Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do you consider this stock

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njboy
Turbo Back Exhaust and tune best bang for the buck. If nothing else I consider that "stock".
I have an 06 MR with SE package. Previous owner installed a TBE/intake and tuned it. Nothing else; nothing was "reverted back to stock".

Bought it with 52k miles last year and upgraded the fuel pump and front motor mount. That's all I've done. I intend to keep it that way since it's really hard to find stockish/lightly modified Evos.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wacboyjulian
I have an 06 MR with SE package. Previous owner installed a TBE/intake and tuned it. Nothing else; nothing was "reverted back to stock".

Bought it with 52k miles last year and upgraded the fuel pump and front motor mount. That's all I've done. I intend to keep it that way since it's really hard to find stockish/lightly modified Evos.
I dont see the point. Evos sell no matter what. So if your keeping one close to stock just for resale, I dont see that helping you as modified evos sell for great prices. If your doing it for safety, again, I dont see the point. Evos have very strong motors and if using quality parts with quality tunes and actually taking care of your vehicle, it will be fine.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
doesnt matter what you do it. as long as the car is CLEAN and mechanically sound, it will sell, its an evo! theyre hard to come by and the value has gone up. you will be fine.
I agree with this, besides i notice alot of the younger guys buying modded ones over close to stock ones in an attempt to save money. I bought a truely stock one owner evo 8 over the winter. Took me a while to find it, but I will begin modding soon. BUt yea it will sell either way as long as you take care of it and keep her clean.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trini Evo
I agree with this, besides i notice alot of the younger guys buying modded ones over close to stock ones in an attempt to save money. I bought a truely stock one owner evo 8 over the winter. Took me a while to find it, but I will begin modding soon. BUt yea it will sell either way as long as you take care of it and keep her clean.
As you said, people want to buy a modded one to save money and already start with a faster car. On the other hand, Evos are hard to come by(pre evo X) that people are less picky, atleast IMO.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 07:14 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
imo resale value shouldn't be one of the driving forces behind getting a car like an evo. Its going to be a money pit to own if you drive it at least marginally like it was intended to be. If your concern is your bottom line then you should look else where. Evos are meant to have fun with and you gotta pay to play.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
imo resale value shouldn't be one of the driving forces behind getting a car like an evo. Its going to be a money pit to own if you drive it at least marginally like it was intended to be. If your concern is your bottom line then you should look else where. Evos are meant to have fun with and you gotta pay to play.
Pay to Play. Truer words were never spoken.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

but its not stock...
Technically yes. But JUST a TBE is probably better for the engine since it "uncorks" the exhaust and allows more heat to move out of the engine and turbo helping reliability.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by njboy
Technically yes. But JUST a TBE is probably better for the engine since it "uncorks" the exhaust and allows more heat to move out of the engine and turbo helping reliability.
Really? hmmm, youve peaked my interest
Old Aug 6, 2014, 09:23 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
In many places exhaust systems are considered wear items because of the rate of corrosion. That being said a good argument could be made for installing a stainless steel exhaust without effecting the vehicles value.

I doubt a good argument based on empirical evidence could be presented here on an aftermarket exhaust improving 4g63t reliability compared to OEM.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
In many places exhaust systems are considered wear items because of the rate of corrosion. That being said a good argument could be made for installing a stainless steel exhaust without effecting the vehicles value.

I doubt a good argument based on empirical evidence could be presented here on an aftermarket exhaust improving 4g63t reliability compared to OEM.
You sir make more sense
Old Aug 6, 2014, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Btw heres the evo Im talking about in case anyone is curious. Deal is pretty much done other than they are suppose to fix the bumper and remove the other scratches for me. If it comes out good, it shall be mine

http://namepuns.com/evo.html

Last edited by pistons4550; Aug 6, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought mine to keep forever, but believe me, the resale value runs through my head every time I have to drop another thousand or more dollars on maintenance. Tires again?!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

I dont see the point. Evos sell no matter what. So if your keeping one close to stock just for resale, I dont see that helping you as modified evos sell for great prices. If your doing it for safety, again, I dont see the point. Evos have very strong motors and if using quality parts with quality tunes and actually taking care of your vehicle, it will be fine.
It's not primarily to keep the resale value high; I like the Evo stock and I don't want to keep spending money to improve it's performance (outside of daily maintenance). I may do it after I fully pay off the car note, but for now, I'm happy just to own an iconic car.

But I will agree it is VERY tempting to upgrade it and make it insanely fast.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wacboyjulian
It's not primarily to keep the resale value high; I like the Evo stock and I don't want to keep spending money to improve it's performance (outside of daily maintenance). I may do it after I fully pay off the car note, but for now, I'm happy just to own an iconic car.

But I will agree it is VERY tempting to upgrade it and make it insanely fast.
Also remember, you don't have to go all out. A little here and a little there goes a long way. It's pretty impossible with these cars haha. Good luck!

Edit- I literally just spent over 2k on my car in the last month on wheels/brakes. Like I said. It's too temping

Last edited by Viegasjuice; Aug 7, 2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:43 AM

Buy the car you feel is right, and enjoy it while you have it. If that means tuning it to scratch that itch, then cross that bridge when you get there.

I bought mine stock and enjoy it as is. After many years in a modified M3 I was ready to enjoy the benefits of the Evo's more compliant suspension and quieter exhaust. I have driven modified Evos and I am glad mine is stock. There will always be a buyer that is looking for an unmodified evo, just as there are people who look specifically for modded cars.

Quick Reply: Do you consider this stock