Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car won't start, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Car won't start, please help!!

Hi all, its been ages (4-6 years) since i started my Evo 8, now its not starting..... Finally after trouble shooting it I got it to start here are some of the things that you might run into and what are the solutions to check if they work.

All fluids has been drained/changed Engine, Tranny, Transfer, Diff, and Gas.

1. Battery - No. If yes, solution to test: attached to a jumper cable to a car that is running. Not the starter, the car cranks.
2. ECU issue - No
3. Fuses - No. If yes, solution to test: check all fuses under the hood and under behind the the cabin.
4. Fuel Pump - YES. If yes, solution to test: when turn the car to start position you should hear a click from the fuel pump. Might need help opening the gas cap and have someone listen in.
5. Fuel pump relays - No. If yes, solution to test: pull out the relay in the cable 1 and 2, and also 3 on the firewall on passenger side test it using a multimeter. You should get 2-3 ohms, relay 3 on the firewall is different you have to test on different pins. Or turn the key to start position you should feel it click.
6. Fuel pressure - No. If yes, solution to test: attaching fuel pressure gauge to fuel line and crank to see if you have pressure.
7. Fuel line clogged - No. If yes, solution to test: unplug the hose on the fuel return line, attach a long hose to it, crank it and you should see fuel coming out of the end of the line.
8. Injectors - YES If yes, solution to test: 1. Test for resistance using a multimeter, you should get between 2-3 ohms. 2. Putting on a different set to see if they are clogged or put power to it see if you hear it working.
9. MFI Relays - No. If yes, solution to test: pull out the relay under the hood test it using a multimeter. You should get 2-3 ohms. Or turn the key to start position you should feel it click.
10. Spark - No. If yes, solution to test: put some Aerosol starter spray into the IC pipes, start the car or take out a spark plug wire put a spark plug in it put it near metal crank engine should see spark.
11. Timing, Crank, Cam Angle sensors - No. Timing: even if your timing is off by a lot your car should start, but with super bad idle. With Crank and Cam Angle sensors your engine will not start if it is broken, to test it use multimeter to test for ohms.

The problem for the car not starting for my situation was Fuel. Gas had eaten up the fuel pump and filter, I saw physical damages, had it replaced. Injectors was clogged, but after I tested for the resistance, did not test for flow. If I had tested for flow then car would of started a week ago....

Thanks to everyone for giving me different ideas to test, thanks to Charles for helping, and RRE insisting for me to test the injectors!

Last edited by han74j; Sep 23, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel. i am willing to bet it is the FPR. what are your mods?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly sounds like fpr or injectors not firing or clogged.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
sounds like it isn't getting enough fuel. i am willing to bet it is the FPR. what are your mods?
I have SARD FPR, and the gauge shows fuel pressure at 2.2 Bars
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EatSleepBoost
Certainly sounds like fpr or injectors not firing or clogged.
Gonna pull injectors, fuel rails today, we shall see if the injectors are working =(
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

I pulled 2 codes on the car, P0107 which is Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem. The barometric circuit that is attached to the OE intake pipe, its off on my car I have stand alone HKS F-con.... Will that prevent the car from starting?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by han74j
I pulled 2 codes on the car, P0107 which is Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem. The barometric circuit that is attached to the OE intake pipe, its off on my car I have stand alone HKS F-con.... Will that prevent the car from starting?
Yes, it may but i do suggest you look into your MAF if you are still running one. Update us on how your troubleshooting goes.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
HKS f-con is a finicky ECU. You may have to get with an authorized HKS dealer to get this sorted out.
Or just ditch it and reinstall the stock ECu and get with one of our vetted tuner on this forum.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, it may but i do suggest you look into your MAF if you are still running one. Update us on how your troubleshooting goes.
Do not have MAF, plugged it back in and car pull 0 codes it did NOT start.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
HKS f-con is a finicky ECU. You may have to get with an authorized HKS dealer to get this sorted out.
Or just ditch it and reinstall the stock ECu and get with one of our vetted tuner on this forum.
Maybe, I have to try to check out the injectors, and this weekend and see if they are all work. If all is working then I'm gonna just unplug the F-Con.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

what are your mods?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

what are your mods?
I have a HKS F-Con stand alone, w/ Evo 9 Turbo, on 91s, 330WHP/350TQ on Mustang Dyno

Last edited by han74j; Sep 12, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Update, 1 out of the 3 fuel pump relays isn't showing any resistance. Think I have found the problem, we shall see when I get my hand on one...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Update.

Pulled the injectors, the resistance is good. Injector plugs resistance is good.
Swapped to stock ecu, car still doesn't start.
Put a line on the fuel return line, when car is cranked lots of fuel in the line.

**** out of ideas....... Any other recommendations? Can't be timing cause even if it's off, car will still start.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 04:35 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Check crank and cam angle sensors.

Quick Reply: Car won't start, please help!!