Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aem digital boost gauge reads positive psi at idle!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aem digital boost gauge reads positive psi at idle!

Bought a 2008 evo x mr last year and found out the car had an aem digital boost gauge and a wideband installed in it unfortunately the previous owner left the wiring and sensors for both gauges but took the gauges.

The wideband is shot as driving it for 20k plus miles without any power to it has destroyed it.

I am having problems with the digital boost gauge as of now. Either my friends gauge is busted or the sensor the gauge connects to is busted. At idle the car reads positive 6 or 7 pounds of boost and when I barely get on it quickly goes up to like 32psi which is 7psi higher than what my car is tuned at. I haven't checked how the gauge is wired but I was under the impression that the digital gauge wasn't as touchy with wiring as the analog gauge. The T fiting for the vacuum line comes off the line going into the wastegate..

Any help would be great thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you see any calibration botton on the back of the gauge?if you find one try to re set it.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you would probably be better off just buying new ones. You don't want to go cheap on monitoring devices as if they are inaccurate it could cost you a motor..
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digital gauges are very sensitive to wiring issues. You can refer to AEM tech forums for a wealth of info. I have had three AEM digital gauges for about six years, and have had absolutely no problems. I checked out AEM's forums prior to installing the gauges, and I found that a lot of problems were centered around customers who used a ground wire shared by some other device. AEM advises against this, even to the point of recommending that AEM gauges not be grounded together, and have separate ground wires going to separate locations. This seems to be even more important (according to AEM) with the AEM digital air/fuel gauge.

I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't explain why this is so. AEM does have electrical engineers, and I'll take their word for it. I have seen a fair number of posts here that argue that "a ground is is a ground." Maybe so. I won't argue the point. I have also seen a lot of posts over the years in which people have problems with an AEM digital air/fuel gauge which has been grounded in common with some other device.

I bought AEM gauges, and it seemed reasonable to follow their advice regarding the installation.

Last edited by lcwjr; Aug 10, 2014 at 08:42 PM.