journal
Old Aug 2, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are mechanical inclined get some arp rod bolt ans acl bearing.....it will hold up a little more
Old Aug 2, 2014, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure that you ask your tuner to keep the TQ down, the blacks make alot of hp and not as much tq. For instance, a fp red would make more tq than a black, and a green would make more tq than a red. This is the reason I am switching from my HTA71 because it makes so much torque that i'm scared for my stock block so I bought a FP Red so it will hit more up top and later in the rpms for tq curve.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
make sure that you ask your tuner to keep the TQ down, the blacks make alot of hp and not as much tq. For instance, a fp red would make more tq than a black, and a green would make more tq than a red. This is the reason I am switching from my HTA71 because it makes so much torque that i'm scared for my stock block so I bought a FP Red so it will hit more up top and later in the rpms for tq curve.
That's exactly what I was looking to do. I wanted either a 6262 or a FP black and be able to have fun without necessarily building the block
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Stock block, only things changed internally was the cams, headstuds, and kiggly hla. Ran it above 500+whp for about two years zero problems.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...k-600-whp.html

Last edited by 420a-t; Aug 2, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
That's exactly what I was looking to do. I wanted either a 6262 or a FP black and be able to have fun without necessarily building the block
Either setup will work nicely just get a good tune and you'll be good to go. As you no going with the 6262 will need a ex manifold change, hey but then you can get a nice ex manifold/ ext wg setup.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 01:08 PM

FP black dbb. Had it for a year, no problems yet,

101k miles on engine. ARP head studs were put in at the same time as the turbo
Old Aug 2, 2014, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Seems these motors are even stronger than I assumed lol.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

BR2.3rpm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joshthree6three
BR2.3rpm
not interested to be honest. I want to stay with a 2.0 and have a high revving motor.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape
In my opinion the Black is a great turbo for a un-built motor, which is what I have. I feel that because it's torque come on quite late and it doesn't shock load the motor as much as smaller turbo's do. With that in mind building your motor is always going to be the safer option. Tuning is critical if your aiming for bigger hp numbers as keeping the torque in check is going to be important (check sig for my tuner, who did great work on my FP Black tune). I should also say that avoiding FP BB turbo's is probably a good idea (as FP have removed their BB Turbo's from sale this should be easy), I had nothing but issues with mine, which leaked oil constantly, including on a test machine (thread coming on this). I finally bit the bullet and had it converted to a journal bearing, which will hopefully fix the oil leak.

FP still makes the BB Black, just on hold for now until they figure out their parts issue. However I have a BB Black that has had 50-70 miles and leaked oil from the compressor housing and into my j pipe and j pipe gasket. This was on a stock pcv and 0 psi of boost. Currently being sent back in for inspection and a cleaning after running it for 3 min on my current motor. I think the oil issue is still presenting itself with -10 lines on a sealed catch can setup on both sides.

In all honesty, I'm starting to think I have a $2500 paperweight.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsm nexus
FP still makes the BB Black, just on hold for now until they figure out their parts issue. However I have a BB Black that has had 50-70 miles and leaked oil from the compressor housing and into my j pipe and j pipe gasket. This was on a stock pcv and 0 psi of boost. Currently being sent back in for inspection and a cleaning after running it for 3 min on my current motor. I think the oil issue is still presenting itself with -10 lines on a sealed catch can setup on both sides.

In all honesty, I'm starting to think I have a $2500 paperweight.
im unaware. Whats going on with FP and their turbos? ive always thought bb was more reliable.

Quick Reply: FP BLACK brothers chime in!!