Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Advice on buyin a 03 evo 8..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on buyin a 03 evo 8..

Im looking into buying my first evo, looking at one in my price range but things that seem kinda strange are that it has a older evo ix motor in the car an the car is a 03 evo 8.. would that affect the value of the car itself.. what would be a reasonable price range? shell has 180k plus miles aswell.. im new to the evo scene and need some advice thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 09:19 PM

and if someone that has past experience in evo's could point me in the right direction on what to look for when buying evo.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well whats the story about WHY there is a IX motor in the 8? HOw's the body? Was the transmission/tcase also from a IX? If so how many miles? If not has it been rebuilt at anytime? What mods are on the car?

At a minimum have a leakdown and/or compression test done at a shop you trust locally.

Whats the asking price?

Also (especially for a car that old) You need ot set aside money to rebuild the transmission and transfercase and at a minimum get a decent stock clutch. So I would set aside at least 3-4k if you arent doing the work yourself for anything that may come up after you get the car.

Thats alot of miles so maintenance history would be good to know. Has the owner been on evom or another local Evo/performance car site. You can tell alot about someone by how they post or reply to posts.

Good luck. Expect issues to arise......that way you are mentally prepared to deal with them. Its a performance car and unfortunately some people don't know or care how to take care of them properly and rather then do the right thing and fix properly or fully disclose they don't. Plan accordingly.

Oh and before you get it. Search. Mostly everything has been covered on this site.....hell if you google alot of links lead back here anyway.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
^^ Pretty much this. How much is the asking price?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
seems like someone else's nightmare but who knows, this just might be the diamond in the rough? I always try to state that if you want to buy a used evo....COMPRESSION TEST! Then do it again just to be sure!

I know for a fact that while a lot of the members on here are like my self and are diligent and responsible for their vehicles, there's an abundant amount of people that just rag the crap out of these cars and then just dump it onto the next person. It's sad. But something you want to be wary of.

Ask for receipts, meticulous car owners keep all their receipts =)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it.

as for the motor he said a performance ship in Pa did the full swap after him buying the evo as a shell a couple years back.

he said the trans and all is from a evo 8 motor is from a evo ix jdm with unders 70k miles.. but has no paper work to back up his claim.

i did run a car fax and it came back clean title no accidents in the past but shell had alot of miles.

im new to the evo scene but not new too turbo charged engines and am mechanic savvy.

as for the body all the lines panels trunk etc line up perfect no dings or dents , honestly for a 03 i was very surpised how good good the body looked.

Im only scared about him not having documentation for the swap being done, that said shell is approach 200k miles does that affect the resale value later in the future even with a fresh motor swapped in?

i have been looking on the fourms for some time now , but due to me being new to this fourm wont let me really post anywhere yet to ask questions on the subjects.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
seems like someone else's nightmare but who knows, this just might be the diamond in the rough? I always try to state that if you want to buy a used evo....COMPRESSION TEST! Then do it again just to be sure!

I know for a fact that while a lot of the members on here are like my self and are diligent and responsible for their vehicles, there's an abundant amount of people that just rag the crap out of these cars and then just dump it onto the next person. It's sad. But something you want to be wary of.

i 100% agree with the keeping all the reciepts i have all mine from my s2000 sense 04 lol.

he does not have any but texts from the shop.. again sketchy.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much is he asking for it?

Originally Posted by RedAppleAlee
Thanks for the information guys, appreciate it.

as for the motor he said a performance ship in Pa did the full swap after him buying the evo as a shell a couple years back.

he said the trans and all is from a evo 8 motor is from a evo ix jdm with unders 70k miles.. but has no paper work to back up his claim.

i did run a car fax and it came back clean title no accidents in the past but shell had alot of miles.

im new to the evo scene but not new too turbo charged engines and am mechanic savvy.

as for the body all the lines panels trunk etc line up perfect no dings or dents , honestly for a 03 i was very surpised how good good the body looked.

Im only scared about him not having documentation for the swap being done, that said shell is approach 200k miles does that affect the resale value later in the future even with a fresh motor swapped in?

i have been looking on the fourms for some time now , but due to me being new to this fourm wont let me really post anywhere yet to ask questions on the subjects.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:52 AM

hes asking 14.5k or best offer,

im in no rush to buy one and this being said, is it worth anything even in that ball park?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by bphx123
how much is he asking for it?
14.5 or best offer.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by VWJETTY

Thats all i dont want to get into is someone else nightmare and i have been thrown into the middle.

with any performance car theirs going to be things to break and what not, not scared to get my hands dirty..

just dont want to buy one and 2 months down motor needs a full rebuild.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How do you buy a shell with no accidents and it not be a salvage and it would come with a clean title. I don't buy it--too many things going the wrong direction.
Maybe folks now are just stripping (evo's) and selling the shells with no records and a clean title?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
How do you buy a shell with no accidents and it not be a salvage and it would come with a clean title. I don't buy it--too many things going the wrong direction.
Maybe folks now are just stripping (evo's) and selling the shells with no records and a clean title?
why it came to me a little sketchy, i mean even though the car fax came out clean, who really knows what happen. im in no rush just hard to find a clean title evo in general in my area and in the 14-16k range is even harder.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Evo IX motors had MIVEC and stock Evo 8 wiring and ECU will not be setup for that. It sounds like a Frankenstein car to me. Keep looking.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 09:42 AM

yeah i guess time to keep looking,

whats on average a good reading on a compression check?

Quick Reply: Advice on buyin a 03 evo 8..