Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

?'s To Ask When Buying A Built EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?'s To Ask When Buying A Built EVO

So I've wanted to get into the EVO scene for a while now and I'm considering buying this one. Problems that I have, since I've never owned one of these bad ****'s, is on what I need to be asking seller's and what I need to look out for when buying a car that has been built up already. Obviously any help is better than no help.

This is the link to the add: http
://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4781017162.html

This is what he has listed on the add:

Up for sale is a fully built 2005 Lancer Evolution GSR SSL Package it currently has 92k miles on the chassis and approximately 2kmiles on the motor build. The motor was built at 90k miles by Wingzperformance. Just recently the tranny was rebuilt roughly 500 miles ago, built by Faisal. Car is well maintained and maintenance kept up to date. Oil is changed every 3k miles with Vavoline Vr1 20w-50 full synthetic oil. Car was a weekend car only and will not be driven until sold.

Block designed to handle 1000+hp and for high revs
2.1L with 2.4 block bore 0.020" over
Manley turbo tuff I-beam rods
Manley 9.0:1 Comp Ratio Platinum Series pistons
OEM uncut 2.0L crankshaft with ACL race bearings
ARP L19 head studs
ARP main studs

-Head
Gsc Beehive springs and Ti retainers
Gsc S3 cams
Stock ported intake manifold with a S70mm throttle body

-Turbo kit
T3 manifold with Garrett gt35r 0.82ar hotside journal bearing turbo
Tial 44mm MVR Wastegate
3in V-band o2 housing and dowmpipe

-Fuel
Wingz Double pumper (2 walbro 255 fuel pumps)
FIC1450cc
Perrin Fuel Rail
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pressure regulator

- Interior
Triple gauge pillar
Pro sport oil pressure gauge
Aem Wideband Air fuel ratio gauge
Aem electronic boost gauge

- Perrin 4in FMIC with custom short route 2.5in intercooler piping with all T-bolt clamps and silicon couplers
- Tial BOV
- Small battery kit with small battery

- Speed Density conversion all Wingz E85 tuned with stock ECU using OpenSource
- Car is making ~650whp at 35PSI

Wheels
17in RPF1
Tires
Hankook r-s3 still have 80% life left

Asking for 21k OBO open to all offers but please NO LOW *****

I know this sounds pretty crazy since this would be my first EVO but it's been difficult to find something that is more stock without a crazy amount of miles. I wouldn't be driving it with this aggressive of a tune. Like I said anything would help
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Buying a built evo will usually always be a money pit maintaining/fixing. but if you were planing on doing it anyways than its a good start. but I didnt see any mention of upgraded trans or clutch or transfer case or anything else on the drive line so all that will go quickly at that power level.

You mentioned tuning it down that will help with things but youll prob want to go to a smaller turbo than for better driveabliity with less lag.

From talking to people cars like this do not make very good dd cars. so hopefully you have another car to use for most driving.

Last edited by slvrevo84; Dec 20, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 05:28 AM

So even if I got it down to about 21psi you don't think I would be able to daily it? I also thought that the drive train on these EVO's were already set up to be able to withstand a good amount of power? It just seems like a whole lot of car for not a terrible amount of money and i'm dying for some power hah
Old Dec 20, 2014, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Buying a built evo can be fine if you have all the info. Knowing who built it is good, but knowing how it's built is better. How were the fasteners torqued? What are the clearences? How are the rings gapped, what type of machine work was done and what equipment was used? Basically, get to know it as if you built it.
Then learn how it was broken in and driven. Also maintenance (not just oil changes) and what's needed fixing so far.
A common sore point for alot of "built" evos is the tune. Not necessarily how it makes power, as that's the simplest thing to tune for, but rather the drivability factor. Partial throttle, idle, cold start.
Once you've gone over all this and if it satisfies you, take the info to someone who is more familiar with this platform and will be more critical and will want even more info. If you get the thumbs up from them it sounds like it's time to make a choice.
Keep in mind that even with all this done, you're still going to end up spending more money along the way. You will break things.
Good luck.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 07:01 AM

Very helpful, thank you. I'm just so damn conflicted on what the best route is. I got the money to spend on a good car but I don't know if it's better to buy one more stock for the same price if not more or buy one with the parts that I want to put on it anyways. I don't know how you guys make these choices when there are soooo many
Old Dec 20, 2014, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
if you are looking for a DD... i would look else where....
I bough a used 09 gts lancer for 9000 and drive it every day.

i have a built evo with similar mods to the one you are looking at and there is no way i would DD that thing.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
As long as the motor was built by a legit shop, and the car has a good tune it should be rock solid. I think most people spend so much time and money on there build that they loose interest in the car. Then they slap on a huge turbo, and the car is not fun anymore. That low end performance is what brings out the smiles .
Old Dec 21, 2014, 06:36 AM

Right on. Thanks for the response. I got some thinking to do...
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:24 AM

I think the route to go is to spend a little more money on a stock EVO IX with a lot less miles. At least that way I'll know everything about what's happened with the engine work.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whoshat
So even if I got it down to about 21psi you don't think I would be able to daily it? I also thought that the drive train on these EVO's were already set up to be able to withstand a good amount of power? It just seems like a whole lot of car for not a terrible amount of money and i'm dying for some power hah
Can handle lotza power =\= "will last a long time" or "lo-maintenance".

Look at a Top Fuel Funny Car. They handle more power than a grid full of racing Evos, but they are extremely high-maintenance and don't last long at all. Extreme example, but you get the point.

Far as buying a built Evo goes: it can work, but only if you have much ca$h set aside for repairs, AND you really know these cars and what you are doing. (This is similar to the perennial question: can I buy this broken Evo and fix it and save some money? Answer: maybe, if you know what you are doing. Otherwise, you just bought someone else's headache.)

Don't take this personal, but if you are asking these types of questions here, you probably don't know the platform that well, and the internet will only take you so far. I know that I don't have the skillz, so why I waited for a basically stock IX.

Last edited by mrowka; Dec 21, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by whoshat
I think the route to go is to spend a little more money on a stock EVO IX with a lot less miles. At least that way I'll know everything about what's happened with the engine work.

as above, which is what I did, then you can grow with the car. If you go with an end game then what interest will you have in modding your beast and bonding with it in the mean time.

The Evo is more about the journey and what you discover on the way there
Old Dec 22, 2014, 05:54 AM

I am definitely new to this platform and have some things to learn, but that's why I can't wait to get started. I found an EVO IX with 50k on the clock that's pretty much bone stock. I think buying the first car I posted about would be like showing up for a race, getting the gold, and not even having to compete for it haha. You guys have been very helpful and I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more to come from me.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

easiest way when thinking about purchasing any built car is to call the shop who built it. go there if possible, talk about the ins and outs of the car. Or have a reputable shop do a pre-buy inspection to find any items missing.

That being said, sounds like you should pass on this one. Is this going to be your only car or your dd? all the above advice is correct, these cars lose a lot of fun on the street with big power. could be a nightmare to drive if your in a city, depending on comfort level.

gl with the hunt
Old Dec 27, 2014, 07:11 PM

So when it all came down to it I had the RR EVO IX in my sights and it was NICE!!! 50k on the clock, beautiful condition, and the price tag was about 22k. And it was stock... but I just couldn't do it. I thought about paying it off and not having the extra cash for the parts I want.

Sooo I decided to go with the VIII. It's got amazing parts and the tuner was great to talk too. He gave me the assurance I needed. It's not my build but at least it will be something to learn from. And I'll be saving a lot of cash on going fast )
Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

i for one applaud you for deciding, most of these new buyers can't decide. get in get wet.