Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Faulty AC Switch/Relay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Faulty AC Switch/Relay?

So I posted this in the engine management forum, but it had no traction, and I am starting to think it's a general AC problem. So maybe someone who check in here might have better advice. If a mod wants to close that other thread that's fine, or just leave it. Either way, I won't be offended.

Evoscan is showing that my AC switch and relay both fluctuate between on and off, regardless of whether the AC is actually on or off. The obvious effect is that my idle wants to bounce around because the car thinks AC is on (or off), despite there being no load on the system. Anyone ever had this problem? Suggestions on diagnosing?

Was thinking faulty relay? I checked out the Evo shop manual, the switch is not that complicated. I really don't think it's the switch. I don't want to go chasing electrical gremlins if someone has had this same thing happen.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you tap the compressor does it kick on?

There's a common issue with the compressors needing shims in order to engage.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The AC works consistently. Always cold, never any problems. The issue is that when the AC is off, something it triggering the switch or relay, which means my IACV wants to adjust my idle, even though the AC isn't actually on.