Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Looking to learn how to self tune

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking to learn how to self tune

Hey guys I was on the sticker thread on how to mod your evo $100 at a time and I want to learn how to self tune now.....

I'm looking at getting the evoscan but the links they provided well they didn't work so if you guys could help me out with where to find the items I need....that'd be awesome!!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 05:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
If you are honestly looking to start tuning your car yourself and can't figure out where to buy EvoScan from (*cough) www.evoscan.com (*cough) then you're in for a world of hurt. Your searching skills are going to have to improve dramatically as the spoon feeding of answers diminishes the deeper you go. Have you read through Merlin's ECUFlash Tuning Guide yet?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 08:57 AM

I'm more looking to log first and see how my levels look.....and I searched and found very little.....just looking for the RIGHT ANSWERS
The following users liked this post:
Cali909 (Apr 20, 2020)
Old Nov 2, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Keep reading. No one can tell you the right answers otherwise you won't know why they're right, in which case you won't understand the basics of tuning. You need everything to click in your head for itself
Old Nov 2, 2014, 09:25 AM

I have researched this exact topic for over 2 years. In my opinion, the following company is currently the best and most reasonably priced way to learn how to tune: http://www.learntotune.com/. I have read several books on the topic and the videos offered by High Performance Academy were much more detailed and helpful than anything I read. Tuning an engine properly requires a comprehensive and analytical approach. The tuners (calibrators) that work for all the major car manufacturers have an engineering degree with specific experience in control systems and calibration. I am not saying you need a four year degree to successfully tune your car, but don't expect to be learn everything over night.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 09:28 AM

Looking for guidance and for someone to point me in the right direction
Old Nov 2, 2014, 09:43 AM

http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-o...flashing-cable

Am I looking in the right place??
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
A quick bit of advice, while you are learning be sure to tune on a motor you can afford to loose. You are going to find stuff out the hard way.

Make sure you set up your boost cut, I have seen way to many people forget that.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link

http://sevo.motionforum.net/t15-guide-how-to-tune-your-evo-ix-with-ecuflash
Old Nov 2, 2014, 07:55 PM

Once you have the cable. First thing you should do is do a log and see how much knock you have. To do that you need the cable + evoscan. I use evoscan v2.9. Works quite well. You want to log RPM, Throttle position, knocksum, injector duty cycle, 2byte load, and timing advance. If you drag all of those items to the top it will populate them together in excel which makes your job easier. Start datalogging in evoscan, find a nice flat road and do a 2k-7k rpm pull in 3rd gear. Then open up the log that you did in excel. When you get in there delete all the cells that aren't 100% throttle, and if you want you can round stuff to whole number to make it easier.

The first thing you want to do is eliminate knock before you start doing anything to make your engine safe. The general rule for knock elimination is you pull 1 degree of timing for every 3 counts of knock. SO if you have 9 counts of knock pull 3 degrees of timing for instance. You need to go into ecuflash to do this. You have to copy your stock ecu tune onto your laptop and save it as a base (safe) tune. I make mine read only so if anything goes wrong I can go back to it. In ecuflash you then need to scroll down until you find the timing maps, and select the high octane timing map. Then in there adjust your values depending on the load to remove the knock. The values are positive for degrees of timing advance and negative for degrees of timing retard. Once the values are adjusted based on the load, you need to smooth the values either side to create a smooth transition through the power band and rev range.

Its a bit of a guessing game when you first start. If you just adjust the high octane timing maps one or two degrees at a time, and do a couple of logs in between each tune, recording what is happening and further adjusting, you can't go wrong. The stock fuel maps are very rich and safe. My advice definitely is though, ONLY ADJUST THE HIGH OCTANE TIMING MAP, do not adjust the low octane. The low octane is your failsafe map, and will revert mainly to this if you get a bad batch of fuel. Any more questions feel free too ask. There is a sample of my high octane ignition map at the bottom so you can get an idea of what I mean about smoothing between cells on the map.

Happy tuning
Attached Thumbnails Looking to learn how to self tune-capture.png  

Last edited by bradswims11; Nov 2, 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
watch all 16 videos.

Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:42 PM

Welcome, Nice to see you on the forum. First you'll need purchase the rite cable for your car . Some cables only data log and others allow you to flash your ECU , so make sure you get the rite cable so you can flash if that is what you intend to do. Then for starters you'll need to get Merlins book for tuning EVOs'.
(http://www.evoscan.com/ecuflash/Merl...UIDE-V1.7a.pdf)

And there are some videos also to help get you started.

(
)

This forum is the best place to gain knowledge for everything you may want to do to your EVO. Get used to reading because it's all here. I myself have already replaced my map sensor with an omni 4 bar and upgraded my injectors to 780pte and done some mild ign, and fuel tuning. My car has come alive with all of the other parts I already have on it. I made some small changes and data loged to see how they worked out. Read in this forum to see what your looking for in logs and you'll be doing a lot of them. You'll be fine as long as you are not making BIG changes and looking for 1000hp by tomorrow. It's not as hard as you might think as long as you are patient and do more reading then tuning in the beginning. Oh, and your car is it's own beast. Don't try to copy what other people do. GOOD LUCK!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:45 PM

Yes, that is the rite cable if you have an 8 or 9. I believe you want the 2.0 if you have the 10.