Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

camshaft & turbo opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015 | 12:37 AM

Question camshaft & turbo opinions

hey guys looking at a set putting a set of HKS 280 in the evo 8 aswell as a evo 9 turbo.. ive asked a lot of different people if the cam duration might be a bit big for the turbo and make it way to laggy but i keep getting mixed answers, what do you fellas reckon?
Thanks in advance!!!
Old Jan 5, 2015 | 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

you will be fine. although they are 280's they lift (10.2) is still mild. i run kelford 272's which have a more aggressive lift (11.0) on my stock turbo and it suits well.
Old Jan 5, 2015 | 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Want a nice bump in power for not a lot of money? Do what I did and get the FP 71HTA CHRA upgrade. It's 600 bucks and swaps out a stock IX turbos CHRA and bolts right into the stock hot side. It'll net you a lot more power.

As for cams look past HKS, they're not really worth it. Look at GSC S2's or Kelford 272's.
Old Jan 5, 2015 | 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Want a nice bump in power for not a lot of money? Do what I did and get the FP 71HTA CHRA upgrade. It's 600 bucks and swaps out a stock IX turbos CHRA and bolts right into the stock hot side. It'll net you a lot more power.

As for cams look past HKS, they're not really worth it. Look at GSC S2's or Kelford 272's.
^^ That's what I meant to say unless you already have the HKS cams.
Old Jan 6, 2015 | 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

+1 for GSC S2's or Kelford 272's.

The Turbo depends on your price range. I always suggest BBK Fulls for stock block street cars.
Old Jan 6, 2015 | 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

GSCs2's and stock turbo would be good but all depends on your whp goals
Old Jan 6, 2015 | 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, that's a lot of duration for a stock turbo since that's the question you asked. Try looking at this in a different way-- whats the current red line, what are the power bands of the cams you want and the turbo you have or are considering? The more overlap you have in the rmp ranges noted the better the combination will be. For example, No real sense in a big cam that builds power after 4k if the rmp limit of the motor is 7.5k and the turbos range is from 3-7k. Much better is the cam comes on at 3k and so does the turbo and the usable power range is 4500 rpm instead of 3500rpm. Just a thought.
Old Jan 6, 2015 | 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
Yes, that's a lot of duration for a stock turbo since that's the question you asked. Try looking at this in a different way-- whats the current red line, what are the power bands of the cams you want and the turbo you have or are considering? The more overlap you have in the rmp ranges noted the better the combination will be. For example, No real sense in a big cam that builds power after 4k if the rmp limit of the motor is 7.5k and the turbos range is from 3-7k. Much better is the cam comes on at 3k and so does the turbo and the usable power range is 4500 rpm instead of 3500rpm. Just a thought.
Exactly. You need to determine what you want and honestly the Evo 9 turbo has no real gains over the Evo 8 turbo, do something that will spool when you want to and have reasonable power expectations that go along with that and your supporting mods. 71HTA is available without the turbine housing and if yours is good--- that is a decent power gain over the stock turbo without sacrificing when it makes full boost, just make sure your housing is in good shape first. For cams, I would say the HKS 280's are great if you already have them (ran them years ago and were a nice cam if tuned/ setup is right), but if you do not already have them, then take a look at the Kelford 272's or the 264's as I did since my powerband is centered for autocross and I found they were a better match for my setup.
Old Jan 6, 2015 | 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Go with a big cam or don't do them at all is my opinion.