Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What would you do? Evo 9, 2015 Wrx, or ???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with a subaru if you want a daily driver you arent going to do more then bolt ons.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 05:46 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I bought my bone stock 2005 SSL with 11,500 miles, one year ago, for $21k, in near new condition. Be patient, keep looking. Do not buy a Subaru.
Why did the car need a new transfer case? What else had to be fixed?

Edit: On a personal note, we have an individual looking to make a big purchase and he's fed a load of crap from every direction. Why? Best I can gather, so some depraved soul can look good on the Internet. There's a reason why I stopped posting here; can't stand all the bullsh/t. The constant lying. I'm gone.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 18, 2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
9!!! nothing that can break that can't be fixed
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
9!!! nothing that can break that can't be fixed

agreed!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Tell that to your old transfer case.

You're the one trying to confront me, not the other way around. This must be my turn to laugh, but none of this is funny. Sad, sure. We remember you.

you my friend are a salty dog... get your facts straight before slanging mud. my car was/is highly modded and has been so for over 30k miles. most of my problems were due to allowing an incompetent shop touch my car...

just advising the op to make a sensible decision based on fact not a person's biased opinion

but i am flattered you researched me : )
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
OP... I live pretty close to South Coast Mitsubishi, I think I saw a red Evo (couldn't tell if it was an VIII or IX since I was just driving by) on their lot. They haven't had one on sale (other than the two new ones in their showroom that you definitely don't have the money for) in a while. You might want to check it out.

Finding an Evo IX that fits your wants/needs and is within your budget is tough. FJF had a point, as you can never really tell the real condition the car is in. Of course sellers will bring the car back to stock (or close to it) if it had been modded, while sprucing it up inside and out and say it's never been tracked, they only put on an exhaust, etc. It's a risk, and the supply only gets smaller and smaller, and the ones that you would (like mine) want are going to cost more and more. I'm sure a ton of people have personal experiences buying a stock Evo with ABC miles for XYZ money and that's great, but that's not indicative of what the OP (or any serious potential buyer) will get.

I don't really think it's at the point anymore where potential buyers can be fed the "be patient, the right one will pop up" line because the right ones aren't necessarily being kept that way to one day be put up for sale, at least not for a price that a buyer would be eager to pay. Take me, for example. I have a 100% bone stock Evo IX SE with 77k miles that I bought brand new almost eight years ago. All maintenance done at either the dealership or a reputable shop, never tracked either (and feel free to look through all of my posts). I don't plan to sell the car and have no reason to sell the car. And if I were going to, rest assured I'm not giving the buyer a deal. Anyone else in a similar situation will probably do the same thing and has the leverage to do so, otherwise feel free to buy the Evos with higher mileage and were very likely returned to stock.

And unless you just really have a raging hard-on for an Evo IX and a lot of disposable income, personally I don't think it's worth it anymore to drive across the country to find the "right" Evo, especially when there's no guarantee that it won't be a wasted trip (like if the car is misrepresented) and if you're working with a certain budget. That is, unless the car just happens to be nearby some family or friends of yours who you could visit anyway.

Back to the cars -- the new WRXs aren't bad at all. I test drove one a couple of months ago, and the engine is really nice. And obviously the supply is far greater.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
OP... I live pretty close to South Coast Mitsubishi, I think I saw a red Evo (couldn't tell if it was an VIII or IX since I was just driving by) on their lot. They haven't had one on sale (other than the two new ones in their showroom that you definitely don't have the money for) in a while. You might want to check it out.

Finding an Evo IX that fits your wants/needs and is within your budget is tough. FJF had a point, as you can never really tell the real condition the car is in. Of course sellers will bring the car back to stock (or close to it) if it had been modded, while sprucing it up inside and out and say it's never been tracked, they only put on an exhaust, etc. It's a risk, and the supply only gets smaller and smaller, and the ones that you would (like mine) want are going to cost more and more. I'm sure a ton of people have personal experiences buying a stock Evo with ABC miles for XYZ money and that's great, but that's not indicative of what the OP (or any serious potential buyer) will get.

I don't really think it's at the point anymore where potential buyers can be fed the "be patient, the right one will pop up" line because the right ones aren't necessarily being kept that way to one day be put up for sale, at least not for a price that a buyer would be eager to pay. Take me, for example. I have a 100% bone stock Evo IX SE with 77k miles that I bought brand new almost eight years ago. All maintenance done at either the dealership or a reputable shop, never tracked either (and feel free to look through all of my posts). I don't plan to sell the car and have no reason to sell the car. And if I were going to, rest assured I'm not giving the buyer a deal. Anyone else in a similar situation will probably do the same thing and has the leverage to do so, otherwise feel free to buy the Evos with higher mileage and were very likely returned to stock.

And unless you just really have a raging hard-on for an Evo IX and a lot of disposable income, personally I don't think it's worth it anymore to drive across the country to find the "right" Evo, especially when there's no guarantee that it won't be a wasted trip (like if the car is misrepresented) and if you're working with a certain budget. That is, unless the car just happens to be nearby some family or friends of yours who you could visit anyway.

Back to the cars -- the new WRXs aren't bad at all. I test drove one a couple of months ago, and the engine is really nice. And obviously the supply is far greater.
I agree with you 100% on everything you've said.. lucky for me I'm in no rush I'll give it some more time before i throw in the towel.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Another option is to go to some local evo meets/car shows. If you find an evo you like, make the owner an offer. Money talks.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 01:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Why did the car need a new transfer case? What else had to be fixed?

Edit: On a personal note, we have an individual looking to make a big purchase and he's fed a load of crap from every direction. Why? Best I can gather, so some depraved soul can look good on the Internet. There's a reason why I stopped posting here; can't stand all the bullsh/t. The constant lying. I'm gone.
It started whining at 32k miles. Over 20k miles after i bought the car. Jon at TRE told me the wear pattern on the ring an pinion was exceptionally bad. Not from abuse or anything, just poor setup from the factory. I did the rear diff because I want the max-lok upgrade. Nothing was wrong with the car when I bought it. Except I would have preferred red over silver.

I don't see how posting what I paid for my near showroom condition car makes me a depraved soul. When i was looking, there were a lot of 8/9's in the 18k-26k range with varying mods and mileage. Looked at one that was around 100k miles for 18k, passed because it was more beat up then what I would accept, and had mods I didn't want. Next one I looked at was this one that I bought.

The problem with a WRX vs an Evo is your not buying the same performance category car, if thats OK with you then I guess its OK. But the WRX doesn't have a comparable brake and susppension setup to an Evo. If you were considering an STI over an Evo, it would be different. I'd still say no because the EJ motor that is still in the STI is outdated, and not on par with the new FA20 in anyway...

Originally Posted by nemsin
Another option is to go to some local evo meets/car shows. If you find an evo you like, make the owner an offer. Money talks.
This. Everything is for sale for the right price.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Nov 19, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

By the 2015 WRX if you don't have time to deal with the maintenance and can accept slightly less awesomeness.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Buying a used Evo is crap shoot. I've always told people to have 5k available to fix stuff that may go wrong shortly after ownership.
best advice. i have had both evo and wrx motors swinging from the chain.unless you have a crystal ball you'll never know and nothing is maintenance proof.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Buying a used Evo is crap shoot. I've always told people to have 5k available to fix stuff that may go wrong shortly after ownership.
This is the truth... lot's of people beat on their Evos, don't always maintain them and you get to pay to fix that mess.

My 05 is a masterpiece of crap while the other four Evos I've had in my life have all been great.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I got my IX MR for 21K 6 years ago. Unfortunately the exchange rate was horrible at the time and It cost me 28K by the time it was at my door. Fortunately it looks like the depreciation has been kind to 9's.

I'm not a subi guy but if all you're looking for is a DD, then the newer WRX might have the advantage.

Last edited by Teal2nnr; Nov 20, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just went through this exercise. I have an Evo IX MR and my daily was an Audi RS4.. the quick story is the Audi developed an issue that I wasn't going to spend to fix. So was in the market for a new daily. My criteria was 4 door, 6speed, and daily drivable. Not a ton of "newer" cars out there that fit that criteria. anycase I actually ended up buying a 2015 STi. I am not sure I can ever sell my evo. I waited a long time to be able to buy the RS4 but still nothing was like the driving experience for me with the evo.

that being said I was shocked at how well the Sti handled. Thing is stuck to the road and is very well balanced out of the box. It actually feels like its on coils.

to me the WRX and the Evo are very different cars... very hard to compare. If you are looking for somehting to daily drive i would go with a newer car if you can afford it. less to worry about.

(knock on wood) My evo is modded and all the stuff I have done to it my other cars have always broke down and the evo no matter what was always ready to go and fill the gap when other vehicles were down. I absolutly love my Evo and will have that car forever. It was the car that converted me over from be a complete Euro ***.. ;-)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

8k in my case. Leaky HG, leaky valve seals, a few bad valves, cracks in the turbo mani resulting in saying f it and doing a completely new hotside kit and turbine housing, crack in the oil pan, other misc parts and issues, labor, tuning...$8k later but hey 613hp is fun!

Quick Reply: What would you do? Evo 9, 2015 Wrx, or ???