Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd probably start with a lawyer letter.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have contacted mitsubishi north america to open a case. The dealership has admitted they cannot prove there was tuning. The manager is out until monday.... i miss my car!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:46 AM

dealership suck
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by antij0sh
I have contacted mitsubishi north america to open a case. The dealership has admitted they cannot prove there was tuning. The manager is out until monday.... i miss my car!
then screw them. to the wall.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

If a vehicle comes into my shop and me/my service dept sees that it has an open recall or flash, we have to perform the repair regardless of customer consent. We are instructed to do so per Chrysler because if the vehicle leaves the shop and gets into a crash because we didn't perform the recall/flash, we are to blame. I have seen modules lock up when being flashed multiple times, with or without a tune, it just happens. As for who pays for it, it all depends. I have seen dealerships pay half the bill while the customer pays the other half. In your situation, I would call Mitsubishi personally and speak to one of their representatives about this. Explain the situation to them and see if they will help you with the cost of the ECM. I highly doubt they fried your module on purpose and at this point, it is what it is.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by AJCaron12
If a vehicle comes into my shop and me/my service dept sees that it has an open recall or flash, we have to perform the repair regardless of customer consent. We are instructed to do so per Chrysler because if the vehicle leaves the shop and gets into a crash because we didn't perform the recall/flash, we are to blame. I have seen modules lock up when being flashed multiple times, with or without a tune, it just happens. As for who pays for it, it all depends. I have seen dealerships pay half the bill while the customer pays the other half. In your situation, I would call Mitsubishi personally and speak to one of their representatives about this. Explain the situation to them and see if they will help you with the cost of the ECM. I highly doubt they fried your module on purpose and at this point, it is what it is.
This is reasonable. They are claiming there is no other reason other than a tune that this could happen, and are offering NO help. I ask them to prove there was a tune, they reply with "prove there wasnt". And claim that the update procedure is "plug it in, press a button" perhaps it was this very over simplification that caused the issue.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

This is reasonable. They are claiming there is no other reason other than a tune that this could happen, and are offering NO help. I ask them to prove there was a tune, they reply with "prove there wasnt". And claim that the update procedure is "plug it in, press a button" perhaps it was this very over simplification that caused the issue.
Yeah, the way we do flashes is we plug the scan tool into the vehicle. Then we select the module we want to update, and click update with our computer. Then it's out of our hands. It usually takes a couple minutes to update, and we can see the progress and time remaining for the flash. But if it crashes or freezes in the middle of the flash, it's out of our control. It's just one of those things with technology that nobody can prevent. And I have seen it happen before, even with un-tuned vehicles. I doubt that they did anything intentionally, and there's really no other way to fry a module.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ This.

I have worked for dealerships as technicians and service consultants for over 10 years. Alot of the time, what will constitute help from a dealership itself is the longevity and your loyalty to them, ie; service with them and only them, etc. I would bypass the advisor at this point and wait for the service manager and have a sit down. Then go from there. Be Professional though, no one likes an ignorant sh** running through the Dealership yelling and screaming.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:10 AM

Yeah, the way we do flashes is we plug the scan tool into the vehicle. Then we select the module we want to update, and click update with our computer. Then it's out of our hands. It usually takes a couple minutes to update, and we can see the progress and time remaining for the flash. But if it crashes or freezes in the middle of the flash, it's out of our control. It's just one of those things with technology that nobody can prevent. And I have seen it before, it just sucks. I doubt that they did anything intentionally, and there's really no other way to fry a module.
Im not claiming any ill intent. What im claiming is that a) i was never warned of any possible damage to my car and b) if this is truly a no fault case that 'just happens' how on earth can they attempt to charge me full retail dealership price for a replacement?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

I also don't agree with the members on this thread going straight to jumping down the dealership's throat for a technology glitch, and not something done intentional. And I don't believe that it is fair to state the dealership's name in this situation either.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Im not claiming any ill intent. What im claiming is that a) i was never warned of any possible damage to my car and b) if this is truly a no fault case that 'just happens' how on earth can they attempt to charge me full retail dealership price for a replacement?
I do not believe it to be fair of the dealership to charge you full price for this issue. That's why I would call Mitsubishi if I was in your situation, and get this sorted out in a manner that both parties can agree on.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:21 AM

I also don't agree with the members on this thread going straight to jumping down the dealership's throat for a technology glitch, and not something done intentional. And I don't believe that it is fair to state the dealership's name in this situation either.
The dealership has treated me with nothing but an accusitory '**** You, deal with it'. This is an open issue which very well may end up right, its up to them. I already have a case open with Mitsu, i expect to hear from them on tuesday.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:25 AM

That being said, i respect your opinion.. Ive redacted the dealership identity until the issue is resolved.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

The dealership has treated me with nothing but an accusitory '**** You, deal with it'. This is an open issue which very well may end up right, its up to them. I already have a case open with Mitsu, i expect to hear from them on tuesday.
Excellent, keep us updated my friend. And good luck.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

I have seen modules lock up when being flashed multiple times, with or without a tune, it just happens.
if it crashes or freezes in the middle of the flash, it's out of our control. It's just one of those things with technology that nobody can prevent. And I have seen it happen before, even with un-tuned vehicles.
They are claiming that the ECU failing is evidence of a tune, and thats the only evidence they have.
They are claiming there is no other reason other than a tune that this could happen, ... I ask them to prove there was a tune, they reply with "prove there wasnt".
The dealership is lying to the OP. Additionally, they are telling him he has to prove a negative, that it wasn't tuned, that is, accomplish the impossible, or they'll screw him. This is patently unethical behavior. Assuming everything said here is true, they are already proven to be either incompetent or negligently ignorant as a best case or crooked liars as the worst case (that's where my money is).

OP, you need to post these scumbags names so we know which dealership engages in such incompetent or unethical practices as a normal course of doing "business".

What we should do, as a forum, is take up a collection to buy you a junkyard ECU and tune from a reputable tuner and have you post up their names to the internet hall of shame and none of us ever goes back there for any reason whatsoever, total boycott. I'm in for $20.00.

I'm pretty sure this will be my last Mitsubishi and it will never see the inside of a Mitsubishi dealership ever again.

Last edited by wjamyers; Nov 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help...