Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 winter driving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 winter driving

I'm thinking of driving my 2003 evo this winter, what are some things I should think about doing? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Do I need to worry about covering the hood vent and or intercooler?

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJRVIII
I'm thinking of driving my 2003 evo this winter, what are some things I should think about doing? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Do I need to worry about covering the hood vent and or intercooler?

Thanks
There's nothing different you should do. Make sure to constantly clean off the underbody, matter of fact entire car, during snow season constantly.

Edit- AWD does you no good in snow without proper tires.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
There's nothing different you should do. Make sure to constantly clean off the underbody, matter of fact entire car, during snow season constantly.

Edit- AWD does you no good in snow without proper tires.

Thank you, appreciate it. Ill be buying studded tires
Old Oct 3, 2014, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

I would look to get some sort of cover or bra for the front bumper, personally, in case you hit little mounds of snow and/or ice as you're driving. The front bumper of your car will take the most abuse.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

With snow tires these cars can't be stopped in the snow. Its amazing actually. I have deep snow tires on stock wheels that I use and I can go wherever I want. Yes your front bumper will get beat up a little bit. Front lip and front grills mainly. The car loves the cold air though, great power. Lastly if you stay out of boost you will not lose control, it will drive very safe and efficient. As SOON as you hit 2psi or more it will get loose however it will still pull forward even when you are sliding. A good combo of safe when you need it but fun when you want it.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

I take my bumper off for snow duty! But I'm going to coat the underside of my car. NJ salt and snow aren't friendly to vehicles.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah I drove my car every day, year 'round from 2006 until a few weeks ago and would always spray under the car every few weeks in the winter. Despite that, I'm seeing worrisome amounts of rust on the underside, towards the back of the car on either side of the fuel tank.

Another tip: make sure to spray off the wheels and brakes if you get snow packed into the wheels. One year, I forgot to do this after doing a bunch of donuts. The next day I couldn't drive my car, because the snow inside the wheels had melted from the heat of the brakes then turned to ice once everything cooled down.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mkcolgan
I take my bumper off for snow duty! But I'm going to coat the underside of my car. NJ salt and snow aren't friendly to vehicles.
What are you coating the underbody with? I have some rust forming that I'd like to take care of.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kreeker
What are you coating the underbody with? I have some rust forming that I'd like to take care of.
Same question. I bought my Evo for DD last winter, but didn't get any snow yet. Only residual salt still on roads. Live in NJ as well if you go to any shop to get it done.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Powered mine through a Missouri winter four years ago, put some quality snow tires on the car and never looked back.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 09:35 AM

Pretty much like everyone said. Good set of snow tires and some common sense driving skills, and you can go pretty much anywhere.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same here, i put a nice new set of blizzaks on my oem 8 enkeis and the car is unstoppable in the snow!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dr_latino999
Powered mine through a Missouri winter four years ago, put some quality snow tires on the car and never looked back.
Essayons
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Army

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NSDQ
Essayons
I'll be heading back for Winter of 15', I'm looking forward to some hill climbs in the back woods.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

For fun

If you REALLY want to have some fun, drive with bald summer tires like I did for a couple days in the winter.

I've never felt my butthole clench so hard while braking in snow.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 winter driving