Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motul vs Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
For the rear diff I would stick with OEM diaqueen. The rear diff seems to be more particular about what fluid goes in it vs other drivetrain components. I cant prove it, but I have a strong feeling my last low mileage diff was ruined by using the wrong fluid causing bearing damage. For the 5 speed tranny I have tried many different fluids. I ended up sticking with the redline cocktail because of how well it worked. I just recently put in Motul gear 300 in the trans. This stuff is awesome. smooth shifting even when cold, no more of that notchiness. It has been performing even better than the redline cocktail mix. This is what I plan to use exclusively now for the trans. For the transfercase, again I would stick with oem diaqueen.
i've been big on amsoil for FOREVER for drivetrain parts, but I recently ran out of it while I needed to flush the rear diff, and ended up using some diaqueen I had left. the rear diff bang-bang-bang has been hugely mitigated (cusco rear diff). need to take the time to swap diaqueen in for the t-case as well. engine oil, trans, everything else i'll stick with amsoil. t-case and rear diff, i've become a diaqueen believer.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
i've been big on amsoil for FOREVER for drivetrain parts, but I recently ran out of it while I needed to flush the rear diff, and ended up using some diaqueen I had left. the rear diff bang-bang-bang has been hugely mitigated (cusco rear diff). need to take the time to swap diaqueen in for the t-case as well. engine oil, trans, everything else i'll stick with amsoil. t-case and rear diff, i've become a diaqueen believer.

I recommend to try Motul Gear 300 for the transmission (assuming you have 5 speed). I promise you will not be disappointed. Now if you have a 6 speed nevermind.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
I recommend to try Motul Gear 300 for the transmission (assuming you have 5 speed). I promise you will not be disappointed. Now if you have a 6 speed nevermind.
yep 6 speed here
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using Motul Gear 300 in my 6 speed and it's brilliant.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
I'm using Motul Gear 300 in my 6 speed and it's brilliant.
in what way?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:56 AM

Good info
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
in what way?
OEM was notchy through all gears, grinds in 2nd and 3rd and extremely difficult to shift when cold.

After changing to Motul gear 300 (no cocktail mix), notchiness gone, grinds are much MUCH less frequent and severe and cold shifting is no longer a problem.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
OEM was notchy through all gears, grinds in 2nd and 3rd and extremely difficult to shift when cold.

After changing to Motul gear 300 (no cocktail mix), notchiness gone, grinds are much MUCH less frequent and severe and cold shifting is no longer a problem.
gotcha.. experiencing none of that myself at the moment with my trans..
Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've ran Amsoil throughout my drivetrain and never really had any problems. Even before I ripped open my rear diff for the 12 plate, I found that the rear locked up better when taking corners compared to the Diaqueen that was in there before.

After my Weir 12 plate, I used severe gear and it was like a 2-way LSD. Was a pain to drive. The problem was that severe gear doesn't really come with LSD additives (or if it does, lacks a lot of those additives). You have to get the Slip Lock additives, especially for clutch type LSDs like OEM and Cusco. I'm guessing Diaqueen has those additives already in it, which is why you won't have much problems.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
I've ran Amsoil throughout my drivetrain and never really had any problems. Even before I ripped open my rear diff for the 12 plate, I found that the rear locked up better when taking corners compared to the Diaqueen that was in there before.

After my Weir 12 plate, I used severe gear and it was like a 2-way LSD. Was a pain to drive. The problem was that severe gear doesn't really come with LSD additives (or if it does, lacks a lot of those additives). You have to get the Slip Lock additives, especially for clutch type LSDs like OEM and Cusco. I'm guessing Diaqueen has those additives already in it, which is why you won't have much problems.

Its noisier, but the evo is faster around turns that way. On a 60 second autox course it was worth a good .3 to .4 seconds consistently versus a gear oil with friction modifiers in it. For a daily driver though, friction modifiers make it nice.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by counterforce661
I don't like Amsoil because they are a pyramid scheme. But have tested their oil and good tests.
please explain the pyramid scheme part
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

i'm an amsoil "dealer" lol lots of different kinds of people out there
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts
Just get Rotella T6 5w40 for the engine. Available everywhere and the BITOG people love it.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Just get Rotella T6 5w40 for the engine. Available everywhere and the BITOG people love it.

Its about $21 for a 3.9L jug. So that means you need to buy 2 of them for an evo oil change. thats $42. Mobil 1 0w40 is $22 for a 5 quart jug. T6 is not that cheap. It may be worth $21, but its not worth $42 an oil change. At that price point you may as well get redline,amsoil,Motul,etc.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't use T6 in the Evo but the Suby and My DD I do. I get the 4qt jug and u can buy individual qts as well.

Ends up mid 30's for oil and filter

Quick Reply: Motul vs Amsoil