Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Total Cost of Ownership a Year Down the Road

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Cost of Ownership a Year Down the Road

Was just looking back at thoughts a year ago on what the Total Cost of Ownership would be on the Evo.. wondering how many miles people got out of their stock tires.. who opted to go with less performance oriented tires to save some pennies and such..

So after 9 months to a year, what kind of MOnthly Average TCO are people seeing? ( Car Registratipon, Inspection, Gas, Insurance, Car Payment, Repairs, Oil, Gas, Brake Fluid, Brake Pads, Rotors, etc... )

So a clutch and tcase of ~1000 + 2500 + 500 install for $4000 / 12 mos = $333/mo for the first year adds to the TCO at whatever car payment + down payment + gas + oil + Tires + insurance + registration + inspection

With Car Payment $500 + $100 Insurance + monthly bits $200 + $200 Tires = $1350/mo?

Last edited by Mister2zx3; Mar 16, 2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Lets see... replacement clucth because the stock one fell apart, 500 +500 install, Transfer case, because the stock one fell apart 2500 + whatever the install is(no idea) if they don't cover mine under warranty. + gas depends on how much you drive.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Not including unnecessary mods, I've spent $700 on snow tires, probably about $500 on servicing (17,000 miles in one year), untold amounts on gas (I fill up maybe 2x a week), nothing broken or repaired (until I get my bumper fixed - but that was not a break-down). The car hasn't cost any more than I expected. The biggest jump was from conventional oil changes to synthetic. Otherwise this car has cost what my previous cars cost. I'm sure depreciation is going to be big and I don't want to get into how much I've spent on mods....
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

My oem tires lasted 19000 miles. Replaced them with a set of Azenis $480 for 4 mounted and balanced.

Replaced stock brake fluid at 1000 miles to Motul RBF600. $15 a quart...x3 quarts. $45

27000 miles of driving.

7 oil changes with Mobil 1 and Mitsu filter. Appx $35 per. $245 total.

At 25mpg, I used 1080 gallons of fuel. At an avg price of $1.80 a gallon, that equals $1944 in gas.

Car payments $440 a month. $5280 for the year.
Insurance $150 a month. $1800 for the year.

Car cleaning supplies appx $120 for the year.

$9794 total spent on my Evo this year. Thats not insignificant! But my number is going to be a good bit lower than those individuals who went through a few clutches/brakes/rotors, or financed the whole cost of the car!

SC~
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Secret Please factor in your downpayment as well since that lowers your monthly payment at the TCO's front end ( or initial portion ) expense being higher.. BUt ~$825/mo is pretty good.. Still on stock pads. that's real good for 27,000 miles.

This is a Total Cost of Ownership for the first year. and especially a budget for the first year, the downpayment is part of it. If someone paid for the car outright, you have to have budgeted that expenditure, whether it's amortized for the first 12 months of a xx months note/lease.. other wise a Total Cost of Ownership would be innacurate for those who paid for the car up front and had no monthly payments. All costs for the car have to be accounted for.

Last edited by Mister2zx3; Mar 16, 2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

One year budgets usually account for all ongoing expenses of the cars ownership throughout the year. The initial cost to get into the seat isn't usually factored into the equation I thought?

I'm still on my original pads, rotors and clutch. My pads still have appx 30% left on them.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

So far my EVO has costed no more than any other car. Just gas, 1 oil change, and thats it. Bought the car in June 03 and now have 5500 mils on it.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

What do you folks think depreciation is for an EVO compared to other $30k cars? That is normally the biggest single element in TCO.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

Guys,

Cars like EVOs have very little resell value.. think about it... everyone wants value... most of us here who buy the evo do so because we enjoy the thrill of driving and the EVO is IMHO, the best 4 door, 4wd saloon in its class.. its not a luxurious vehicle.. its a race car and we drive it like one...

So... how much would you spend on a used EVO if you understand the mentality of the people who drives EVOs? Only people who are like us will pay a premium for cars like this.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Secret thanks for giving some good numbers. Down payment to get that monthly payment woul dhelp too. Anyone else have numbers for what their expenses have been thus far?
Old May 16, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

anyone? anyone?
Old May 17, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Angel Of Mercy
Guys,

Cars like EVOs have very little resell value.. think about it... everyone wants value... most of us here who buy the evo do so because we enjoy the thrill of driving and the EVO is IMHO, the best 4 door, 4wd saloon in its class.. its not a luxurious vehicle.. its a race car and we drive it like one...

So... how much would you spend on a used EVO if you understand the mentality of the people who drives EVOs? Only people who are like us will pay a premium for cars like this.
I think the EVOs will have decent resale value. They're not going to depreciate as fast as DSMs since, in stock trim, they are built on a much better platform. There are a lot of people who want EVOs that don't want to buy them new. So given the supply and demand, I think our EVOs will fair pretty well in the used market for years to come. Who wouldn't want a race-ready car from the factory?
Old May 17, 2004, 06:17 PM

Evo depreciation will occur a lot like any other car: it will depend on the condition of the car. Nobody is going to get much money out of their modifications because people's distrust of the quality (justified or not) and concern about potential problems cancels out any extra $$ they're willing to pay. Poorly done mods will hurt depreciaiton a lot. A car with a full service history, no wrecks, and in good repair should retain its resale value just fine. There are plenty of people interested in purchasing used performance cars if they're "clean."

S.
Old May 17, 2004, 06:40 PM

I agree with srivendel. 10 years ago the rx-7's and Supras were in their prime... Try to find a 1995 TT Supra that has under 100k miles on it for under 15k. Once Fast and the Furious hit that feat seems near impossible... Shoot, If in the year 2014 I can get 15 for my evo, I think that will be a damn nice sell ... You also have to think about rarity and how kids are flocking to these cars. Ever since the import scene hit big every kid wants a supra or an rx-7 or a 300zx TT... and they are paying alot of money for them! Are they worth that much ? Probably not, but its all about supply and demand...So we need to keep our supply low

Last edited by dmans_evo; May 17, 2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old May 17, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dmans_evo
I agree with srivendel. 10 years ago the rx-7's and Supras were in their prime... Try to find a 1995 TT Supra that has under 100k miles on it for under 15k. Once Fast and the Furious hit that feat seems near impossible... Shoot, If in the year 2014 I can get 15 for my evo, I think that will be a damn nice sell ... You also have to think about rarity and how kids are flocking to these cars. Ever since the import scene hit big every kid wants a supra or an rx-7 or a 300zx TT... and they are paying alot of money for them! Are they worth that much ? Probably not, but its all about supply and demand...So we need to keep our supply low
and now 2 fast 2 furious had an evo as one of the main cars, no lines in front of the mitsu dealer, the puke green car was hideous!

Quick Reply: Total Cost of Ownership a Year Down the Road