Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Oil Change Question!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Question!!!!

My dealership is not really close and they have been working on re-modeling the service department... So I was wondering the specifics on an oil change so I could go else where....

What type of oil (specically)? Do I have to go with mobile one? How much should it cost?

I remember a freind that went to a Jiffy Lube and they charged him $60 for an oil change on his WRX... That is crazy.. I never pay more then $30...

Please help
Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Do it yourself. Use Mobil 1 10W30 or other fully synthetic. I always use Mobil 1. Pick up an oil filter at your dealer and new washer. They charge more for fully synthetic oil changes and they put a nice mark up on the price. That's why it's $60. I buy a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $19, plus a $6 OEM filter and do it myself. Still way under $30 and 20 minutes of your time.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
There was a thread I think last summer that gave some nice details on doing the oil change on the EVO. The drain plug is pretty easy to reach, but be wary of the downpipe if you warm the oil first (I burnt my arm on it.....I should have been wearing long sleeves).

If you you have enough jacks, jackstands, ramps, etc., it might be a good idea to raise both ends of the car up so its relatively flat so the oil drains out better (or just lower the car carefully when the oil is draining).

As for oil filters, I think the two most common choices are the Mitsubishi filter and the Mobil 1 M108. I think you can use any synthetic oil of the proper grade (i.e. 10W-30), but I stick with Mobil 1.

I would recommend some sort of clamping filter wrench as I had a rough time trying to get the oil filter off with regular metal and strap-type filter wrenches.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

it's easy to change your own oil. you don't even have to jack the car. do a search and you'll be free
Old Mar 15, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

I let the dealer change mine. Not because I couldn't do it myself but I want to build a nice working relationship with the service folks. Then they know the car has been serviced correctly and regularly if a future warranty claim comes up. Also the EVO wants a tire rotation at each oil change. Just had the change/rotation done recently at the dealer for $74. Seemed reasonable to me.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:22 PM

Just a thing about warranty, I know changing your oil yourself is MUCH cheaper than bringing it to a shop, but what about warranty purposes. If you ever have any problems with your engine or drive train, wouldn't they ask you about your oil change history?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

get synthetic. i use mobil1 also, although i hear castrol and royalpurple work great too.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, just save your receipts for your oil and filter purchases, keep a log of your changes and mileage. It does not state anywhere that the Evo MUST be serviced by Mitsu. You are not jeapordizing your warantee by changing your own oil or other routine maintenance.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

it's not a situation of getting synthetic... it's you MUST get it... you can expect elevated prices since synthetic oil costs at least twice as much as regular oil... Mobil 1 is the standard, but I'd go with Royal Purple or Amsoil... also, SinCity is right... just keep receipts and mileages... and please, please don't take an Evo to Jiffy Lube...