Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do I need to upgrade my intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to upgrade my intercooler?

These are a list of my mods.. I honestly am on a budget right now and have a lot going on but going in for a tune for my car and was wondering if upgrading my intercooler was necessary?

I NEVER have tracked my car, and never will.. I don't race, and do plan on driving often... Only time I ever step on the car WOT is on the highway..

I am running on e85.

Perrin Intake System
Buschur Ported Intake Manifold
Buschur Ported Throttle Body
Buschur Ported Exhaust Manifold
GSC S2 Cams
GSC Beehive Springs and Retainers
ARP Head Studs
o2 Housing No name
Megan Test Pipe
Megan Downpipe
Tanabe Cat Back
Muse Complete Intercooler piping kit
1120 FIC Injectors
Walbro 400lph Fuel Pump
Samco Radiator Hoses
Hallman Pro Boost Controller
Stage 2 Competition Clutch

Help me out here.. And if I need to upgrade would the vrsf 3.5" be okay or must I go ETS 3.5"

THANKS!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Upgrading the I/C does free up some hp and doesn't heat soak as quickly as the stock unit. With the stock turbo it is not a must do, especially with e85. If you have more pressing things to spend the money on, then the stocker will be fine. As far as a choice between the two you listed, the majority of folks on here will say ETS. With what you do with your car the VRSF will do well too if you're wanting to upgrade and save a little as well.

I run the VRSF on my track Evo and it does well. It does heat soak a bit faster than the ETS but does what it is intended to do for my purpose.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
AGP is one of the best intercoolers on the market. They're currently selling them for $395 for Black Friday.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 09:42 AM
au

Can't go wrong with ETS or AMS.

However, if you are on a budget and haven't already I suggest you upgrade the intercooler piping, especially the lower part.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

I'm seriously tempted by that intercooler for my IX but have not long had my car modded and mapped (cams, intake, rods, EBC, tbe), would this intercooler be a good addition, would it really throw off my map and if so, would my tuner just need to touch up the map or am I looking at another full tuning session?

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
AGP is one of the best intercoolers on the market. They're currently selling them for $395 for Black Friday.
I am looking towards this now and reading reviews never heard of the AGP. thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D1andonlyantman
I'm seriously tempted by that intercooler for my IX but have not long had my car modded and mapped (cams, intake, rods, EBC, tbe), would this intercooler be a good addition, would it really throw off my map and if so, would my tuner just need to touch up the map or am I looking at another full tuning session?

Thanks
Just a touch up

Originally Posted by VerbalKilla
I am looking towards this now and reading reviews never heard of the AGP. thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the response. When my car was being mapped the tuner said he basically ran out of injector capability (duty I think he called it), does that mean if I did buy this intercooler I'd want new injectors because it's no use having denser cooler air if I can't add more fuel?

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by D1andonlyantman
Thanks for the response. When my car was being mapped the tuner said he basically ran out of injector capability (duty I think he called it), does that mean if I did buy this intercooler I'd want new injectors because it's no use having denser cooler air if I can't add more fuel?

Thanks
He's saying you're at 100% duty cycle, you've exceeded what your injectors can handle/flow. In short if your injectors will not be able to flow the required amount of fuel given the air charge being taken in. So yes it would be best to upgrade injectors.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

And then because I'm changing the injectors adjusting the map would be a lot more difficult wouldn't it, rather than just a touch up? I'm just trying to weigh up whether I should get the intercooler now or just wait until I do the turbo, manifolds etc at some point down the road
Old Dec 1, 2014, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by VerbalKilla
I NEVER have tracked my car, and never will.. I don't race, and do plan on driving often... Only time I ever step on the car WOT is on the highway..
No, you do not need to upgrade your intercooler. Stock intercooler is good for extended pulls at ~400whp. You are not going to heat soak it with highway pulls unless that highway is the autobahn.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, well then maybe I didn't need to buy one just now then lol even if I didn't need it, it will go well with my red and black theme I've got going on so I'm happy. Seeing as mine is an fq340 that comes with a hks hardpipe kit, does that mean I should be alright to not buy new IC pipes?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
The LICP with worth replacing, the stock one is pretty restrictive. UICP will only give very slight power gains unless you are running some serious boost.

Consider getting a LICP that has the "bolt" attachment point to prevent it from blowing off. Like the AMS design http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...-Polished.html