Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

a/c Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a/c Help

So for the past 2 weeks my a/c has been acting funny.. When I start the car in the morning the A/C blows ice cold for about 20 min then it stops working and nothing but hot air. It seems like when the car gets warm the a/c goes away. Has anyone had similar problems with their car?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When it stops working look at your compressor.if AC clutch not spinning then it's time to rebuild it.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are several big threads on A/C problems. You'll find all sorts of good info about things that go wrong and how to fix them (including part numbers if necessary). I found my problems root cause and fixed them. Thanks EvoM!

I would check on the Mitsu A/C compressor clutch shim kit (about $20) before shelling out the big bucks for a new (or even used) replacement compressor. Good luck.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

There are multiple possible issues. Best way to check is to have an a/c machine and have the gauges hooked up. Since it works at first I will assume you have a sufficient amount of R134a. It is possible there is a restriction and the pressure is going too high causing the high pressure cut off switch to shut down the compressor. Restricted orifice tube or expansion valve. If you confirm pressures are ok and the compressor clutch is not engaging after 20 minutes then you need to check to make sure it is getting power and ground. If it has power and ground then you need a compressor.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 07:15 AM

check to see if your blend door is working correctly. if its not shutting out the heater core all the way once the car heats up the hot air could be overtaking the cold air from the evaporator.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be lots of issues. I have seen similar issues like this and it was due to the condenser being restricted. Check for any physical damages or dirt or debris on the fins and clean off as needed. Check to make sure the fans are coming on for the condenser and radiator. When it stops blowing cold go out and check the a/c low side line, it should be cold. You may also have an issue with a pressure switch. The best way to start off is by doing these physical checks, then get yourself some gauges to hook up to the a/c system to see what your pressures are doing. It sounds like you may have a restriction in the system somewhere.