Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 accidentally towed on dolly? Help please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhsj13
The tow company/driver should know what kind of vehicle he is working with. you need to contact his boss/manager/supervisor.
2nd this, the tow driver is at fault, and the company should be held liable, this is their business, they're suppose to know what type of drivetrain is on the vehicle they are towing BEFORE they tow it
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clowns
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:48 PM

the coupler in your t case is probably damaged .... def check and change fluid b4 u drive it take pictures and strain the fluid and talk to a lawyer and find out what you can make the towing company do about damages cause generally speaking evo on dolly = smoked tcase and possibly rear end clutch packs as well ..... hope everything is ok n what not but ya def inspect things b4 u drive it
Old Jan 24, 2015, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

subd
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
On a slightly OT note, isn't the ACD system (if equipped) supposed to disengage the rear wheels when the hand brake is pulled to allow handbrake turns/drifts for rally?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by deeman101
On a slightly OT note, isn't the ACD system (if equipped) supposed to disengage the rear wheels when the hand brake is pulled to allow handbrake turns/drifts for rally?
This happened on an 03 Evo, haven't updated my "vehicles" on my profile in a bit. So no ACD is included.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

In for the updates.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 05:05 AM

If you haven't damaged something you need to buy a lotto ticket. They are negligent and are responsible for damages. I assume you have spoken to management and informed them of this?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 05:54 AM

Transfer case is prob toast yea he should've disengaged the drive shaft or not have towed it at all get in touch with the tow company
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

According to this old thread, a member posted that it didn't hurt his diff just wore friction plates a bit. He still managed to put 35k miles on it. PM him and ask how its going.
Post#5
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/to...l-control.html
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The ACD clutches don't sit in the Tcase oil, so that isn't going to tell you anything.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:08 AM

Called the manager of the towing company a few days ago. He told me he was sorry and he wished me good luck. He says that the car was "crashed" so the tcase might broken from the crash. Heres a bit of the story: It was missing a bumper and fender at the time of tow to get me easier access to the strut and LCA. The car did hit a curb, and that caused the LCA to be pushed back along with the strut/hub. I removed the axle, but couldn't continue cause the flatbed already arrived. I put the wheel on the hub and the wheel hub flew apart when the car was pushed on 4 wheels. That's when I called the split fork towing to put it on the flatbed. He moved the car like 15 feet to get it on the flatbed. Then I drove home 150miles away, with the flatbed behind me. He stopped at his house 10 miles away. In the morning he brought the car on a similar split end/fork towing truck, so 2 rear wheels were on the ground while the 3rd wheel was strapped in and the 4th wheel was missing. Asked the driver why the hell he brought it on a tow truck, he said to take it up with his boss. And the boss says he won't do anything for me now. Buying new tcase fluid tomorrow, so I will drain and see the results tomorrow.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Id let them know you have intentions to take this further if damages is done (which I would think your tcase is toast for sure). With that said, IDGAF if the car was wrecked or not. That is not an excuse to improperly tow the vehicle. Even if the drivetrain was previously damaged due to an accident, that's the Tow Company's fault now. If they didn't want to be held liable then they should probably learn a thing or two about their own field of work and the vehicle they might encounter.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
The ACD/VCU can't be damaged by an accident unless the case gets cracked. Unfortunately, if they push the issue to making you take them to court, you'll be better off just letting it go..
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by EVOjunky
Id let them know you have intentions to take this further if damages is done (which I would think your tcase is toast for sure). With that said, IDGAF if the car was wrecked or not. That is not an excuse to improperly tow the vehicle. Even if the drivetrain was previously damaged due to an accident, that's the Tow Company's fault now. If they didn't want to be held liable then they should probably learn a thing or two about their own field of work and the vehicle they might encounter.
I agree with this. Just because something may be damaged does not make it okay to make things worse. I would let the company know that I wouldn't settle for their explanation and expect compensation. Who is to say that the wreck did more damage than they did?

Quick Reply: Evo 8 accidentally towed on dolly? Help please