Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 8 accidentally towed on dolly? Help please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad towed my brothers' evo 9 gsr on a dolly for a couple mikes before it started smoking from t case. T case was shredded inside.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah, forgot to update. I drained it, not a single speck of metal or anything. I was extremely surprised at how clean the tcase oil was.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
you can flat tow a manual transmission car no problem.

That's only an issue with auto trans cars where you would have the output shaft being turned, but the pump isn't pumping fluid because the engine is off.
but if the car is AWD with an ACD, I'd imagine it's better for the car to be running so the pumps are running keeping the fluid cycling through the ACD system, so yes you could tow an evo but I would have it running (if able), and it shouldn't matter what speed, it would be no different if the car was driven under it's own power or pulled as long as it's running
Old Feb 5, 2015, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

and this thread has people going back and forth about it's ok to tow a 2 wheels on the ground on an AWD, bottom line, don't ever tow a vehicle with FULL TIME AWD with two wheels on the ground, flatbed it every time, why risk damaging
Old Feb 5, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

and not to thread jack but this new main page layout sucks, mods please go back to the way it was, that old saying, don't fix it if it ain't broke
Old Feb 5, 2015, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by RuskiEvo
Oh yeah, forgot to update. I drained it, not a single speck of metal or anything. I was extremely surprised at how clean the tcase oil was.

you're not reading my posts, are you? The tcase oil will show no signs of damage as that oil is only the ring and pinion oil, which as I've said before does not care as to how the car is towed because its a gearset in an oilbath.

The damage done is to the ACD clutches which will have ZERO effect on how the tcase gear oil looks.

Originally Posted by 4bangn
but if the car is AWD with an ACD, I'd imagine it's better for the car to be running so the pumps are running keeping the fluid cycling through the ACD system, so yes you could tow an evo but I would have it running (if able), and it shouldn't matter what speed, it would be no different if the car was driven under it's own power or pulled as long as it's running
You clearly have no idea as to how the ACD system works.

It is simply a hydraulically operated clutch pack. The fluid from the ACD pump does not provide lubrication, it simply actuates a pistons that applies force from the clutch. Flat towing any vehicle with a standard manual trans is no issue. The fluid doesn't even "cycle through" there is only one line since all that happens is the pump varies the pressure on the piston to vary the clamping force on the clutches.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Feb 5, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

you're not reading my posts, are you? The tcase oil will show no signs of damage as that oil is only the ring and pinion oil, which as I've said before does not care as to how the car is towed because its a gearset in an oilbath.

The damage done is to the ACD clutches which will have ZERO effect on how the tcase gear oil looks.

It is simply a hydraulically operated clutch pack. The fluid from the ACD pump does not provide lubrication, it simply actuates a pistons that applies force from the clutch. Flat towing any vehicle with a standard manual trans is no issue. The fluid doesn't even "cycle through" there is only one line since all that happens is the pump varies the pressure on the piston to vary the clamping force on the clutches.
you clearly misread my post, so let me ask this, when someone's pulling their ACD equipped evo with the vehicle off, you think the ACD is working???? no, there's a bit more than just the clutches in the differentials, there's an ecu and various sensors collecting input and relaying that to the ACD to accomodate, basically my point was, I would never tow an AWD vehicle with an "ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED" ACD with the vehicle off, cars off=ACD off,
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:48 AM
EvoM Guru

you clearly misread my post, so let me ask this, when someone's pulling their ACD equipped evo with the vehicle off, you think the ACD is working???? no, there's a bit more than just the clutches in the differentials, there's an ecu and various sensors collecting input and relaying that to the ACD to accomodate, basically my point was, I would never tow an AWD vehicle with an "ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED" ACD with the vehicle off, cars off=ACD off,

I didn't misread, you don't know how the ACD works. The ACD doesn't have to be "working" if you're flat towing the car. The only time it will slip the clutches is when you make the turn. And, guess what? That's exactly what happens when you're driving the car anyways, it slips the ACD clutch to "un-pair" the front and rear axles so they can turn at the different speeds they need to to make the car go through the corner without binding up the drivetrain and making the car buck.

It really is just clutches and differentials. If you had a full understanding of how these things worked, you would see that I'm right. /debate.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have missed it. So many updates on this thread and I didn't notice yours about the tcase fluid not showing signs of wear to the clutch packs. Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by babaz7
just a general knowledge question for myself..

can the evo 8 be towed on all four wheels on the ground at slow speeds?
I didn't misread, you don't know how the ACD works. The ACD doesn't have to be "working" if you're flat towing the car. The only time it will slip the clutches is when you make the turn. And, guess what? That's exactly what happens when you're driving the car anyways, it slips the ACD clutch to "un-pair" the front and rear axles so they can turn at the different speeds they need to to make the car go through the corner without binding up the drivetrain and making the car buck.

It really is just clutches and differentials. If you had a full understanding of how these things worked, you would see that I'm right. /debate.

I guess I could have quoted the actual question I was answering and to the fact that I was talking towards someone pulling their evo with a strap, obviously your not going to strap your car to a truck and just drag it without someone sitting in the evo to compensate for steering as the car is not going to steer itself so in turn you would need it running in order for the ACD to react to the steering, etc. not to mention power steering to steer, so again, either I didn't clearly explain it well enough for some or your just not getting it, I know how an ACD works and if your planning on pulling it with a strap at high speeds, you would want the car running
Old Feb 5, 2015, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

I guess I could have quoted the actual question I was answering and to the fact that I was talking towards someone pulling their evo with a strap, obviously your not going to strap your car to a truck and just drag it without someone sitting in the evo to compensate for steering as the car is not going to steer itself so in turn you would need it running in order for the ACD to react to the steering, etc. not to mention power steering to steer, so again, either I didn't clearly explain it well enough for some or your just not getting it, I know how an ACD works and if your planning on pulling it with a strap at high speeds, you would want the car running

You've never seen a vehicle flat towed with a tow bar, have you?

It won't hurt anything. End of story. Have a nice day!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

You've never seen a vehicle flat towed with a tow bar, have you?

It won't hurt anything. End of story. Have a nice day!
lol, i figured u misunderstood, i wasn't talking towing with a tow bar, yes i see them all the time on the highway, snow birds towing their car behind their motorhomes down here to Florida for the winter, i was talking as in pulling it with a strap with someone steering, and why on earth would anyone want to have all the equipment that goes with the tow bar mounted on their evo anyway, just trailer it or flatbed it, good god, i'm done with this, some people just hard headed and don't want to admit when they misunderstood, but quick to tell someone else they don't know what they're talking about
Old Feb 5, 2015, 05:19 PM

Umm but unless he upgraded the car, it doesn't have an ACD.... Its an EVO 8 which mean its a viscous coupling.. still could be damaged but It would be warn out fluid, not clutches... I don't Know how to check that but I'm sure someone can chime in.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 09:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Viral Racing
Umm but unless he upgraded the car, it doesn't have an ACD.... Its an EVO 8 which mean its a viscous coupling.. still could be damaged but It would be warn out fluid, not clutches... I don't Know how to check that but I'm sure someone can chime in.
The viscous coupling is self contained. Would have to disassemble it to check it out..

lol, i figured u misunderstood, i wasn't talking towing with a tow bar, yes i see them all the time on the highway, snow birds towing their car behind their motorhomes down here to Florida for the winter, i was talking as in pulling it with a strap with someone steering, and why on earth would anyone want to have all the equipment that goes with the tow bar mounted on their evo anyway, just trailer it or flatbed it, good god, i'm done with this, some people just hard headed and don't want to admit when they misunderstood, but quick to tell someone else they don't know what they're talking about
The only difference between a tow bar and a rope, ir someone is likely turning the steering wheel when rope towing. Still won't hurt the car...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP did it jack up the TC or are you good to go?

Quick Reply: Evo 8 accidentally towed on dolly? Help please