Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What to do what to do

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do what to do

So I'm second guessing myself. I've put together a fully built '05 with with a pt6266. The drivetrain is stock. Apart from the acd pump and struts, the car is in good condition. I just can't help but feel like this turbo is too much power and too unreliable. From what I understand unless you have deep pockets, this isn't your setup.

I've been scavenging to making it this far and I don't want to have a car with an unusable power band which breaks every time I floor it. Is this a reasonable concern?

I'm debating on switching out the 6266 for a 3071r using the same manifold. This would be more cost efficient then getting say a stock em, o2, and fp green. Anyone else have any good suggestions for a undivided t3 mani?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

If you can live with the lag I would just keep this turbo and do a very conservative tune on low boost. 20psi or so on that turbo should be enough to make some good power still but it will just all be up top. You loose out on a ton of low end compared to a green for example. I would save yourself the time and money of changing it out and keep it conservative until you free up you pockets a bit then you have plenty of room to have more power when you want it. A simple retune with higher boost, assuming you have all the supporting mods. Built motor? 2.0?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:44 AM

When I had my original evo, the best part about the car was the power band. A nice low to mid torque curve. Of course this kind of setup loses up top, it's just a lot more fun to drive imo. You're right though. I'll just use this setup and figure out the right way to go down the line
Old Oct 17, 2014, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would keep the 6266 and if something breaks you fix it.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am the furthest from an expert on cars or Evos, but first you gotta ask: what do you want from your car?