Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Random Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Random Questions

Ive posted a couple of threads but I figure I should just put remaining questions I have in one thread so I dont clog up the boards so please bare with me as a new evo owner lol.

1. Didnt find much on this for a stock evo ix. Does it make much sense for me to get a custom tune instead of a generic flash since my car is 100% stock? Im guessing you should really only need a custom tune if you have mods because different cars could potentially react differently to those mods.

2. My car feels slower after Ive been driving for a couple of minutes. I know that happens to all cars after they run for a while because they get hot but should it really be that noticeable with evos? I live in florida and its pretty damn hot right now if that matters.

3. I can always see the air bend over my hood while I drive because the engine is hot. Is that normal because of the vents?

4. My radio has no backlight. Im wondering if its burnt out or if stock usdm ix radios dont have backlights.

5. Fifth gear can sometimes be difficult to get into (I have an MR). Is this common?

6. I am kinda disappointed with the brakes. I thought they would really be powerful. The Subaru dealer I got the car from changed the pads and resurfaced the rotors. They told me they got the pads from NAPA (might have said they were NAPA brand cant remember). Could it just be crappy pads? I have a fusion I use for work and I feel that car has better brakes.

Thanks in advance for any help :^)
Old Sep 20, 2014, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pistons4550
Ive posted a couple of threads but I figure I should just put remaining questions I have in one thread so I dont clog up the boards so please bare with me as a new evo owner lol.

1. Didnt find much on this for a stock evo ix. Does it make much sense for me to get a custom tune instead of a generic flash since my car is 100% stock? Im guessing you should really only need a custom tune if you have mods because different cars could potentially react differently to those mods.

2. My car feels slower after Ive been driving for a couple of minutes. I know that happens to all cars after they run for a while because they get hot but should it really be that noticeable with evos? I live in florida and its pretty damn hot right now if that matters.

3. I can always see the air bend over my hood while I drive because the engine is hot. Is that normal because of the vents?

4. My radio has no backlight. Im wondering if its burnt out or if stock usdm ix radios dont have backlights.

5. Fifth gear can sometimes be difficult to get into (I have an MR). Is this common?

6. I am kinda disappointed with the brakes. I thought they would really be powerful. The Subaru dealer I got the car from changed the pads and resurfaced the rotors. They told me they got the pads from NAPA (might have said they were NAPA brand cant remember). Could it just be crappy pads? I have a fusion I use for work and I feel that car has better brakes.

Thanks in advance for any help :^)

1. Get yourself a tune after you get mods on the car. If its 100% stock then no tune needed. Keep up on regular maintenance tuneup stuff and you will be fine if your stock.

2. If its particularly hot, the ecu may be pulling timing to keep things safe.

3. normal

4. my radio has no backlight either, as far as I know its normal.

5. I dont own an MR, sorry not familiar.

6. It could be a combination of the brake pad compounds and brake fluid condition. Also Im sure they didnt bed them in, try re bedding the pads in and see if that changes before you start replacing parts.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/2. What he said^

3. Completely normal, the only way you won't see this heat emanating from your exhaust mani is if you get it wrapped or ceramic coated.

4. Believe that's normal for the stock radio.

5. Define difficult? Is it notchy? Does it scratch when you try to put it in 5th while at higher rpms only? Try revving to 4k and then putting it into 5th as the rpms drop; don't force it just hold it there until it lets you in, if that worked then it's most likely a synchro

6. May be the bed in, if they ARE new the dealer likely didn't bed them for you, however NAPA pads aren't that great anyhow, you can get a full front/back package of EBC Redstuff brakepads off of LancerShop.com for like 250$, will take you about an hour tops to put them on and it will most likely feel significantly better (after bed in) would also recommend doing rotors when you do pads. Most of the products that you find at NAPA/Autozone/Advanced are more or less geared towards economy styled vehicles, they aren't bad quality it's just they're usually not performance oriented, even the "sport" types, they usually consider a civic SI to be "sport".
Old Sep 21, 2014, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LightningCrossZ
1/2. What he said^

3. Completely normal, the only way you won't see this heat emanating from your exhaust mani is if you get it wrapped or ceramic coated.

4. Believe that's normal for the stock radio.

5. Define difficult? Is it notchy? Does it scratch when you try to put it in 5th while at higher rpms only? Try revving to 4k and then putting it into 5th as the rpms drop; don't force it just hold it there until it lets you in, if that worked then it's most likely a synchro

6. May be the bed in, if they ARE new the dealer likely didn't bed them for you, however NAPA pads aren't that great anyhow, you can get a full front/back package of EBC Redstuff brakepads off of LancerShop.com for like 250$, will take you about an hour tops to put them on and it will most likely feel significantly better (after bed in) would also recommend doing rotors when you do pads. Most of the products that you find at NAPA/Autozone/Advanced are more or less geared towards economy styled vehicles, they aren't bad quality it's just they're usually not performance oriented, even the "sport" types, they usually consider a civic SI to be "sport".
I would say notchy rather than anything else. Ill try out what you said on my way to work tomorrow. Glad to know that the brakes could improve from what you and tommi said. As far you guys not suggesting a tune, I know theres more to be gained from mods but plenty also from a tune on a stock car. That wasnt really my concern, it was whether a flash or custom tune would make much of a difference at that stage. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say notchy rather than anything else. Ill try out what you said on my way to work tomorrow. Glad to know that the brakes could improve from what you and tommi said. As far you guys not suggesting a tune, I know theres more to be gained from mods but plenty also from a tune on a stock car. That wasnt really my concern, it was whether a flash or custom tune would make much of a difference at that stage. Thanks for the responses guys.
I'd keep the tune stock for awhile and get used to the car as it sits. No point spending money on a tune or flash, then getting a few parts and having to get retuned. Save up, get an exhaust and a few other goodies then find a "reputable tuner" to maximize your mods. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CDHoff
I'd keep the tune stock for awhile and get used to the car as it sits. No point spending money on a tune or flash, then getting a few parts and having to get retuned. Save up, get an exhaust and a few other goodies then find a "reputable tuner" to maximize your mods. Just my opinion.
I would agree with you but Im planning on keeping it stock which still leads me back to whether get a custom tune or generic one.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LightningCrossZ
I still see the heat emanating even with my coated manifold
Old Sep 25, 2014, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Raptord
I still see the heat emanating even with my coated manifold
lol, i've always thought it was funny when i'd give someone a ride and they'd freak out over the heat waves off of mani
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
The way your brakes feel during daily driving is mostly a function of how much pedal boost you are getting from your power brakes.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrowka
The way your brakes feel during daily driving is mostly a function of how much pedal boost you are getting from your power brakes.
Are you saying the brakes arent gonna feel as strong if Im driving it passively?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Are you saying the brakes arent gonna feel as strong if Im driving it passively?
Yes. Having overly sensitive brakes is doesnt = great braking system. Go drive a brand new prius, or any commuter vehicle for that matter, they are gonna have very sensitive brakes, but that doesnt make them good performance brakes, do they? depending on how you add pressure, the evos brakes respond accordingly to give you preciseness. My mom has a bmw 335i, whiles its a very nice car, its pretty hard to modulate the brakes, they are pretty much ON-OFF, that would be pretty ****ing bad in a track situation, would it not? Get some good brake fluid, good pads, bleed properly and bed properly, your evo is a very good braking/handling vehicle. theres a reason people like to buy used evo brembos and swap them in, even STI guys who already have brembos from the factory.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Yes. Having overly sensitive brakes is doesnt = great braking system. Go drive a brand new prius, or any commuter vehicle for that matter, they are gonna have very sensitive brakes, but that doesnt make them good performance brakes, do they? depending on how you add pressure, the evos brakes respond accordingly to give you preciseness. My mom has a bmw 335i, whiles its a very nice car, its pretty hard to modulate the brakes, they are pretty much ON-OFF, that would be pretty ****ing bad in a track situation, would it not? Get some good brake fluid, good pads, bleed properly and bed properly, your evo is a very good braking/handling vehicle. theres a reason people like to buy used evo brembos and swap them in, even STI guys who already have brembos from the factory.
But Im not talking about only when driving passively. I am aware that sensitivity does not mean the brakes perform better. I have done hard stops on both to compare them and it seemed like the fusion brakes were the same or better. Although it could be that since I didnt do them back to back, that my recollection may have not been entirely accurate. Im not complaining about the precision of the brakes but disappointed with overall stopping power but maybe thats not the cars fault due to the crappy pads they gave me and whether they did a good job installing them.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

But Im not talking about only when driving passively. I am aware that sensitivity does not mean the brakes perform better. I have done hard stops on both to compare them and it seemed like the fusion brakes were the same or better. Although it could be that since I didnt do them back to back, that my recollection may have not been entirely accurate. Im not complaining about the precision of the brakes but disappointed with overall stopping power but maybe thats not the cars fault due to the crappy pads they gave me and whether they did a good job installing them.
Yeah brother. look up on youtube how to change the brake pads on the evo, its VERY simple. Also something to consider, your dust boots and seals may be worn. I would say remove your calipers and give them a look, may be time for a rebuild which is not too expenssive. Im currently getting my calipers powdercoated and rebuilt. Will install them with braided brake lines and good brake fluid. Should feel like brand new.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I would agree with you but Im planning on keeping it stock which still leads me back to whether get a custom tune or generic one.
Even if you're planning on staying stock, there is still a good amount of power that a flash can bring out. Perhaps not as huge of a jump as a tune would do when you have a bunch of other mods, but it's good bang for your buck.

I think you'd be okay with a generic tune, since there are fewer variances than there are when dealing with a modded car, but if it's not too difficult for you to get a custom tune in terms of price and convenience (meaning the tuner isn't too far away), then you could just go for a custom tune and really maximize your gains and/or make some custom requests for the tuner to keep in mind when working on your car.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Brake fluid condition/type, tires, type of brake pads, and condition of rotors, can all play a part of your braking performance. My rotors are starting to glaze up and I can tell the braking is starting to feel really weak/mushy.

If your rotors dont show any signs of excessive glazing, then I would think it would be due to the brake pads. Some brake pad compounds have a really mushy feel to them due to the compound to make them quieter. Like I said earlier though, you may be able to at least try and re bed them in and see if that improves.