Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my mechanic didnt know what my evo was?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
my mechanic didnt know what my evo was?

So I use my family mechanic for stuff I can't do myself with my DD cars, like cam chain and clutchs etc. But I wouldnt take my evo to him, until I need him to do an inspection for rego purposes.
So yesterday I took it up to him for the first time, this guy has a full workshop with 3 mechanics working for him. As I parked it out the front he says ...." so what is that?" as I roll it into the workshop, he then says "so it looks like its got lots of mods" and I say no its factory standard, not mentioning the pipe and tune" he then opens the hood and stares as the motor for a second,probably expecting to see some weird mod.... then I say be careful not to push down on the hood its aluminium, he then walks off and does the paper work after checking the lights.
Another old bloke getting his family car serviced walks up to me and says...wow that looks great what is it?

I need to get use to all this being a new evo owner

Last edited by Jonno99; Jan 9, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't have him do any work on your car.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47po
Don't have him do any work on your car.
This X100000
Old Jan 9, 2015, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

In ALLLL seriousness, Please take everyone's advice and DO NOT have him work on your evo. Work on an evo has to be very very very very very VERY meticulous.. Find a reliable evo shop local to you and take your car there and there only!!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo-shop.html

Last edited by BkzProblem; Jan 9, 2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

I trust a couple of the guys at the shop I used to work at, key word couple. The sad thing is that the evo is one of the easier platforms to work with since theres so much space. Imagine 3000gt vr4s or 300zxs.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
So I use my family mechanic for stuff I can't do myself with my DD cars, like cam chain and clutchs etc. But I wouldnt take my evo to him, until I need him to do an inspection for rego purposes.
So yesterday I took it up to him for the first time, this guy has a full workshop with 3 mechanics working for him. As I parked it out the front he says ...." so what is that?" as I roll it into the workshop, he then says "so it looks like its got lots of mods" and I say no its factory standard, not mentioning the pipe and tune" he then opens the hood and stares as the motor for a second,probably expecting to see some weird mod.... then I say be careful not to push down on the hood its aluminium, he then walks off and does the paper work after checking the lights.
Another old bloke getting his family car serviced walks up to me and says...wow that looks great what is it?

I need to get use to all this being a new evo owner
ya definitly a sign that you shouldnt get your car worked on there....
Old Jan 10, 2015, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have said, I would avoid unless there is basic work he could do but honestly I would recommend you do that stuff anyways assuming you have time and a place to put the Evo on jackstands.

Also, get used to the attention from people, both positive and negative. I have been fortunate to have mostly positive attention except for the one time I drove my car to the NHRA drag races and some uneducated d-bags yelled "fried rice" a few times - and I drive a 100% stock exterior Evo...
Old Jan 10, 2015, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hahahah all the time, especially when you have someone come up to and say "is that one of them dere subarus" lmao
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

run.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

ya the shady tree mechanics is a no no for our cars. maybe be expensive to go to a profession but cheaper in long run when they dont know what they are doing and you have to replace stuff.
but ya you will get lot of older people no knowing these cars..
Old Jan 11, 2015, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
is everyone blind telling him not to bring his evo to this shop when he already knows better?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Sometimes you have to say it outloud just in case.

Even people claiming to be professionals need to be vetted. I don't know how other car platforms are but these cars are finicky and you can't half *** anything. If your mechanic doesn't know what hes doing it could end up costing you thousands of dollars.

I'm speaking from experience.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I always get "why did you put a wing on a 4 door family car" I’m just like ughhh. Get used to the dumb comment’s from ignorant people.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BkzProblem
In ALLLL seriousness, Please take everyone's advice and DO NOT have him work on your evo. Work on an evo has to be very very very very very VERY meticulous.. Find a reliable evo shop local to you and take your car there and there only!!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo-shop.html
What this guy said.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by thatguy5
I trust a couple of the guys at the shop I used to work at, key word couple. The sad thing is that the evo is one of the easier platforms to work with since theres so much space. Imagine 3000gt vr4s or 300zxs.
This... I have owned both of those and the Evo was cake to rebuild. You can't get to anything on those cars, but tranny and TC I won't touch on the Evo, someone with more skill can do that.

Quick Reply: my mechanic didnt know what my evo was?