Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Motul vs Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motul vs Amsoil

I understand the topic of oil has been beaten to death. I've been using the search bar all weekend and haven't found the answer im looking for. I'm needing to swap all fluids as I'm just under 70k. I want to order all the fluids in a day or two. Does anyone have an opinion on the Motul Complete fluid change from TF-Works (http://www.tf-works.com/complete-flu...-300v-package/) vs an all Amsoil set up like this:

5 qts of Signature Series 10W30 ATMQT
3 qts of tranny fluid MTG
2 qts of the diff fluids SVGQT
1 gal jug of the coolant.
1 synthetic media oil filter EA15K20

^all from apagan01

I'm looking for solid answers one way of the other. My Evo 8 has always been treated with the best and I intend on continuing to do so.
All educated and constructive comments are welcome!
Thanks,
Jamieson
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great guy, Great oil what else can be said.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:57 PM

Is it better than Motul?

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Motul has huge budget and long history, with world-wide user base. Not only in automobiles but also in motorcycling.
Amsoil is boutique oil sold to racers and enthusiast in USA.

Amsoil is thought to be good, if not great, indeed.
Motul IS KNOWN to be top oil - period.

Safe choice is Motul, good choice is Amsoil.
I am switching totally to Motul, for that certainty.

But was using Amsoil, and likely will not find objective difference- since neither of us will inspect and measure engines run with different oils - used under same conditions- and compare.
So we'll never know the absolute truth.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

People are pretty hell bent and its highly recommended to use OEM Gear oil in the Tcase and Diff, unless otherwise recommended from the builder, if its even built. As for Motul Engine Oil, it is some of the best stuff, I would give it a try. For the AMSoil MTG Tranny fluid, I run it in my Hayes Racing Ultimate Ratio Transmission and it works fine.. but once again, it was recommended by the builder... if your tranny is stock I would stick with OEM or the Redline Cocktail... but that's just my opinion.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a fully built Evo 8 which I completed not too long ago.

My tcase and rear diff gets oem diaqueen only. It's a great fluid.

The trans was broken in with oem 75w-85 and I just tried motul 300v 75w-90.

When the car is cold it's terrible, once it warms up to temp
it feels like oem. I consider it a draw.

I have tried amsoil 75w-90 on my evo in the past and it sucked.

As for oil on my stock block I used amsoil 10w-40 high zinc with over 20k of oil analysis to prove it's great.

With my new built motor I used amsoil 20w-50 high zinc and for a motor with under 1k miles there was lower wear then I expected.

Next I am trying amsoil dominator 15w-50.

After I will try motul 15w-50 racing oil and after that I will try an Australian oil called Pentrite.

I road race my car so all of the fluids get a beating.

Bottom line is I'm a string believer in not one size fits all. I sell amsoil but only care about what's best for my car.

So far
Engine: Amsoil is perfect and provides great anti wear.
Transmission: if it's a daily oem for sure, if you race either motul or oem.
Diffs: Oem hands down.
Brake fluid: Project mu G4
Power steering: oem
Coolant: tap water and redline water wetter or amsoil coolant booster

Hope this helps
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Engine: AMSOIL Dominator 10w-30
Transmission: Redline Cocktail
Transfer Case: Diaqueen
Rear Diff: Diaqueen

My car gets driven on the street every once in a while and regularly at the track (NASA time attack and time trial) and these fluids have't let me down yet. I was considering switching to AMSOIL MTG transmission oil but I haven't had any bad experience with Redline so who knows. I too wouldn't mind trying out Penrite or Motul products in the future.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I'd like to correct myself:
Was speaking of engine oil only.

I use Diaqueen in diff and trans
And water wetter with water for coolant in track car

I tried Redline MT-90 in transmission:
Excellent!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Amsoil for my t-case, 6speed tranny and diff and it works great, i use it on all my vehicles, Amsoil is one of the best oils out there
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:56 PM

I understand that Amsoil is a really good product but since their website doesn't have a recommendation for the rear diff besides running oem I'm going to run:

Motul 10w-40
Amsoil trans
Motul transfercase and rear
Amsoil coolant

Since the Motul has excellent cleaning properties ill run it for a few changes and see if I want to try amsoil.
I'm going to be pulling fluid samples when I drain the car and send it to my local lab. $25-$30 per test. After two changes running motul in the engine ill do another test to see what the lab says. Depending how the other compnents feel I might do the same with them as well.
Overkill? Probably.

Thanks for the input!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by R88D_03BBY

Since the Motul has excellent cleaning properties ill run it for a few changes and see if I want to try amsoil.
I'm going to be pulling fluid samples when I drain the car and send it to my local lab. $25-$30 per test. After two changes running motul in the engine ill do another test to see what the lab says. Depending how the other compnents feel I might do the same with them as well.
Overkill? Probably.

Thanks for the input!
Umm, AMSOIL you will find has one of the best detergent and dispersant additives you will find in the market... AMSOIL product you were getting will be a Group 4 base stock,, this oil is a work horse,,, the Motul will also be a work horse though.

The issue I have with many of these other oils that you wont find much data on them, like four ball wear test, not a large sample of race cars using it to get a good engineering sampling,, and based on their TBN numbers it could mean they are using a lower Group 3 base stock... at the end of the day you may be getting less oil for more money which Motul sometimes can ship cost more than AMSOIL:

https://www.motul.com/system/product...pdf?1290086771
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
thanks shark
Old Aug 18, 2014, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the rear diff I would stick with OEM diaqueen. The rear diff seems to be more particular about what fluid goes in it vs other drivetrain components. I cant prove it, but I have a strong feeling my last low mileage diff was ruined by using the wrong fluid causing bearing damage. For the 5 speed tranny I have tried many different fluids. I ended up sticking with the redline cocktail because of how well it worked. I just recently put in Motul gear 300 in the trans. This stuff is awesome. smooth shifting even when cold, no more of that notchiness. It has been performing even better than the redline cocktail mix. This is what I plan to use exclusively now for the trans. For the transfercase, again I would stick with oem diaqueen.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would stick to OEM diaqueen for tcase and rear diff. Amsoil engine and tranny oil are both solid choices.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:34 PM

Anyone have any proof of TC and Diff blowing up because they didn't use Diaqueen? I find it weird that it's such a common knowledge but theres no sticky on this issue.(Not using Diaqueen)

Quick Reply: Motul vs Amsoil