Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SCCA Solo2: Which Class????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SCCA Solo2: Which Class????

I bought the SCCA Solo2 rulebook for 2004 yesterday, and started getting dizzy trying to figure out which class/subclass my car will be under. I am looking for some help from someone who may also be participating and already know a thing or two about the classing. You can see my particular mods in my tag line below.

What class/subclass should I register to compete under?

From my perspective it seems like I should be in street prepared E, however, it looks like I'm out due to the cat delete, the MBC and possibly the HKS BOV?? Then I thought "Prepared" class but don't see the EVO listed in appendix A. Am I stuck in Modified? If so which subcategory? To me it seems really unfair to stick a basically stock EVO in the modified category with gutted out full on racecars just because I have a MBC running basically stock boost levels!

Help me please,
Jason
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

You'd be ok with the cat delete. But the mbc automatically bumps you to SM. If you run STU you can have mbc..but you need street tires and a cat. If you are just going to do local autox's I doubt anyone would complain that you had an mbc if you ran ESP.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:19 PM

If you are just going to do local autox's I doubt anyone would complain that you had an mbc if you ran ESP.
Yep, that's what I was thinking, but you never know if I actually start being competitve. I would hate to win an event & then have someone call me a cheater.

Are you saying that I can be in Street Prepared class E (I assume that's what ESP stands for) with the cat-delete & HKS BOV as long as I get rid of the MBC?

I do plan to simply run on the Advans.

Thanks much for the help,
Jason
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

The bov would put you in STU or SM as well. I know several people who ran in ESP last year with mbc's and bov's. If you are racing for points and want to stay within the rules just ran the new STU class. It would be perfect for your Evo..considering it is a street tire class...the Advans are about the best tire you could run in that class.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by broeli
You'd be ok with the cat delete. But the mbc automatically bumps you to SM. If you run STU you can have mbc..but you need street tires and a cat. If you are just going to do local autox's I doubt anyone would complain that you had an mbc if you ran ESP.
A mbc is a no no for STU also.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

I personally know of Evo's with more mods than what you have running in the ESP catagory and I know of ones with no mods absolutely stok that were placed in the ESP catagory. I think it all depends on the regional group you run with.

I did my first autocross event ever last Sunday. My Evo is stock and they put me in ESP. Then I saw my buddy with his Buschur Racing Stage 2.5 show up and get put in my same class (ESP). Finally I saw another Evo apparently stock running in AS. I am just doing it for fun so I could care less what catagory they stick me in. I still get the same number of runs...

I am new to the autocrossing area but from what I have seen so far the cra classifications are vague at best.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:29 PM

Damn, I must be retarded as I don't even see the STU. That would be even less modded class than ESP right?

Seriously, what class would I have to be in according to the "rules" if I keep all my current mods?

Sounds like I might consider removing my MBC, or really hiding it well

So can I run "legit" in either ESP, or STU with the BOV & cat-delete but not the MBC? Which one is better for a car with my mods (assuming I remove the MBC).

Thanks again this is all really helpful!
Jason
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

If you are just starting out, I would suggest that you don't change a thing on your car... Run in Street Modified, where you are clearly legal.

Your biggest impediment to being competitive in Street Modified is going to be your tires. That being said, in my local region (and likely in yours as well), a bone stock Evo on the A046 tires could easily be a mid-pack car in Street Modified.

There is a big difference between Modified and Street Modified. In the Modified classes, you will find gutted production cars, single seat formula cars, Lotus 7s, and other beasts which have little in common with your Evo. Street Modified is reserved for "streetable" four-seaters with stock chassis and mostly intact interiors.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

STU is a brand new "supplemental" class (introduced after the 2004 rulebooks were printed) which is an alternate upgrade path than ESP -- more permissive in some areas, less permissive in others. STU is a street tire class, all tires must have Treadwear rating of at least 140, and for AWD cars, a maximum width of 245. ESP allows any DOT-legal tire which meets certain availability criteria. Also, STU requires a catalytic converter; ESP does not.

Neither ESP nor STU permit any changes to the forced induction system. No BOV, no MBC.

Street Modified allows unlimited changes to the engine, turbo, intake, exhaust, etc. As long as you use a Mitsubishi-branded engine block, it's all good.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:50 PM

I would suggest that you don't change a thing on your car... Run in Street Modified, where you are clearly legal.
Thanks for explaining the difference with ESP vs STU that really helps a bunch.

Sounds like the simple thing to do would be to run in Street Modified like you suggest, although it sounds like a may be at a slight handicap. Is there a particular subclass that I have to mention too or would I just be in "SM" (like E,F,X etc.)?

If I start out in one class and later decide I want to switch to another (like remove the MBC and go ESP) is that okay (I assume that any points would not carry through)?

Thanks again,
Jason
Old Mar 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

i believe there is a rule about points that states you have to compete in one class for a certain percentage of the races to qualify your points. I do not recall the percentage brekdown though.

i say forget about points and just enjoy driving your car... pick the class you should be in and don't worry about having the fastest time. Just enjoy driving your car and work to improve your own personal times.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Jason8

Sounds like the simple thing to do would be to run in Street Modified like you suggest, although it sounds like a may be at a slight handicap. Is there a particular subclass that I have to mention too or would I just be in "SM" (like E,F,X etc.)?
Your slight handicap in Street Modified will be your tires -- but you will have the same issue in ESP. If you don't want to be at a handicap on the A046 tires, go run STU -- which will require at least stripping out the BOV and MBC and installing a catalytic converter.

There are only two Street Modified classes: SM and SM2. SM2 is basically SM with a few changes -- two seaters are allowed, bigger engines are allowed, and lighter cars are allowed. SM2 is pretty much the fastest Solo2 class which still requires DOT legal tires -- don't go there unless you think you can run against 500 HP Vettes and RX-7s.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 03:29 PM

Cool, sounds like SM is what I should do!

I'm not intending to take this too seriously, I mean who knows if I will even like it? However, if for some weird reason I can be competitive and like it, I'd like my points to count.

I had the car out on the "real" track at Portland International Raceway for a track-day & ICSCC race conference novice racing license test. That was a truly awesome experience. The EVO is an awesome machine, and got some huge respect from all the veteran racers (both SCCA & ICSCC) after seeing it in action. I did qualify for the license. However, the only problem is to participate in true racing is so dang expensive that it would be stupid (financially irresponsible) of me to get involved right now. Not to mention, that conference does not have a class for AWD cars, although I cant imagine stripping my interior and putting in an 8-point cage anyway.

Thanks again, it sounds like I'll just try the SM Class.

Jason