Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How to tell if a Evo 8 FQ300 is genuine?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had a chat with the previous owner and he says it's all genuine and legit, if we get the chassis number checked it'll show up as FQ300.

Will find out from Mitsubishi to be sure now.
There are a few other ones here in New Zealand that look the same as this one (no rear fog light etc) and they come with a certificate of authenticity from Mitsubishi.

EDIT: Also some of the paperwork for servicing and repairs from Mitsubishi say FQ300 in the details where the plate number and model number are written.
Inside the spoiler is full carbon (not just the blade), which isn't even like that on my mates Evo 9, I doubt they would put full carbon on a 'regular 8' and not a 9..

Last edited by zboost; Nov 5, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:19 PM

The biggest performance car dealership in New Zealand sold this Evo 8 labelled as FQ300 and looks the same, no rear fog lights etc. I'm starting to think they may have actually made one for the NZ market..
This car also shows up as a "NZ new" Evo 8 when the chassis number is ran.
http://carupdater.com/cars/used/print.aspx?id=999316848

A few other people said there were like 10-16 FQ300s made for the New Zealand market.

In another message from the previous owner he says:
"The new zealand new fq300 are originally standard evo 8s that are tuned as a option when purchased from the dealer. Trust me it's a FQ300, I wouldn't have bought it myself otherwise. Ring Mitsubishi Motors NZ and they will confirm".

Last edited by zboost; Nov 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The wing being all carbon doesn't tell you anything. The VIII had all the all carbon wing even on the USDM cars. The IX Mitsubishi went to carbon only on the top (not the sides) and it was also hollow on the inside while the VIII has some kind of material on the inside.

That being said if Mitsubishi says it is then fine but the FQ AFAIK was always a UK only thing since it was developed locally with a UK distributor. Could someone else have built it up to the same specs sure.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:42 PM

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...vo-VIII-FQ300&

Forgot to add it has FQ300 floor mats etc.

Last edited by zboost; Nov 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

I thought FQ was only produced in the UK?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 03:16 AM

After alot of research it turns out to be 1 of 12 other FQ300s that were only produced in New Zealand.
They don't have the rear foglight, gear surround, etc like the ones produced in UK.

Turns out to be rarer than expected..
Old Nov 6, 2014, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zboost
We had a chat with the previous owner and he says it's all genuine and legit, if we get the chassis number checked it'll show up as FQ300.

Will find out from Mitsubishi to be sure now.
There are a few other ones here in New Zealand that look the same as this one (no rear fog light etc) and they come with a certificate of authenticity from Mitsubishi.

EDIT: Also some of the paperwork for servicing and repairs from Mitsubishi say FQ300 in the details where the plate number and model number are written.
Inside the spoiler is full carbon (not just the blade), which isn't even like that on my mates Evo 9, I doubt they would put full carbon on a 'regular 8' and not a 9..
chassis number wont reveal anything regarding fq
Old Nov 6, 2014, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTurboTurk
I thought FQ was only produced in the UK?
here we go again lol produced wouldnt be the word id use , they go to the uk as jdm 8 they butcher the rear bumper fit a fog light badly , put a plaque near the gear lever, piggy back , nand an exhaust and sell em on
Old Nov 6, 2014, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by todd6027
here we go again lol produced wouldnt be the word id use , they go to the uk as jdm 8 they butcher the rear bumper fit a fog light badly , put a plaque near the gear lever, piggy back , nand an exhaust and sell em on
Well what I meant by "produced in the UK" is they were brought or in other words introduced there from Japan & changes were done in UK, according to the way they wanted. Now tell me if I'm wrong or right?

Last edited by EvoTurboTurk; Nov 6, 2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 09:08 PM

Mitsubishi confirmed it as a genuine FQ300.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 09:48 PM

Thought I might add, Mitsubishi also confirmed the car was modified by Mitsubishi New Zealand soon as it entered the country. It's not UK spec.

Pretty stoked to find that out as this particular one is 1 in 12 in the whole world.
Because it's built to NZ spec it doesn't have the bumper foglight and other stupid things that ruin the look.

Last edited by zboost; Nov 6, 2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Thought I might add, Mitsubishi also confirmed the car was modified by Mitsubishi New Zealand soon as it entered the country. It's not UK spec.

Pretty stoked to find that out as this particular one is 1 in 12 in the whole world.
Because it's built to NZ spec it doesn't have the bumper foglight and other stupid things that ruin the look.
Well that worked out great then. Congrats . Not get rid of that silly sticker on the back. Either replace it with whatever the UK ones came with or just get rid of it all together. Takes away from the car in my book
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:26 PM

Hmmm...let's change that to FQ300 to a FQ1000. You will def be 1 in 12 in the world haha. Are you on MMC?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:45 PM

Nah. That forum was pretty dead when I last checked it out so didn't bother.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Quick Reply: How to tell if a Evo 8 FQ300 is genuine?