Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: do you have aturbo timer?
yes
53.56%
no
46.44%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a turbo timer?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hell yea brother u said it. damn girls. hahaha never happy
Old Mar 11, 2004, 02:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Nope. Modern turbo's combined with synthetic oil eliminate the need for a turbo timer with a little common sense on cool down.

Speedlimit...
Old Mar 11, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Um, I didn't see anybody mention the downside (for the Evo at least). That is, the fact that for the turbo timer to function you must disable the key code immobilizer. If you could somehow make it work with it, I'd be much more happy about installing a turbo timer.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

My alarm has a turbo timer feature. I don't use it all the time... only after aggressive driving.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah for those of us w/ wives and girlfriends or kids.. good peace of mind. I think the auto-calculation is way too long. No one needs to idle for 5 minutes. 30-60 secs is good enough.

Originally posted by juyanith
Um, I didn't see anybody mention the downside (for the Evo at least). That is, the fact that for the turbo timer to function you must disable the key code immobilizer. If you could somehow make it work with it, I'd be much more happy about installing a turbo timer.
Is this really true? I mean.. the immobilizer is still there, you still need a key. If you hook up the turbo timer correctly, as soon as someone releases the ebrake, the ignition shuts off. Then they'd have to use the key to start the car again. I SUPPOSE someone who's knowledgable could release the ebrake w/ 1 click left and drive the car for 10 seconds. But jeez, if set to 30 seconds, the car usually shuts off before it's out of my sight.

Also, here in flat IL, it's not a problem, but in mtn states, I could see not using a tt cuz you might want to leave it in gear.

Isnt this the 2nd poll in as many days?
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, I accidently put the first one in the newbie section. I figured alot of people have their preferences set to disregard the newbie forum and I needed some numbers. I'm pretty sure the immobilizer still works with a turbo timer.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who drives their car hard, then a second later has arrived at their destination? Around here traffic makes a turbo timer useless.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

TT's made sense on older style turbos that don't have the cooling features like our has. Our turbo is both water cooled and oil cooled. Between the two, they do a great job of cooling the unit.

People buy TT's for the bling factor more than for the safety factor.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jimmyv65

People buy TT's for the bling factor more than for the safety factor.
I just see it as extra insurance, and I find it pretty handy for the times when you don't have time to sit around and let it cool down after driving spirtiually. It doesn't hurt to have one.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

I have one, and agree with most posts. It's not that it is needed, but it's peace of mind. I do (from time to time) drive the car in a spirited manner directly before getting to a destination. Knowing that my habit is to just turn a vehicle off and get out, it helps to prevent me from just shutting the car down. So, as I stated, it's probably more for security than necessity, but I like it.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

yea why not. I guess sum people just can't afford a hundred bucks.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

turbo timers do increase the life of your turbo's. Its $100 and you can significantly increase the life of your turbos so i see no reason not to have one. Does anyone have proof that it does not increase the life of the turbo.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:17 PM

I have one. The HKS Type 1 has built in functions to calculate 0-60, 1/8mi, etc. They are recommended by 3 mechanics I spoke to. $120 with harness, why not?
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have the HKS Type 1 also and I don't really think that it is necessary but as other people have said, it is nice to have. Chickenbreast, that is one of the same reasons I got mine!! I hate when people who ride complained about having to let it cool down and they never understood and I didn't feel like explaining it to them. With the TT, that whole problem is completely eliminated.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have a HKS Type 1 TT