Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying built evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying built evo

Why is it that all the evos I see for sale that say there built all usually seem to say about the same thing that its a fresh build with only 1500- 3000 miles on build? Is this just cause there trying to make it sound better or after they build them the decide they don't like it? I mean if I spent that money building id surly wanna drive it for a while.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically built evo's aren't going to last you long, so they only drive them on the track/drag strip. You won't get much mileage from doing those things. And also depends on how much HP the builds have. You're typically not going to want to daily drive a 700hp+ evo. The safe zone for the evo where it stays somewhat reliable is 500-600HP, those you can daily and you will get more miles from that obviously. Plus if it was me building the car that is 700hp+, I'd probably enjoy it for a little then move on to do a similar build but building it a different way.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly I think they are trying to make them sound better. My engine was built in 2013 by previous owner and I've had a ton of issues so far. He put well over 15k into this car and I've spent another 6-7k cleaning up his mess and it still needs new brakes and probably new clutch. The engine internals themselves have been fine, it's been other areas.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NSDQ
Honestly I think they are trying to make them sound better. My engine was built in 2013 by previous owner and I've had a ton of issues so far. He put well over 15k into this car and I've spent another 6-7k cleaning up his mess and it still needs new brakes and probably new clutch. The engine internals themselves have been fine, it's been other areas.
I don't know how you can blame brakes and clutch on anyone, they are a wear item.

To the OP- it does seem that everyone says this so if you are considering one I would do some research.
I bought one such Evo and I have been putting money into it since day 1. This current rebuild I am paying a reputable shop to do and I am doing as much as can be done to ensure this car will last. This latest build is costing around what I paid for the car, which was SUPPOSED to be built right.
Look the car over, some people throw money at the car and think they do nice work and other people actually do nice work and know what they are doing.
I believe a good build maintained well will last. But the way it is tuned, driven, and maintained will be the deciding factors.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL @ blaming engine builder for wear items.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
I don't know how you can blame brakes and clutch on anyone, they are a wear item.

To the OP- it does seem that everyone says this so if you are considering one I would do some research.
I bought one such Evo and I have been putting money into it since day 1. This current rebuild I am paying a reputable shop to do and I am doing as much as can be done to ensure this car will last. This latest build is costing around what I paid for the car, which was SUPPOSED to be built right.
Look the car over, some people throw money at the car and think they do nice work and other people actually do nice work and know what they are doing.
I believe a good build maintained well will last. But the way it is tuned, driven, and maintained will be the deciding factors.
I'm not blaming the previous owner for wear items, just simply stating that even after I finish cleaning up his mistakes I'm still on the hook for some new brakes and at some point a new clutch. Sorry but not sorry for venting my frustration. That all said, the guy is one of my buddies now as he lives local, but one thing about him is that if you only talked to him, he would have you believe he built a beast of a car. He'd be the guy who would put up it up for sale on the forum and tout it as freshly built and likely lead you to believe it's good to go. Probably would say a few things need freshening up. It's a sales tactic, nothing more when guys highlight their "freshly built engine".
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
LOL @ blaming engine builder for wear items.
I didn't blame the engine builder. The guy who had it before me wasn't the builder, just the abuser of built engine. And I'm not blaming him either for the wear items. I was pointing out that instead of being able to take care of some wear items (brakes/clutch) I've had to spend some money to make the car drivable again and not blow up and actually be somewhat reliable.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:25 PM

Evo owner

I recently built my Evo from top to bottom. All work done by a reputable shop and drive train done by Shep racing all to support 1000awhp so only the best parts were used. All in all about 50k not including the price of the car. My car took over 2 years to complete from start to finish and in that time I have lost interest and driving around in my Lexus ls460 then going to the harsh Evo and being stuck in traffic alone makes me not want to drive it even less ,with the hard clutch and rough ride. So I can't speak for everyone selling their car but my car is in tip top working condition and will drive it every day but chose not to, but I have tried selling it for half of what it's worth and never got any real interest. But on the flip side no matter how good of a shop a highly modified Evo(or any other car) will eventually have problems. Haven't came across a modded car that hasn't had their bugs. And every shop will do things differently and what they think is best doesn't mean it's wrong(in most cases) just not their preference. So maybe these guys are just blowing smoke to sell their car but some may have lost interest like I did. And for these guys that have bought some of these highly modded Evos and had problems it's usually not a builders error just the territory that comes with owning a race car, and if they guys don't understand that then they should not own one lol.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 07:47 PM

Very well put by flsc300. These cars take time to be built right and within that time people change interest. Let's face it, selling a car unfinished is harder then selling a car for half of what you've got into it.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Yes im looking to buy another evo that id like to build but thought about just buying one that's already been built as I see a lot of them out there and would save me a lot of time and money but before I dove into it just thought id try to figure out why so many "freshly" built evos are out there. just wasn't sure if they just don't work well anymore for a dd or just to problematic or if like others said they just lose interest. Id like to get one or build on with about 500whp goal and think id be happy. I recently sold mine but it only had a few bolt ons and a tune and 300whp but it was still fun to drive and VERY reliable never had any issues over 3 years of owning. So just not sure what best route would be at this point.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

oh ya and the other thing I keep seeing on the built ones for sale is "JUST NEEDS A TUNE" like why would you build it and not just finish by getting the tune done yourself just seems like something's being hidden.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by slvrevo84
Why is it that all the evos I see for sale that say there built all usually seem to say about the same thing that its a fresh build with only 1500- 3000 miles on build? Is this just cause there trying to make it sound better or after they build them the decide they don't like it? I mean if I spent that money building id surly wanna drive it for a while.
In my case when I built my 8 I drive her less and less.
Reason you ask? Once you reach a certain point in power your ****ED! Lol problems start and some people don't like the hassle.
GL
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:34 AM

My personal opinion

I'm certainly not here to lecture or insult the OP, just going to add my thoughts on the situation. It's no secret, majority of the car community will throw a quick build together in order to sell their project to help make up for their losses. A lot of times shortcuts are taken and temp solutions are applied. When you find a truly exception top notch build, expect to pay the premium.

My opinion on the matter is to do what I did, find the lowest mileage Evo in your price range that is as close to stock as possible. My Evo was a 1 owner Carfax certified low mileage Evo that was 100% bone stock when purchased. The manifold bolts even show zero signs of tampering. I now own a clean slate that is ready to be "tastefully" modded to my preference. I enjoy the added luxury of knowing I will be able to have a solid build without no shortcuts taken that could compromise reliability. Would you like to be able to make the same statement or take a risk?

"For Every Choice, There's A Consequence; For Every Consequence, There's Another Choice."
Old Oct 29, 2014, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
In my case when I built my 8 I drive her less and less.
Reason you ask? Once you reach a certain point in power your ****ED! Lol problems start and some people don't like the hassle.
GL

At what power point in power did problems start?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slvrevo84
At what power point in power did problems start?
From what I have learned about modifying cars and motorcycles......once you start messing with stuff the reliability goes out the window.
If you read here on the forums you will find people making 500whp reliably for quite a while.

Quick Reply: Buying built evo