Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best Battery?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Best Battery?

Hello EvoM,

So my Optima Yellow Top went bad yesterday, after having served me well for 5 years. My battery storage has been relocated to a box in the trunk and so of course, I now need a new battery. I was thinking of going with a mini battery (odyssey), but was reading some threads where people were hesitant to put a mini battery in the trunk. So now I'm here.

Let's hear a recommendation (and an explanation as to why would be nice as well).

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 01:01 AM
Evolving Member

any specific reason why you want a mini battery instead of a standard one? the only reason people get mini batteries is to make room in the engine bay. but seeing as your battery is already relocated, I really see no reason why you should run a mini battery over a standard one.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evil.evo
any specific reason why you want a mini battery instead of a standard one? the only reason people get mini batteries is to make room in the engine bay. but seeing as your battery is already relocated, I really see no reason why you should run a mini battery over a standard one.
WEIGHT REDUCTION BRO!!!

lol...but no really that was my reasoning. But if it is better to go with standard I will stick with standard.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Insanity Evo
Hello EvoM,

So my Optima Yellow Top went bad yesterday, after having served me well for 5 years. My battery storage has been relocated to a box in the trunk and so of course, I now need a new battery. I was thinking of going with a mini battery (odyssey), but was reading some threads where people were hesitant to put a mini battery in the trunk. So now I'm here.

Let's hear a recommendation (and an explanation as to why would be nice as well).

Thanks!
I'm using a Odyssey PC680 and had my last one forever. I just replaced it with the same model when the weather changed. Its also been like 5-6 years too.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
check out the miata battery setups. its somewhat lighter and smaller than stock while being reliable and inexpensive.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
I'm using a Odyssey PC680 and had my last one forever. I just replaced it with the same model when the weather changed. Its also been like 5-6 years too.
any issues with the battery dieing easier over time sitting or by using radio in the accessory ignition setting for a bit?

I want to do a mini odyssey battery but am worried about these things as it is my weekend car and will sit for a week at a time.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by alexc
any issues with the battery dieing easier over time sitting or by using radio in the accessory ignition setting for a bit?

I want to do a mini odyssey battery but am worried about these things as it is my weekend car and will sit for a week at a time.
I have a Odyssey PC680 on my Evo IX. My Evo is my weekend car/track car and it sits anywhere from a week to two weeks without me driving it. It starts up without hesitation everytime. I've never had an issue with the PC680.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
check out the miata battery setups. its somewhat lighter and smaller than stock while being reliable and inexpensive.
Is this what you use? Also any preference as far as brand? Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Insanity Evo
Is this what you use? Also any preference as far as brand? Thanks!
I'm running an Odyssey PC925, but I would have run a Miata battery setup if I had figured it out first. I'd have just used a Sears branded one. I think there are a few vendors out there making trays for the Miata battery.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 180 Likes on 76 Posts
I use a varta silver series battery it's brilliant
Old Dec 9, 2014, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

It's also small and packs a lot of power.

Trev
Old Dec 9, 2014, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Old Dec 9, 2014, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

It's also small and packs a lot of power.

Trev
Old Dec 9, 2014, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have the budget i'd recommend lithium pros. throw that 4 pound battery back up front and get rid of 4 pounds of wiring. Mine's been lasting pretty well so far.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Braille makes great batteries, whether a full size dry cell or lithium ion. I'll be purchasing one when my current battery dies

Quick Reply: Best Battery?