Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying built evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flsc300
I recently built my Evo from top to bottom. All work done by a reputable shop and drive train done by Shep racing all to support 1000awhp so only the best parts were used. All in all about 50k not including the price of the car. My car took over 2 years to complete from start to finish and in that time I have lost interest and driving around in my Lexus ls460 then going to the harsh Evo and being stuck in traffic alone makes me not want to drive it even less ,with the hard clutch and rough ride. So I can't speak for everyone selling their car but my car is in tip top working condition and will drive it every day but chose not to, but I have tried selling it for half of what it's worth and never got any real interest. But on the flip side no matter how good of a shop a highly modified Evo(or any other car) will eventually have problems. Haven't came across a modded car that hasn't had their bugs. And every shop will do things differently and what they think is best doesn't mean it's wrong(in most cases) just not their preference. So maybe these guys are just blowing smoke to sell their car but some may have lost interest like I did. And for these guys that have bought some of these highly modded Evos and had problems it's usually not a builders error just the territory that comes with owning a race car, and if they guys don't understand that then they should not own one lol.
I could go on and on about what happened with my car and the things I found out after I had problems.
My problems started 36 miles after the car was delivered I experienced PTV contact. This was on a Buschur 2.3 with Buschur stage 3 head and Kelford 272s that all had under 2k miles, or that was what I was led to believe.......
This all happened at under 7500rpms.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelrc51
I could go on and on about what happened with my car and the things I found out after I had problems.
My problems started 36 miles after the car was delivered I experienced PTV contact. This was on a Buschur 2.3 with Buschur stage 3 head and Kelford 272s that all had under 2k miles, or that was what I was led to believe.......
This all happened at under 7500rpms.
S**t happens. Trust me I have had my share of that "this car is perfect blah blah blah." Did you have someone look over the car before you bought it along with all the receipts ? I have every single receipt for my car to have a little legitimacy to any potential buyer and also they can speak to the shop directly. That's why I did what the previous post said, I bought one with low miles one owner and did my own build and the shop takes responsibility for anything that isn't just pure neglect and abuse on the car. Another benefit of have a great shop they stand behind their work. And you don't inherit other ppl problem. Even if I sell my car the shop will still stand behind their work and still offer assistance to the new owner. Great people.

Last edited by Flsc300; Oct 29, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

S**t happens. Trust me I have had my share of that "this car is perfect blah blah blah." Did you have someone look over the car before you bought it along with all the receipts ? I have every single receipt for my car to have a little legitimacy to any potential buyer and also they can speak to the shop directly. That's why I did what the previous post said, I bought one with low miles one owner and did my own build and the shop takes responsibility for anything that isn't just pure neglect and abuse on the car. Another benefit of have a great shop they stand behind their work. And you don't inherit other ppl problem. Even if I sell my car the shop will still stand behind their work and still offer assistance to the new owner. Great people.
That looks to be the best bet if gonna buy one that's already had a build done is by checking reciepts as to how ligitimate there claims seem to be. Would be great to find one a shop would back up/ warranty but I know that's not very likely.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, had someone look over the car and have ALL receipts from previous owner.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slvrevo84
oh ya and the other thing I keep seeing on the built ones for sale is "JUST NEEDS A TUNE" like why would you build it and not just finish by getting the tune done yourself just seems like something's being hidden.
It could be that, or there just may not be a competent tuner that they have access to. I would imaging that having just spent several thousand dollars on something that can't be enjoyed would be very frustrating. There's a reason people love their stock block with bolt on's. It's driveable.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:52 PM

When it comes to buying a car, especially these cars, it can be a nightmare. I love my Evo but I've been thru hell and back with it. I had to rebuild the motor bc the previous owner/builder took shortcuts. Between the down time, money, and all the hassle, I had a bad experience.

Im still not tuned due to other bills taking priority but I've kept all receipts and shops so the next owner can feel comfortable buying it. I think you see a lot of built Evos being sold bc the budget is always over and they are tired of the money pit.

On that note, Ill be replacing my starter tomorrow lol. Should have kept my brand new 11' Wrangler looking back. Good luck. My Evo still needs some work but will be in great shape when Im done and is adult owned.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i bought a built 2006 about a year ago.
didnt even drive it... went off of pictures, emails, phone calls with the owner... and post i read about the car on here.

owner was straight with me and i didnt find any huge surprises.

I did spend some money on the car because there were a few things not finished and a few things i found that i wanted to get fixed.

In short.. I trusted that he was telling me the truth.

When i got the car, it was making about 380 on 93 octane.

a year later, converted to E85, car making about 660 and runs great....

Will i be tired of it and sale it in another year???
I dont know...... maybe..
Or maybe ill just keep it!

Haha
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by W0LF
I'm certainly not here to lecture or insult the OP, just going to add my thoughts on the situation. It's no secret, majority of the car community will throw a quick build together in order to sell their project to help make up for their losses. A lot of times shortcuts are taken and temp solutions are applied. When you find a truly exception top notch build, expect to pay the premium.

My opinion on the matter is to do what I did, find the lowest mileage Evo in your price range that is as close to stock as possible. My Evo was a 1 owner Carfax certified low mileage Evo that was 100% bone stock when purchased. The manifold bolts even show zero signs of tampering. I now own a clean slate that is ready to be "tastefully" modded to my preference. I enjoy the added luxury of knowing I will be able to have a solid build without no shortcuts taken that could compromise reliability. Would you like to be able to make the same statement or take a risk?

"For Every Choice, There's A Consequence; For Every Consequence, There's Another Choice."
^^^This!

A "built" Evo is a broken Evo.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
^^^This!

A "built" Evo is a broken Evo.
True in my case. Previous guy blew the 2.0 and so he rebuilt it and stroked it 2.4. But he didn't fix everything which is why my original 3 week or so project at Fathouse has turned into almost 2 months and triple the original expected cost of parts and labor.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Similar experience to you. Only thing was owner thought he had a built 2.3 but it was a built 2.0, which for longevity sake turns out to be the better bet.
Originally Posted by hutch959
i bought a built 2006 about a year ago.
didnt even drive it... went off of pictures, emails, phone calls with the owner... and post i read about the car on here.

owner was straight with me and i didnt find any huge surprises.

I did spend some money on the car because there were a few things not finished and a few things i found that i wanted to get fixed.

In short.. I trusted that he was telling me the truth.

When i got the car, it was making about 380 on 93 octane.

a year later, converted to E85, car making about 660 and runs great....

Will i be tired of it and sale it in another year???
I dont know...... maybe..
Or maybe ill just keep it!

Haha
Old Nov 1, 2014, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

End of the day, when you purchase a sports car, you know it will be costing you. Its all fun, whether you drive it every day or not fix it all the time or not. Enjoy the most of it in this life.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 09:59 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by slvrevo84
At what power point in power did problems start?
I was at 542whp
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

I've been DDing for a year now at 547 and the only thing that failed was the external fuel pump on the surge tank which isn't needed for DD duty. 600dj is doable now on a gt30 so i'm going to shoot for a tad more than that and keep it that way. When u start getting into the 800whp range and having to go alum rod etc is where i draw the line.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:52 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
I've been DDing for a year now at 547 and the only thing that failed was the external fuel pump on the surge tank which isn't needed for DD duty. 600dj is doable now on a gt30 so i'm going to shoot for a tad more than that and keep it that way. When u start getting into the 800whp range and having to go alum rod etc is where i draw the line.
How often to you see the 547whp with a spool thief GT30? Better, how often are you at revs high enough to make a difference? I'm guessing almost never, given the qualifiers above.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Every chance I get on the street, at least once a day. However if your talking about reliable TRACK cars then thats another matter as i need BIIIG brakes.

Quick Reply: Buying built evo