Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Air Bag recall notice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bag recall notice?

Anyone else get this recall letter from Mitsubishi? Guess the passenger side airbag can deploy at any time and the dealer has to fix.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:58 PM

Also received for my 04 RS, but I am not suw I wish them to remove the dash from the car to fix that
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I received the recall paper about two days ago .The recall states if vehicle is in a high humidity state or sold from one, it will need to be change out.It says about 2 hrs to fix.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
There isn't any expectation of deployment op.

The issue is with the particular pyro used in this model (2002-2007 Lancer) having problems witnessed in other models. The housings are letting go like grenades when they deploy, and I think there have been two fatalities (both in Hondas) if I recall correctly. There are zero instances of issues that we are aware of with Mitsubishis.

Mitsubishi is calling back a narrow window of these to send to Takata for comparison with known failing units.
If anything is found to indicate these are susceptible too, it is expected all 2002-2007 pyros will get changed.... whether that will extend beyond high humidity states or not is anyones guess.

If you get one of these campaigns, do your dealership a favor and if it looks like your radio/alarm/gauges were installed by a one handed rhesus monkey with down syndrome, take them out or clean your mess up first.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superbovine
If anything is found to indicate these are susceptible too, it is expected all 2002-2007 pyros will get changed.... whether that will extend beyond high humidity states or not is anyones guess.
I heard it has
Old Nov 21, 2014, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Also a heads up, I did not realize the 2002-2003 is a completely different design than the suspicious ones; no info on 2006-2007 though.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 02:44 PM

I just had Mitsubishi run my Vin# to check if any recalls and said I had none, I have 2004 WW RS. Wonder why some have recalls and some don't!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Only FL, HI, PR registered 04-05s.

The actual NHTSA recalls do not apply to our cars, we are just sending examples to Takata for analysis as high humidity examples.
If a problem is found then it would likely expand to all states, but for right now you will only get a recall if it is an 04-05 and the following conditions as well.
Either:
[1] The vehicle was originally sold in Florida, Hawaii or Puerto Rico
[2] The vehicle was at one time registered in Florida, Hawaii or Puerto Rico
[3] The vehicle is currently registered in Florida, Hawaii or Puerto Rico
AND:
The vehicle was selected to be part of the campaign

Not all 04-05s that fit in to the humid state requirements will be included. They selected about 2000 vehicles TOTAL.... you can imagine how many 04-05 Lancers in general were sold either in one of those locations, lived there at some point, or live there now. 2000 is just a chunk of them, not all vehicles.

So remember:
1) Must be 04-05
2) Must fit one of the requirements involving the three high humidity states/provinces
3) Must be one of the selected vehicles for evaluation

This is not an actual recall, just an investigative campaign to help Takata and in the process determine if we have anything to worry about. It is being handled like a recall (as all campaigns are); the common thread between it and the deadly Honda bags etc make it confusing. Our airbags have had zero reported instances of failure.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Update:

Affected regions are expanding, adding another ~6 states supposedly. Also rumor is they are switching it to an official recall (meaning they likely found failures among the test units from the campaign).
If that is the case, I would imagine that its a good possibility that it will cross the country. Mitsubishi loves doing limited-state recalls, but considering the magnifying glass NHTSA has on Takata, if ours are poo poo Feds will probably push for all 04-05 to get recalled.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

SOunds like 06's are safe then.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

So far. I haven't had an 06 in here in a long time and I can't recall what the igniter design is like, if it is the same or not. Given how different the 02-03 igniters are, there is a good chance 06-07 is a totally different design too.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
got an 05 and didn't get any notice for it
Old Dec 3, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
got an 05 and didn't get any notice for it
Preliminary campaigns were limited to three states/territories only, and only certain VINs within those states, not all VINs from 04-05 in those states were selected.

The expanded states that are forthcoming will not include Virginia. Unless your car was registered in a southern state in the past, you will not get a notice.

The expanded states that will likely turn in to a recall do not even have a time table yet for notification. You would not have gotten anything yet, and even if you are eligible you likely will not get anything for 1-2 months depending on how fast they mobilize it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 06:39 PM

Interesting read...what does everyone think, go ahead and let the dealer do the recall?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

why chance it? or drive around with oakleys on all the time.

Quick Reply: Air Bag recall notice?