Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo 9 gsr ssl or evo 9 mr

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool evo 9 gsr ssl or evo 9 mr

Hi im just wanting to get some info on wat car is the best option for my first evo , just want to be my daily driver n some ponys im gona baby it. Im not into beating it or doin any hard driving on this car. So its u get what u pay for ? I currently have a 5 speed lancer oz n want to feel of a 6 speed but for the gsr I want it for the ssl pakage. Is their any way I can get the gsr ssl n covert it to 6 speed ? I know it might be a stupid question but I realy wanr to get help on the car that im willing to spend 30k $ for this evo 9 . What would be the big difference on these two cars thanks. Or wat is the best choise
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:53 PM

All I know is that the 6 speed gearboxes are weaker than the 5 speed. Thats if you thrash it. I got one as a daily and the 6th gear is a good cruising gear....
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:20 PM

Thanks that's why I want the mr but im so want the ssl pakage they look so nice inside, how much would be the max hp in the mr handle
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Get a MR and buy a ssl interior and swap out. Much easier than a trans swap.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Is the only reason you want the 6 speed to keep the RPMs down? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I commute my car 100 miles a day at 85 mph. At that speed, the motor isn't spinning too fast and I'm going as fast as I want to.

I'm with you on the interior though. I am really happy I got the SSL. The seats fit my shoulders better, I love having OEM quality HIDs, the stereo is good enough that I haven't bothered to upgrade and the entire car has a "touring" feel to it, which is nice. As you have probably expected, I say go SSL and don't worry about it.

Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
just get any evo and you will be satisfied over your lancer.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:42 PM

Yea im in love wit the ssl , yeah thats why i wanted the mr to cruise in low rpms n feel the 6 speed trans , thank u guys lil by lil and searching for my electric blue ssl evo 9 il be patient to find my dream car il find it still got till next summer
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Whatever you do, don't swap in an 6 speed if you get an SSL. You might be the only person on the forums who does that lol.

5 speeds give you a lot of options if you do increase in power. 6 speeds are more fragile and limited to about 400 tq.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:49 PM

From a guy who has a 6-speed, get the 5-speed and stick with it.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 09:36 PM

Nice ���� thats why i like this site, i will take ur guys advice on getting the 5 speed. I heard that 6 speed are weaker but not realy hear it from a owner that has the MR (apexnine)thats a plus for me to get me the ssl . I got to choose the perfect evo bc im droping 30k$ for this car n so far im liking the opinions from evo owners props for u guys
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:31 PM

I wasn't saying the 6-speed is terrible, I love my car. I just don't have high hp goals. So, the MR suits me just fine. Sometimes I just wish 1st and 2nd were just a smidge longer...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apexnine
I wasn't saying the 6-speed is terrible, I love my car. I just don't have high hp goals. So, the MR suits me just fine. Sometimes I just wish 1st and 2nd were just a smidge longer...
Likewise. I love my evo and my 6 speed. I don't have high hp goals either and will stick with the MR 6 speed as long as it lasts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 03:55 PM

Il love to feel the 6 speed but that ssl interior is so beautiful i never had a leather in a car im not planing going high hp, my goals will be hitting 500 hp n just cruise it but il need to test them both
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by clubinlanceroz
Il love to feel the 6 speed but that ssl interior is so beautiful i never had a leather in a car im not planing going high hp, my goals will be hitting 500 hp n just cruise it but il need to test them both
Meh, Ive ridden in my buddy's Electric Blue SSL and I wasn't a fan of the leather interior. I would only want the SSL due to sunroof cause I've never owned a car with a sunroof lol.

My personal favorite is the SE interior. The red stiching looks awesome and the seat feels firmer.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by wacboyjulian
Meh, Ive ridden in my buddy's Electric Blue SSL and I wasn't a fan of the leather interior. I would only want the SSL due to sunroof cause I've never owned a car with a sunroof lol.

My personal favorite is the SE interior. The red stiching looks awesome and the seat feels firmer.
Yep. Love the SE trim. The red stitching ties in nicely with big beautiful Brembos on the outside.

Quick Reply: evo 9 gsr ssl or evo 9 mr