Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 accidentally towed on dolly? Help please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V8HAHA
According to this old thread, a member posted that it didn't hurt his diff just wore friction plates a bit. He still managed to put 35k miles on it. PM him and ask how its going.
Post#5
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/to...l-control.html
Dude thanks a lot for that thread. I did contact the guy that had his evo towed incorrectly. He said his center diff started whining at 90k, more than 35k miles after the tow. And he had more damage done, since his car was towed for 25 miles. This puts tons of ease on me.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attorney might be in your near future
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I thought everyone knew the diff isn't what gets hurt. Its the VCU or ACD clutches.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You needed one of these.
Put next to the Vin#

Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RuskiEvo
Dude thanks a lot for that thread. I did contact the guy that had his evo towed incorrectly. He said his center diff started whining at 90k, more than 35k miles after the tow. And he had more damage done, since his car was towed for 25 miles. This puts tons of ease on me.
Yeah no problem, I hope it all goes well for u.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Hire an atty. The company will do nothing to help you voluntarily.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Called the manager of the towing company a few days ago. He told me he was sorry and he wished me good luck. He says that the car was "crashed" so the tcase might broken from the crash. Heres a bit of the story: It was missing a bumper and fender at the time of tow to get me easier access to the strut and LCA. The car did hit a curb, and that caused the LCA to be pushed back along with the strut/hub. I removed the axle, but couldn't continue cause the flatbed already arrived. I put the wheel on the hub and the wheel hub flew apart when the car was pushed on 4 wheels. That's when I called the split fork towing to put it on the flatbed. He moved the car like 15 feet to get it on the flatbed. Then I drove home 150miles away, with the flatbed behind me. He stopped at his house 10 miles away. In the morning he brought the car on a similar split end/fork towing truck, so 2 rear wheels were on the ground while the 3rd wheel was strapped in and the 4th wheel was missing. Asked the driver why the hell he brought it on a tow truck, he said to take it up with his boss. And the boss says he won't do anything for me now. Buying new tcase fluid tomorrow, so I will drain and see the results tomorrow.
lawyer up
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

you didn't by chance take a picture of your evo showing up at your house being towed on two wheels?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4bangn
you didn't by chance take a picture of your evo showing up at your house being towed on two wheels?
I did! Why do you ask?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
That way you have proof that they screwed up!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

1) even IF you T-Case isn't damaged (And that would be a miracle) at a minimum it will start whining sooner then it would've if they didn't do this.

2) The owner already saying good luck god speed means they are DARING you to lawyer up. There is a thread of a shop that screwed a forum member and he is taking them to court with WAY more evidence on his side and they are delaying it as much as possible just trying to wait him out until he either runs out of money or gives up (or both). I GURANTEE this tow truck place will do you the same way (And this is for less money).

3) Cost of a Tcase rebuild would be cheaper then pursuing this unless you want to PROVE to the tow truck company they can't just do something like this and walk away.

4) Let this be a lesson to all of you. If you have to get towed. I would 1) Record the conversation with the tow truck driver with you explaining why the car NEEDS to be flatbedded and the damage it will cause, 2) take pictures of the car on the flatbed when they initially get it on the truck and when they get it off, and 3) Don't let the car out of your site.

Its UBER paranoid but a lot of these businesses get off screwing people because its normally not enough money for someone to go through the time and financial drain of sue'ing(sp) in court.

That being said. Good luck. I hope your TCase isn't damaged and I hope if it is the Tow truck agency will actually do whats right. SO hard to find a business that will do the right thing in times like these.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

I did! Why do you ask?
evidence
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
1) even IF you T-Case isn't damaged (And that would be a miracle) at a minimum it will start whining sooner then it would've if they didn't do this.

2) The owner already saying good luck god speed means they are DARING you to lawyer up. There is a thread of a shop that screwed a forum member and he is taking them to court with WAY more evidence on his side and they are delaying it as much as possible just trying to wait him out until he either runs out of money or gives up (or both). I GURANTEE this tow truck place will do you the same way (And this is for less money).

3) Cost of a Tcase rebuild would be cheaper then pursuing this unless you want to PROVE to the tow truck company they can't just do something like this and walk away.

4) Let this be a lesson to all of you. If you have to get towed. I would 1) Record the conversation with the tow truck driver with you explaining why the car NEEDS to be flatbedded and the damage it will cause, 2) take pictures of the car on the flatbed when they initially get it on the truck and when they get it off, and 3) Don't let the car out of your site.

Its UBER paranoid but a lot of these businesses get off screwing people because its normally not enough money for someone to go through the time and financial drain of sue'ing(sp) in court.

That being said. Good luck. I hope your TCase isn't damaged and I hope if it is the Tow truck agency will actually do whats right. SO hard to find a business that will do the right thing in times like these.
he may not necessarily need a lawyer, time's like these is why they have small claims court (most states up to $5,000 I believe...I've watched Judge Judy LOL), he won't need a lawyer, take it to a shop and get the T-case inspected for any damage and estimate to fix, bring that and the picture with the tow company's truck and logo on the truck (hopefully) and file a claim against the company, and you can usually get your court fees in your favor since the tow company didn't want to do right in the first place, I think with the picture and getting repair estimates from a shop, you would have a solid claim
Old Feb 2, 2015, 04:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla

No, it won't.

The ONLY thing effected by the car being towed on one axle is the ACD clutch pack, that is it. The tcase "whine" comes from the ring and pinion gears which sit in an oil bath and give zero ****s as to how the car is towed. The logic you guys have saying the tcase ring and pinion are now bad would be the same logic say the rear diff is now blown up too. Its simply not.
It hurts the ACD clutch pack, and the ACD clutch pack ONLY. This is because the clutch pack is slipping the whole time its being towed, which its not design to do.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the education.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 accidentally towed on dolly? Help please