Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo 9 gsr ssl or evo 9 mr

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with the ssl or se over the mr. the 6 speed isn't really needed unless you do a lot of highway driving. But even when I did drive the highways with the 5 speed it wasn't bad... And if you ever decide you do wanna mod it youll already be set with the 5 speed.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by apexnine
I wasn't saying the 6-speed is terrible, I love my car. I just don't have high hp goals. So, the MR suits me just fine. Sometimes I just wish 1st and 2nd were just a smidge longer...
Change your final drive for longer gears? There are a surprising number of options if you search.

OP do you spend a lot of time on the highway? If so go with the 6spd.
If you want the sunroof buy one and install it. Or find someone who wants the lighter aluminium and trade.
The SE trim looks better IMO, just harder to keep clean. The SSL leather looks like you could barf on it, wipe it off with a dirty sock and look brand new.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpskie
I'm with you on the interior though. I am really happy I got the SSL. The seats fit my shoulders better, I love having OEM quality HIDs, the stereo is good enough that I haven't bothered to upgrade and the entire car has a "touring" feel to it, which is nice. As you have probably expected, I say go SSL and don't worry about it.
[/URL]
Since when are the seats a different size between SSL and other versions of the same Evo?

I do agree the HIDs are worth it over the standard Evos.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the sunroof and stock sound system!

I searched a while for an SSL, they seemed pretty rare on the IX, especially in good condition but I finally found an unmolested WW IX. I was also looking at MRs and test drove a few; the aluminum roof and lightweight BBS wheels were very appealing. The SSL has a heavier roof which raises the center of gravity a bit and I think it might be the heaviest Evo model. Maybe if you tracked a stock MR and stock SSL back to back you might notice a difference but as a DD or weekend warrior I don't think you will ever notice.

You really can't lose no matter what model you get, honestly. Just make sure it's not beat to crap.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by isiz
I love the sunroof and stock sound system!

I searched a while for an SSL, they seemed pretty rare on the IX, especially in good condition but I finally found an unmolested WW IX. I was also looking at MRs and test drove a few; the aluminum roof and lightweight BBS wheels were very appealing. The SSL has a heavier roof which raises the center of gravity a bit and I think it might be the heaviest Evo model. Maybe if you tracked a stock MR and stock SSL back to back you might notice a difference but as a DD or weekend warrior I don't think you will ever notice.

You really can't lose no matter what model you get, honestly. Just make sure it's not beat to crap.
I have heard a lot of people say they love the sound system? Mine is straight garbage...
Not too concerned with it though. No one buys an Evo for the interior or sound system.

I agree 100% with the comment of not going wrong with any trim. All great. But, why does everyone seem to dislike silver? I have always loved that color.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by apexnine
I have heard a lot of people say they love the sound system? Mine is straight garbage...
Not too concerned with it though. No one buys an Evo for the interior or sound system.

I agree 100% with the comment of not going wrong with any trim. All great. But, why does everyone seem to dislike silver? I have always loved that color.
I've never upgraded speakers on any of my cars so maybe my standards are low for speakers

Most of the MRs I test drove were silver and they looked fantastic. I would have gone with silver had the right opportunity presented itself.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 01:14 PM

I got a GSR and i FREAKING LOVE IT. But regardless Any model is better than the lancer oz :P
Old Dec 21, 2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by isiz
I've never upgraded speakers on any of my cars so maybe my standards are low for speakers

Most of the MRs I test drove were silver and they looked fantastic. I would have gone with silver had the right opportunity presented itself.
Silver was my first choice. Than black or blue. Just have heard a lot of people say anything but silver... Each to their own I guess. Can't be too picky anymore... I see less and less of them around.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I swapped out my 6 speed. There's only a few hundred rpm difference in 5th on a 5 speed compared to the 6th on the 6-speed when you're on the highway. Also, I must be one of the few people that prefer the MR interior....then again I do own an MR so I guess I would be bias.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

5 speed is stronger and regardless if youre NOT tracking your car, at least it will last you longer!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

MR or SSL will bring you the same joy, just as long as its not an RS or a base GSR with halogen lights and no fogs
Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:18 PM

5 speed for sure.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that 500 HP is pushing it for a stock 6-speed? Obviously, driving habits will affect survivability.

Also, if you are taller, you may want to sit in an SSL before buying. A bit less headroom, compared with other Evos.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Igaly1021
MR or SSL will bring you the same joy, just as long as its not an RS or a base GSR with halogen lights and no fogs
you mean the 9 right, mine is a 8 gsr and i have hid.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
you mean the 9 right, mine is a 8 gsr and i have hid.
05 and 06 gsr base came with no fogs only halogen