Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

04 Evolution leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Evolution leaking gas

Hey guys! New to the forums here and as much as I'd like to make a proper introduction as a new Evo owner, I've got a problem.

Earlier this week, on Monday, the car threw a check engine light "P0456 evap leak very small." After some research I decided the best place to start was with the gas cap. I cleared the check engine light and drove for a couple of days. Yesterday I bought a new OEM gas cap from a Mitsubishi dealership and put it on the car last night. I filled the tank to slightly over full and drove about 15-20 miles before parking it in my garage for the night.

This morning I wake up with the smell of gasoline in the house, and go out to the garage to find that there is a good sized puddle of gasoline right next to the inside of the drivers side rear tire. I looked underneath the car and noticed the side of the gas tank facing me is covered with gas as well. I tried to look up further but really can not pinpoint where this leak may be originating from. I'll go back outside and take some pictures to add here if it may help.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this leak? Before last night the car never leaked, is it possible I just overfilled it? Also the check engine light has not come back on since clearing it Monday.

Edit with pics:

Size of the puddle after I wiped it up

New drips already forming maybe ten minutes after wiping up the original mess

Attached Thumbnails 04 Evolution leaking gas-image8_zpsbfe6ec54.jpg   04 Evolution leaking gas-image9_zpsc086f92f.jpg   04 Evolution leaking gas-image10_zps3897d81f.jpg   04 Evolution leaking gas-image11_zpsf08563ba.jpg   04 Evolution leaking gas-image12_zps196adad6.jpg  

04 Evolution leaking gas-image13_zps2073a043.jpg  

Last edited by _Ryan_; Dec 4, 2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't top off, gas expands.

Given the chain of events, I would withhold judgment until you run it down a little (or siphon it out, whatever) and see if it still leaks with a normal fill.
Given the leak fault, it is entirely possible you have a tank leak and over filling forced it out that way... but when you fill it beyond capacity all bets are off.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by superbovine
Don't top off, gas expands.

Given the chain of events, I would withhold judgment until you run it down a little (or siphon it out, whatever) and see if it still leaks with a normal fill.
Given the leak fault, it is entirely possible you have a tank leak and over filling forced it out that way... but when you fill it beyond capacity all bets are off.
Thanks for the reply! I drove it around today and now it's been parked for a few hours and hasn't leaked a drop... looks like I need to drop the tank this weekend and do some resealing.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Check the bolts that hold the fuel pump in the tank. I had a leak and it turned out, when I took off the back seat and the cover, the fuel bump was missing a bolt that held it in the tank was missing a nut causing a leak when the car was near full.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with rjfg, pull the back seat and check the cover. Also, check the line and make sure it's not loose or damaged. A lot easier and faster than dropping the tank.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 08:16 PM

Got it guys, I'll be giving those a look-see before making any more moves tomorrow. Thank you for the help!